GDT: Sabres @ Penguins, Nov. 16, 2021, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

PromoTheRobot

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Actually, he showed signs of the sophomore slump in year 2 (pretty sure @Thorny will disagree).  And disagree about the continual regression.  Since the coaching change, the trajectory has been upwards though there have been fits & starts to it.  Still believe being away from Jokiharju helps and Pysyk is his best fit as a partner since at least very early on.  Get him a true top 4 that he gels with & watch him take off.  Maybe it's Samuelsson, maybe Power, but that guy is out there and once he gains the MOJO back, they'll be able to pair him with whomever.

Still expect him to come around & make the 3 year deal look like a poor decision.

I’m sorry.  That is what I meant. Start of his 2nd season.  Here is the maddening thing…everyone here would agree that a solid defensive defense partner is the way to go, but 3 HC’s and 2 GM’s later, they don’t seem to get it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m sorry.  That is what I meant. Start of his 2nd season.  Here is the maddening thing…everyone here would agree that a solid defensive defense partner is the way to go, but 3 HC’s and 2 GM’s later, they don’t seem to get it. 

Pysyk doesn't fit the bill for you?

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

We'll see when Jokiharju comes back whether Granato gets it or not.  But at least for now, Dahlin is playing w/ 1 of the 2 kind of defensive D-men on the roster.  (Hagg is an actual defensive D-man, but at this stage of his career, Pysyk pretty much is too.)

It's not like there are many options at present.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

He had some rough moments. That's why people are mad. Analytics dude without common sense. Go figure.

It's not very sophisticated, but I think people are still looking for Dahlin As Advertised. Once we all get past that as highly unlikely, the player will probably benefit from much lower expectations.

It also usually takes a trade to reset those expectations.  I’d hate for them to give up on him but I just don’t see it happening with this kid.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure the bout w/ cancer is what derailed his HCing train.   When others here were calling on him to stay on as HC for this year during last season, wasn't particularly on board mainly because w/ his pedigree & contacts he should've been a HC much sooner & the fact he hadn't aced THAT job interview anywhere in the NHL ever was off putting.  But the cancer explains a lot and it's looking more & more that we lucked into a good one.

And the same goes for Tokarski.  (Lucking in to one that appears to be a Tim Thomas late bloomer that is.)  IF Tokarski really is the next Tim Thomas (and it's too early to say he is, but not to hope it isn't just smoke & mirrors) this team should be in the 80's and actually COULD challenge for a playoff spot.  Really wish the other goalie were more durable than a 40 yo is expected to be.

We lucked out with cancer, lol. 

Toker proved a point that simply disgusted me this summer. Those people saying "oh, goalies just turn up unexpectedly," made me want to kick the cat (or just look at him slightly angrily) But they were right 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

It also usually takes a trade to reset those expectations.  I’d hate for them to give up on him but I just don’t see it happening with this kid.  

Fanbase seemed to come around on Sam..

Whether or not some fans can "reset" their expectations on Dahlin may come down to what is asked and expected of him. In the hypothetical situation where Power comes in and is a true stud 1, I think people will easier be satisfied with a really good pair 2 guy from Dahlin, combined with PP wizardry 

If the #1 role goes unfulfilled, of course there will be some finger pointing 

Edited by Thorny

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Fanbase seemed to come around on Sam..

Whether or not some fans can "reset" their expectations on Dahlin may come down to what is asked and expected of him. In the hypothetical situation where Power comes in and is a true stud 1, I think people will easier be satisfied with a really good pair 2 guy from Dahlin, combined with PP wizardry 

If the #1 role goes unfulfilled, of course there will be some finger pointing 

PP wizardry?   I’m being tough on him, but Dahlin on the PP is, skate to his own blueline and pass the puck backwards to someone else, and positioned in the middle of the ice at the offensive zone blueline making hockey 101 passes back and forth to teammate in left dot or right dot.  Where is the WOW factor in that?

As for Dahlin, he's what 21?? He was coached by Housley who let him do anything he wanted, Cruelger who tried to choke/stifle every bit of creativity out of the kid and now Granato who is trying to make him an all around Dman. He appears to be more physical this year and doesn't get pushed around like previously. I think he's on the right path and he's still in baby stage for a Dman. Also comparing him to some other young guys, let's not forget who he's playing with in comparison to who they're playing with. Also who would you say is mentoring the kid, McAvoy had Chara and a set system to fit into, Makar had one of the leagues best forward groups to play with and Heiskanen has a vet group he's playing with. 

As for Granato, who in the world would have predicted 7-6-2 with Mitts, Jokiharju basically missing the entire year so far, Anderson hurt and Olofsson missing a chunk of games and no-one so far filling the Eichel-Reinhart trade package just yet. One of the things that I think he does is improve areas of weakness such as all the goals scored from the point in the Washington game. Since then they appear to be blocking a lot more shots than I can remember them doing in a long time. He can't cure all their ills at once but he and his staff seem to be picking on them one at a time.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, jsb said:

As for Dahlin, he's what 21?? He was coached by Housley who let him do anything he wanted, Cruelger who tried to choke/stifle every bit of creativity out of the kid and now Granato who is trying to make him an all around Dman. He appears to be more physical this year and doesn't get pushed around like previously. I think he's on the right path and he's still in baby stage for a Dman. Also comparing him to some other young guys, let's not forget who he's playing with in comparison to who they're playing with. Also who would you say is mentoring the kid, McAvoy had Chara and a set system to fit into, Makar had one of the leagues best forward groups to play with and Heiskanen has a vet group he's playing with. 

As for Granato, who in the world would have predicted 7-6-2 with Mitts, Jokiharju basically missing the entire year so far, Anderson hurt and Olofsson missing a chunk of games and no-one so far filling the Eichel-Reinhart trade package just yet. One of the things that I think he does is improve areas of weakness such as all the goals scored from the point in the Washington game. Since then they appear to be blocking a lot more shots than I can remember them doing in a long time. He can't cure all their ills at once but he and his staff seem to be picking on them one at a time.

I worry less about November Dahlin than I do about March Dahlin. Who he is then, will be interesting. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.