Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Tsai could easily move the team, and with the NHL blessing as well. I don’t think it would take much arm twisting other owners when their revenue sharing cut takes a significant leap. 

The league would very much try to keep the Sabres in Buffalo.  Their broadcast partners like having astronomical TV ratings.  They don't want to lose that.

But, if an owner was dead set on moving the team, not much the league can do to stop it when all is said & done.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And you don't seem to understand that if the NHL takes a franchise to court to keep it playing where they want it to should the league and the owner disagree that the league will most likely lose that lawsuit.

Bettman can wish all he wants and can set roadblocks which can make it difficult & force the new owner to go to court, but if it gets to court, Bettman's wishes likely don't come true.  Where Bettman has leverage is he and the other owners can make life difficult for the selling owners should they pick one that will move the team.  But, if that sale goes through, well under Bettman's tenure the Jets moved, the Whalers moved, & the Thrashers have moved.  Way fewer moves than the NFL or the NBA but they have happened.

The team will not be sold to anyone who does not explicitly agree they will under no circumstances relocate them. Also who is the most powerful owner in the entire league and where is he from?

Yeah, exactly.

And the two teams you mentioned moved because the league wanted them to move and Atlanta literally got kicked out of their arena and there was no choice but to allow a sale/relocation.

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The team will not be sold to anyone who does not explicitly agree they will under no circumstances relocate them. Also who is the most powerful owner in the entire league and where is he from?

Yeah, exactly.

And the two teams you mentioned moved because the league wanted them to move and Atlanta literally got kicked out of their arena and there was no choice but to allow a sale/relocation.

That is an assumption on your part.  IF the Pegulas were to sell, it is difficult to see that assumption being better than 50/50 as there are very few potential owners with enough capital to make an ownership transfer not be underfunded with the owner based out of WNY when people that already own an are excluded.

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

THE SINGLE MOST POWERFUL OWNER IN THE ENTIRE FREAKING LEAGUE IS FROM BUFFALO.

True.  But if an ownership group without local ties succeeds the Pegulas then Jacobs & Bettman won't really be able to do as much as you expect.  And Jacob's is already 82; he isn't going to live forever.

Look.  My expectation is that the Sabres aren't going anywhere.  But IF the Pegulas sell the team outright, it isn't as certain a given as it has historically been.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I know we will want to dance a jig over the idea of getting rid of Terry and Kim

I never understood this sentiment.  Have the Sabres struggled under their ownership?  Yes.  But I've never felt that they should sell the team.  In fact this would be the worst time:  The team finally seems to be headed in a good direction.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I don't think you understand who or what you are dealing with regarding Bettman and the other owners: They are literally going to allow a team to play in a 5,000 seat college rink for the next 4-5 years while a potential deal is worked out rather than allow relocation.

Yes, but it's still a major market and the end game is a new arena in said major market.

Buffalo was barely large enough to support an NHL team when you added a half million Canadians across the border. Without free access to the USA, the Sabres can't survive.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres are an undervalued asset. Move it almost anywhere and it's value doubles.

Well why do we need to hear about that; we couldn’t care less about speculative money a potential owner could earn. We want the team here. Honestly I’d hope one of our crazier fans would scare any potential move happy owner by painting their lawn or something. 

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

I don't think you understand who or what you are dealing with regarding Bettman and the other owners: They are literally going to allow a team to play in a 5,000 seat college rink for the next 4-5 years while a potential deal is worked out rather than allow relocation.

This is obnoxious.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Go on Twitter for 5 minutes.

The Sabres “fans” on Twitter account for 20% or less of the overall fan base. Twitter is definitely not a good representation of any majority opinion good or bad regarding the Sabres. Or any sports team for that matter. 

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes, but it's still a major market and the end game is a new arena in said major market.

Buffalo was barely large enough to support an NHL team when you added a half million Canadians across the border. Without free access to the USA, the Sabres can't survive.

Historically 10% of STH are from Canada each season. If season seats are capped at 15k that would be 1,500. The reason the team is struggling is that they are right now the single worst organization in the modern history of the sport. If the Sabres were a playoff team right now the place would be full regardless of the border issues or the now clearly pointless vax mandates.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Floating around among whom?  I appreciate that you will not want to name names, but a bit more detail would be nice.

I will say that I am fairly familiar with Joe Tsai as a sports owner, since he owns the Brooklyn Nets, of which I am a fan.  PA and the rest of the PA militia would be wise to heed the warnings upthread about being careful what you wish for -- the Nets have become a major player in the NBA under his ownership, but he is more involved than TP is in trades, FA signings and other major franchise decisions.  Also, like TP, there has also been a fair amount of turnover in senior executives working for Tsai. 

In any case, if TP does sell, I wouldn't be shocked if Tsai were the buyer, as he is stinking rich and has evinced an interest in owning multiple sports franchises.

What's not to like? Sounds like he has the chops to pull off what Terry  has not (except with the Bills).

A lot of assumptions being bandied about.

I will just throw out a few thoughts;

1) There is definitely interest in buying, and, maybe for the first time, interest in selling at least part

2) There are, people with money, who don’t view Buffalo as an undervalued franchise. I know at least one Canadian businessman who thinks that an American franchise drawing from Canada is worth more than a Canadian franchise drawing from WNY with one exception, a second Toronto franchise which he believes is fantasyland.

3) There are Americans with money who see WNY as the next big boom area, see Douglas Jemel, for an example 

4) The NHL has to approve new ownership and can insist on new ownership remain committed to WNY. 

5) The St. Louis lawsuit may have changed the perception that municipalities don’t have leverage when it comes to a business that insist on public funds but believes those funds don’t have strings attached 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, tom webster said:

1) There is definitely interest in buying, and, maybe for the first time, interest in selling at least part

2) There are, people with money, who don’t view Buffalo as an undervalued franchise. I know at least one Canadian businessman who thinks that an American franchise drawing from Canada is worth more than a Canadian franchise drawing from WNY with one exception, a second Toronto franchise which he believes is fantasyland.

3) There are Americans with money who see WNY as the next big boom area, see Douglas Jemel, for an example 

4) The NHL has to approve new ownership and can insist on new ownership remain committed to WNY. 

5) The St. Louis lawsuit may have changed the perception that municipalities don’t have leverage when it comes to a business that insist on public funds but believes those funds don’t have strings attached 

You are doing this all wrong. You are not supposed to make rational, intelligent points. 

This is a fan board. You are supposed to say all is doomed and all is lost. Sabres are screwed and gone regardless. Try better next time.😜😁

I think if the Pegulas do want to sell the Sabres they will make sure the team stays in Buffalo.  Especially if they still own the Bills.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

You are doing this all wrong. You are not supposed to make rational, intelligent points. 

This is a fan board. You are supposed to say all is doomed and all is lost. Sabres are screwed and gone regardless. Try better next time.😜😁

I think if the Pegulas do want to sell the Sabres they will make sure the team stays in Buffalo.  Especially if they still own the Bills.

Oh. And never ever say anything positive in the slightest regard (unless you follow it up with it all being sarcastic) regarding the team/franchise. 😂

On 2/12/2022 at 9:14 AM, woods-racer said:

Careful what you wish for, it just may come true.

Right?  People seem to forget the previous owner who wouldn't spend any money, and the owner before that who was a criminal and led the franchise into bankruptcy.  If we're ranking Sabres owners, the Pegulas (everyone please note the lack of an apostrophe there) are no lower than second.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Right?  People seem to forget the previous owner who wouldn't spend any money, and the owner before that who was a criminal and led the franchise into bankruptcy.  If we're ranking Sabres owners, the Pegulas (everyone please note the lack of an apostrophe there) are no lower than second.

Yea. I honestly don’t know all prior owners of all four major sports from the beginning of their creation to 2022 … but I would (albeit ignorantly) bet the Pegulas are not the absolute worst owners ever to own a professional sports team in the history of all four professional sports. “Past era”, “modern era” … just phrases that mean different lengths of time to different people. 

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

And Norman Green swore up and down that he had no intentions of moving the North Stars. 

Not every potential owner is as overt in his intentions as Jim Ballsillie was.  

Really doubt the Pegulas have any interest in selling a majority stake in the Sabres so most if not this entire discussion is moot.  And do agree the league will TRY to find ownership that will commit to staying in Buffalo should the Pegulas decide to sell and will set up roadblocks to a potential move.  But, even with that, the NHL isn't exactly known for vetting potential owners well.  See Bruce McNall & Charles Wang for reference of people that should never have been owners.  And see how close Mark Hammister came to owning the Sabres.  He absolutely would've pulled an Art Modell had Golisano not stepped up and beat him out because like Modell & his ownership of the Browns Hammister was ridiculously undercapitalized.

And for reference, my only reason for getting in this discussion was to counter a claim that "you can't just move a team because you own it;" there is court precedence that says an owner can.

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres are an undervalued asset. Move it almost anywhere and it's value doubles.

You hit it on the head there. Whether it is a new owner, a minority ownership group...anything like that, a quick buck can be made if you are patient enough to see this team moved.

Look, the only way the team stays here is if the owner is local or a huge fan of the franchise (city and team name).  As you said...this team might double in value (or more) the minute they are moved to a different city.  In all honesty, if I'm one of the dozens and dozens of potential sports teams owners out there that wants to make a quick buck (or couple hundred million of them), there may be NO franchise better in any of the major sports leagues to want to target to buy, and move, than the Sabres.

Also remember that if the Bills get a new stadium, there is very little chance of the Sabres getting a new building anytime soon. Re-locate this team and there is a good chance a new city will BUILD you a brand new Arena. 

What would be better for revenues as a new owner? The Sabres playing in a Market the size and value of Buffalo, with dwindling fan support (currently)  in a 25-30 year old building that wasn't even the best when it opened and with no new building in site?  Or the same team with a fan base that sells out every game because the franchise is new to them, with potentially a brand new building, and in a market size/value that is double (or more) what Buffalo is?

The Sabres are probably the #1 choice for the ability to buy low....move, and either sell high OR take in much  higher revenues.  That is the reality of it.

I would be very, VERY afraid, as a Sabres fan, of ANYONE owning this team besides the Pegula's or someone with huge city-of-buffalo ties.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

His daughters are, or at least were, big Sabres fans.  I wonder if the last decade has soured them on ownership.

He's a fan himself.  I wonder why he's doing this.  The only thing that leaps to mind is that he has lost so much money over the decade that he can't stand losing on the ice and losing money.

Just curious, how do you know that his daughters are/were Sabres fans?

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Um, Golisano is the single biggest hero in Sabres history regardless of his penny pinching because he quite literally saved the team. If not for him the team would be a distant memory ala the Buffalo Braves.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.