GDT:First Road Trip! Buffalo at New Jersey, October 23, 2022 7pm MSG, WGR 550

Brawndo

As I told one of my work buddies; this is what happens when a team with high end effort and energy with little finishing ability plays while tired. We couldn't break NJ since our players were gassed the entire 2nd and 3rd for the most part. Thanks to Toker though we still got a point and that's a plus.

Our next back to back is Nov 12th and 13th versus Edmonton and Toronto respectively.

I'd suggest using all 3 extra roster slots to get 2 fresher forwards and 1 fresh dman in for the 2nd game.

Still proud of the team though, they never quit but you could just tell they had nothing left to give.

• Like (+1) 8

Dahlin tried to do too much…Had many chances to shoot in regulation…  Loses the window… Had one good shot in OT…Then turns around and is out of position on the Devils score… instead of charging the shooter… Not off to a good start this year… Less minutes might get his attention… 

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As I told one of my work buddies; this is what happens when a team with high end effort and energy with little finishing ability plays while tired. We couldn't break NJ since our players were gassed the entire 2nd and 3rd for the most part. Thanks to Toker though we still got a point and that's a plus.

Our next back to back is Nov 12th and 13th versus Edmonton and Toronto respectively.

I'd suggest using all 3 extra roster slots to get 2 fresher forwards and 1 fresh dman in for the 2nd game.

Still proud of the team though, they never quit but you could just tell they had nothing left to give.

Agree. Totally 

8 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

We are back to scoring 1 goal a game. You are not going to win like that. 

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They looked bad tonight.... Let's see if it's a pattern or just a clunker

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Dahlin tried to do too much…Had many chances to shoot in regulation…  Loses the window… Had one good shot in OT…Then turns around and is out of position on the Devils score… instead of charging the shooter… Not off to a good start this year… Less minutes might get his attention… 

That’s not Granato’s style. 

9 minutes ago, Believer said:

I don't think Dahlin had a good game but he was the only player in position on that Devils goal. 

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d would gave like to have seen the extras as well.

Pretty even game between pretty even teams, neither of which is very good. 

We struggled in the OT though. This is where we will miss the big name stars like Eichel. 3 on 3 we don't have the skill for that. 

Some good goaltending though. 

Granato may have to reconsider his practice hard philosophy if these guys tire out so easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

NJ was better and deserved the W.  That rookie C Mercer is really fast.  The Sabres needed more offense from Skinner, TT and VO.  Tower was really good though.  

I think if all NHL teams had the chance to play a goalie in his first NHL game they would pick the Sabres to do it against. 

Don't recall who's shot in the 1st Daws got a piece of then it hit the crossbar then his back then harmlessly out of the crease, but have that bounce off Daws back & into the net & the Sabres win.

Overall, thought Bryson played well, but 2 bad bounces/ breaks for him were instrumental in the loss.  The Sabres killed the 2nd PK of the 2nd off, but found themselves on their heals a bit & really seemed to start to wear out then simply have nothing left in the tank in the 3rd.  On the PP goal, Bryson had good position for a play originating from in front of the net, but when the shot went wide (likely intentionally) there wasn't much (or really anything) he could do.

Tokarski continues his Tim Thomas imitation.  Hopefully he can keep that up as even Granato admits that with the team trusting the goalies that they can play a more wide open game & they'd have to adjust their play if they didn't.  Interestingly, Granato also said that if one of the 2 goalies gets hot, he'll ride that guy but right now they're playing pretty evenly.  Also, interestingly, Tokarski was in net both games that the Sabres pretty much couldn't buy a goal.  Hoping for his sake that trend doesn't continue.

Cozens continued his strong play.  They'll need that to continue to have a chance against TB and to surprise a few people on the 4 game road trip.  SJ is on fire, but the Sabres ALWAYS are their kryptonite and IMHO the other 3 are all winnable.

Last night, Miller had the game his critics have been claiming he had the 1st few games.  His blocked shot that led to Tokarski doing his Hasek imitation needs to not happen.  He'll need to be better than that tomorrow.

They definitely ran out of gas yesterday, but didn't collapse into a shell.  The Krueger led squad would've had long stretches where they'd be unable to get the puck out of their zone under such circumstances, but this team didn't get the myriad of 1+ minute stays in their own zone.  So, there is that.

Hadn't noticed before just how chippy Joisey is on the opposing team's goalie.  Lost track of how many times Tokarski got whacked by a Devil right after making a save.  Hischier alone must've done it at least 4 times.

They'd better get a good night's sleep tonight.  Tired legs would let tomorrow's game get out of hand.

96-1-1 would still be respectable.  😉

PS - how long before Ruotsalainen gets Asplund's role on the PK.  There's a reason the 2nd unit is scoring & the 1st isn't.  Girgensons can actually screen. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.