GDT: Sabres @ Penguins, Nov. 16, 2021, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

PromoTheRobot

13 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Busch league 

Yep. Imagine someone threw Crosby like that? Suspended for a season.

For once, I'd love to see anyone completely nail Crosby with a good CLEAN hard check. Nothing dirty but a full on body hit that would send that punk flying. Again, NOTHING DIRTY, just clean, full force hard. I'd love it!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

For once, I'd love to see anyone completely nail Crosby with a good CLEAN hard check. Nothing dirty but a full on body hit that would send that punk flying. Again, NOTHING DIRTY, just clean, full force hard. I'd love it!

I see what you're saying, but I keep hearing SOMETHING DIRTY in my head....

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Yep, he is of the old school, if you didn't win you lost. The metric usually aligns with the points to get into the playoffs, so it's not terrible, although I prefer points percentage as a better. 0.580 and you're a good chance to get into the playoffs with 95 points. You could be DeLuca.500 at 41-37-4 and easily miss with 86 points. Or be DeLuca.500 at 41-15-26 and be near the top of the league with 108 points.

NHL 0.600 is the key.  If you are at that or better, in this era of loser points, then you are in.  Under that, you might be in but likely aren't.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Is that using the DeLuca Method of counting OL as losses ?   Even with the one point? 

Going back to the days when we had ties, I never heard of this DeLuca stuff?  

57 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Yep, he is of the old school, if you didn't win you lost. The metric usually aligns with the points to get into the playoffs, so it's not terrible, although I prefer points percentage as a better. 0.580 and you're a good chance to get into the playoffs with 95 points. You could be DeLuca.500 at 41-37-4 and easily miss with 86 points. Or be DeLuca.500 at 41-15-26 and be near the top of the league with 108 points.

50 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Really it doesn't matter what metric people use - both can tell you roughly the same thing as long as they are being applied (and understood) properly. 

My contention was never with using points percentage as the defining metric (indeed, it's what the NHL uses). It was always a distinction for me of connotation: In the past, "Five Hundred" was used with the known implication being that of an "average" team. But, because when you get a "loser" point, you are actually "dropping ground" relatively (the other team gets 2 points), the accumulation of that single point isn't "treading water", it's *literally* losing ground relative to the league as a whole, in the macro. 

If you gain 82 points in 82 games, you are near the bottom of the league. 

So you can call a .500 points percentage team "five hundred", it just doesn't mean anything. Other than that you are a pretty poor team, I guess 

- - - 

For me the purpose of "deluca .500" was always that it was a quick way of designating yourself an "average team or better" in much the same way the OLD "five hundred" used to be. 

You can hang your hat on being "deluca .500" I think. You are winning as many as you lose. 

@MattPie and @Thorny beat me to it.  NHL .500 is an utterly meaningless stat (and I'd also note that the Sabres left the rink with a loss 2 more times than they left with a win, so I'd say NHL .500 is fundamentally inaccurate).  DeLuca .500 is a very good shorthand stat, while points percentage is the most precise and accurate, although less useful IMHO because no one other than @Taro T is going to whip out the calculator and calculate points percentage while looking at the standings.

30 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Jeez.  Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

And Crosby is the farthest thing in the world from being a "punk" IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Either that or Peyton tells Him about His new best friends JJ and Jack. 

I can already picture the scene in March when the Amerks get called up.

Krebs grabs a tray and heads into the lunchroom.

Cozens smiles an eager smile and slides over on his bench to make room.

Krebs refuses to make eye contact, strides past, and plunks himself down two tables over between Jack and JJ, to laughter and high-fives.

Cozens face sags. He turns back to his plate.

Anders Bjork says "hey Dilly, is this seat taken?"

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Is that using the DeLuca Method of counting OL as losses ?   Even with the one point? 

Going back to the days when we had ties, I never heard of this DeLuca stuff?  

The legendary DeLuca insisted losses are losses, even if you earn a point, even as ties used to be a thing in the NHL.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

Well "old school" would mean recognizing that NHL games used to end in ties and weren't considered losses. He's actually quite NEW school.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

The bold is the flaw with the DeLuca thing. It not a real stat, at least not an old school stat - a tie in regulation is still a point. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The bold is the flaw with the DeLuca thing. It not a real stat, at least not an old school stat - a tie in regulation is still a point. 

Except calling a team with more losses than wins above .500 is ***** weird. I don’t care how the NHL does their stupid point system.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

@MattPie and @Thorny beat me to it.  NHL .500 is an utterly meaningless stat (and I'd also note that the Sabres left the rink with a loss 2 more times than they left with a win, so I'd say NHL .500 is fundamentally inaccurate).  DeLuca .500 is a very good shorthand stat, while points percentage is the most precise and accurate, although less useful IMHO because no one other than @Taro T is going to whip out the calculator and calculate points percentage while looking at the standings.

Jeez.  Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

And Crosby is the farthest thing in the world from being a "punk" IMHO.

@nfreeman, after 10 games do you have 12 points, if yes, you're on a playoff pace.  If, no, get cracking.  Same logic, after 20 games, do you have 24 points?

And you can break the season down into 5 or 10 game segments to see how you're doing.  In the last 5 games, do you have 6 points or more? Yep.  You're currently playing on a playoff pace.  If you only got 5 points, you need 7 in the next 5 games.  Easy, peazy.  😉

And, if you look at the NHL's website, that mysterious column to the right of total points actually tells you the point percentage.  So, you can actually tell how the team you're interested is doing without worrying about whether they've played the same # of games as their division & conference rivals and without even needing to be able to add.  (Which is necessary to determine the DeLuca one. 😉 )

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The legendary DeLuca insisted losses are losses, even if you earn a point, even as ties used to be a thing in the NHL.

Well "old school" would mean recognizing that NHL games used to end in ties and weren't considered losses. He's actually quite NEW school.

That’s why I still treat OT/SO losses as ties. 

5 hours ago, Hawerchuk said:

22 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Machismo Waggle

not adverse to seeing Sid slammed into the boards.  Not sure who is capable.

Meet Larry “The Rock” Zeidel. Most VIOLENT Player in Hockey History

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.