GDT: Sabres @ Penguins, Nov. 16, 2021, 7pm, MSG, ESPN+, WGR

PromoTheRobot

The Buffalo Sabres are back in action tonight against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Faceoff from PPG Paints Arena is set for 7 p.m. on MSG and WGR 550 with pregame coverage on MSG kicking things off at 6:30. 

Here's what you need to know. 

We have some injury updates from head coach Don Granato. From Sabres.com's Practice Report by Jourdon LaBarber:

Buffalo Sabres forward Casey Mittelstadt is progressing in his rehab from an upper-body injury and could be the closest of the team's injured players to a return, coach Don Granato said Monday. 

"He's still progressing, which is good news," Granato said. "That might mean it's less than a couple of weeks or around there if he continues to progress. But with the type of injury he has, we still need to see that progression. That's a very optimistic timeline."

From the Game Notes, courtesy of Sabres PR:

This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Penguins this season.

Last meeting: Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo 1-0 in Pittsburgh on May 8, 2021. 

Next meeting: Friday, December 17, 2021 in Pittsburgh.

The Sabres are 2-8-0 in their last 10 games against the Penguins; 3-6-1 on the road. 

This is the 203rd game all-time betweenBuffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo has a 70-89-43 series record.

The Sabres are 27-54-21 on the road against the Penguins all-time.

Through 14 games, 19 different players have recorded points for the Sabres and 15 different players have scored at least one goal.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wait, what?  No Zemgus?

He's day to day. 

I believe he's back with the team on Thursday though - he's being presented with a golden stick at centre ice to honor his retirement

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You think Cozens just watches Quinn and JJ play and dreams of the days where they will be his linemates? 

How about r2? He hates playing with Hayden. I've watched him several times demonstrate very bad body language after Hayden failed to make a basic play. I really wish they would get R2 and Bjork a decent line mate 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Is that using the DeLuca Method of counting OL as losses ?   Even with the one point? 

Going back to the days when we had ties, I never heard of this DeLuca stuff?  

Yep, he is of the old school, if you didn't win you lost. The metric usually aligns with the points to get into the playoffs, so it's not terrible, although I prefer points percentage as a better. 0.580 and you're a good chance to get into the playoffs with 95 points. You could be DeLuca.500 at 41-37-4 and easily miss with 86 points. Or be DeLuca.500 at 41-15-26 and be near the top of the league with 108 points.

Edited by MattPie

5 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Yep, he is of the old school, if you didn't win you lost. The metric usually aligns with the points to get into the playoffs, so it's not terrible, although I prefer points percentage as a better. 0.580 and you're a good chance to get into the playoffs with 95 points. You could be DeLuca.500 at 41-37-4 and easily miss with 86 points. Or be DeLuca.500 at 41-15-26 and be near the top of the league with 108 points.

Man, the NHL is so frustratingly dumb.  

• Like (+1) 2

Really it doesn't matter what metric people use - both can tell you roughly the same thing as long as they are being applied (and understood) properly. 

My contention was never with using points percentage as the defining metric (indeed, it's what the NHL uses). It was always a distinction for me of connotation: In the past, "Five Hundred" was used with the known implication being that of an "average" team. But, because when you get a "loser" point, you are actually "dropping ground" relatively (the other team gets 2 points), the accumulation of that single point isn't "treading water", it's *literally* losing ground relative to the league as a whole, in the macro. 

If you gain 82 points in 82 games, you are near the bottom of the league. 

So you can call a .500 points percentage team "five hundred", it just doesn't mean anything. Other than that you are a pretty poor team, I guess 

- - - 

For me the purpose of "deluca .500" was always that it was a quick way of designating yourself an "average team or better" in much the same way the OLD "five hundred" used to be. 

You can hang your hat on being "deluca .500" I think. You are winning as many as you lose. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.