Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering Adams is apparently OK with being in the Wright place (Though IMHO it's the wrong place), definitely don't see him caving soon.  As the following year, there's another Wright level prospect, he MIGHT be willing to extend this whole fiasco out 24 months.  It gets Mittelstadt to the start of his prime & Dahlin a year or so away as well.  Only a year away from either Portillo or Levi or maybe both to get a shot as well.  Considering any additional US fans hemorrhaged away will likely be replaced by returning Canadian fans THIS IS the attendance bottom, Adams doesn't really have anything to lose.  WE all lose our minds, but that seems par for the course.And no, not the way yours truly would handle it, but Adams has his own plans & seems willing to see them play out.

I've been thinking the bolded is a significant factor.  It sure looks like KA has decided to tank this season (which I agree is a terrible decision), so in the abstract there is no urgency to make an Eichel deal and get any more good players in the door right now.  KA is probably thinking that there is no downside to waiting, say, half the season, letting Eichel stew and seeing if he caves on getting fusion surgery.

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

^

I do think that’s what’s going on.

Hence, Brisson on podcasts and such, leaking “developments” to Dreger, et al.

Exactly. 

It's in no one's interests to come out and say it, because the Sabres don't want to make Jack feel cornered, and Brisson knows that the Sabres are in the driver's seat, but I think both sides understand very well that (i) the Sabres want Jack to have fusion surgery and (ii) the Sabres are well within their rights to let Jack sit until he has fusion surgery. 

So KA maintains a friendly and positive, yet firm, demeanor, and Brisson subtly tries to get KA to reduce his price and the potential bidders to increase theirs.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Too wide a range in the bold — does that mean a Vegas 1st and Elvenes, or an LA 1st and Kaliyev?

But to try and answer the spirit of your question, I would take the best offer available to me right now, load it up with as many conditionals as possible, wish Jack the best of luck with his surgery and his career, and get on with the business of rebuilding the Buffalo Sabres.

People are far too invested in sunk costs here. I thinking they are putting far too much import on the size of the return and not enough on healing — both Eichel's healing and the healing of the Buffalo Sabres.

I think this is the only rational approach right now.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Could a solution be Buffalo sending a conditional pick the other way?

For example:

• Jack Eichel and a Buffalo conditional 1st in ‘23 for Krebs and Elvenes.
  • If Eichel plays x games this year, Sabres get their 1st back.
  • If Eichel plays y games next year, Sabres get a Vegas 1st
  • If Eichel scores z points over the next 2 years, or Vegas wins a cup, Sabres get another Vegas 1st

or something else along those lines that gives Sabres fair value if Eichel is healthy and protects the Knights if he is not.

Nope, I'm not risking my '23 1st. Because knowing our luck he'll take 2 years to repair himself, and they'll win the lottery with our pick and get Berard. I'd offer Florida's 1st but never any of our 1sts.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Too wide a range in the bold — does that mean a Vegas 1st and Elvenes, or an LA 1st and Kaliyev?

But to try and answer the spirit of your question, I would take the best offer available to me right now, load it up with as many conditionals as possible, wish Jack the best of luck with his surgery and his career, and get on with the business of rebuilding the Buffalo Sabres.

People are far too invested in sunk costs here. I thinking they are putting far too much import on the size of the return and not enough on healing — both Eichel's healing and the healing of the Buffalo Sabres.

I submit that KA and Co. got on with the business of rebuilding the Buffalo Sabres the moment they sent Krueger packing, unloaded the deadweight that failed at the task of winning, and committed to the current youth movement.

I just don’t agree with some that see the Eichel situation as some sort of albatross preventing the team from moving forward. He will be gone when the time is right. It’s a shame he’s injured because he’d have been gone already along with some other previous core players that failed at turning the franchise around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Nope, I'm not risking my '23 1st. Because knowing our luck he'll take 2 years to repair himself, and they'll win the lottery with our pick and get Berard. I'd offer Florida's 1st but never any of our 1sts.

Yeah, it was more about the concept than the specifics.

We both know that whatever the deal ends up being you’re going to hate it and you wouldn’t have done it.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, it was more about the concept than the specifics.

We both know that whatever the deal ends up being you’re going to hate it and you wouldn’t have done it.

I wouldn't hate any possible deal. But yours is giving us far too much risk due to our current situation.

Plus I really don't want him traded in the Conference, especially any divisional team or NYR 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I've been thinking the bolded is a significant factor.  It sure looks like KA has decided to tank this season (which I agree is a terrible decision), so in the abstract there is no urgency to make an Eichel deal and get any more good players in the door right now.  KA is probably thinking that there is no downside to waiting, say, half the season, letting Eichel stew and seeing if he caves on getting fusion surgery.

Our goalie situation is evidence this year doesn’t matter. 

last year he told Terry that Taylor Hall put us in CIP contention. That undermines my statement entirely. Don’t mind me. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good call.

The two things that make me wonder otherwise though is the absolute lack of any moves by the Ducks this year, along with $14 million in cap space.

They're cheap, yes, but they also seem to be deliberately keeping their powder dry.

It's also why I keep watching the Rangers (who are anything but cheap) with their nearly $8 million in space.

Right now, 9 teams are sitting with at least $7 million in space, which puts them in a position to accommodate Jack without too much shuffling.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Zibanejad needs a new contract, can't imagine they can take on that new deal and Eichel. One or the other.

11 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You say you want a revolution, well, you know, we all want to change the world.

All Right!

All Wright. 

or, Fight For The Wright.

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He is Jack in the public world.  This putting on airs and calling him John is just dumb at this point.

Meh. 

I will stick with John. It’s an inside SS thing and I endorse it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Meh. 

I will stick with John. It’s an inside SS thing and I endorse it. 

That's fine, but the justification you used last time was out and out BS.     "Maybe he is Jack to you, if you personally know him"  WEAK SAUCE 😛

7 hours ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Regardless of which direction he goes surgery wise, there is a high likelihood of re-injury due to his profession. 

With fusion we know what that looks like:  damage to adjacent discs on a par with the original injury.  I think the hesitation on the part of (I assume) the insurance company is, what does re-injury look like with the ADR?  I think the fear is actual paralysis, and if they okayed the the surgery they (the insurance company?  the Sabres?) might be liable for more than just Jack's salary (not knowing how the policy is written).

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think it's time for @Hoss to lock this beaut.  in places it's just as terrible as the 5 million page original thread.

You can lock this thread.  But it will be replaced by another, and another after that, and so on.  There's market for talking about the Eichel situation, the people won't be denied!

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I submit that KA and Co. got on with the business of rebuilding the Buffalo Sabres the moment they sent Krueger packing, unloaded the deadweight that failed at the task of winning, and committed to the current youth movement.

I just don’t agree with some that see the Eichel situation as some sort of albatross preventing the team from moving forward. He will be gone when the time is right. It’s a shame he’s injured because he’d have been gone already along with some other previous core players that failed at turning the franchise around. 

Preczactly.

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Situation was different where Jack and the Sabres were on good terms and He was still a major apart of the Sabres Future moving forward,  would the Sabres Stance on Jack having the ADR be different?

Interesting question and I’d say no, it wouldn’t have any bearing at all because I believe a finding by the medical staff does not depend on whether or not a player is in the good graces of the organization. Their adherence to medical best practices is adherence to medical best practices, period. And from what I’ve been able to gather in my cursory research into the issue over the last several months is that the majority of the medical community seems to agree. I’m not swayed at all by these reports that there are teams whose medical staffs are so willing to let him undergo the ADR procedure. I’ll believe that when they actually go on the record with that opinion. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Situation was different where Jack and the Sabres were on good terms and He was still a major apart of the Sabres Future moving forward,  would the Sabres Stance on Jack having the ADR be different?

I don't think so.  I think what's driving their position is (in order of precedence) the insurance underwriters, the lawyers, and the doctors.

• Like (+1) 1

Columbus just makes sense to me.

- They have an existing "youngish" core that Eichel fits in with (Laine, Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, Werenski, Merzelkins)

- They are in a transition phase it seems.  They're not exactly rebuilding, but it does not seem they have high expectations for this season.

- They have the cap space and their cap situation looks fine going forward.

- They have a fairly high-priced veteran player in Domi who they don't seem to have much use for and who only has one year left until UFA; he would fit perfectly as a  player returned to help the Sabres meet the cap floor.  No Blue Jacket players have trade protection

- They have a solid pool of young players and prospects; they were 13th in Pronman's organizational rankings for players under 23 (Johnson, Marchenko, Sillinger, Cuelemans, Boqvist, Voronkov, Chinakhov, Foudy, Texier).  There are a few Russians in there and we are looking to move into that space.

- They have all their 1st and 2nd rd picks in the next 3 drafts plus Chicago's conditional first in 2022

- They have never had a 1st line centre like Jack Eichel

- Their GM is a guy who isn't known for being risk-averse

- Finally, and this might be a stretch, but their President seems like the sort of guy who has had a few steak dinners with high-end player agents like Pat Brisson.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Columbus just makes sense to me.

- They have an existing "youngish" core that Eichel fits in with (Laine, Bjorkstrand, Roslovic, Werenski, Merzelkins)

- They are in a transition phase it seems.  They're not exactly rebuilding, but it does not seem they have high expectations for this season.

- They have the cap space and their cap situation looks fine going forward.

- They have a fairly high-priced veteran player in Domi who they don't seem to have much use for and who only has one year left until UFA; he would fit perfectly as a  player returned to help the Sabres meet the cap floor.  No Blue Jacket players have trade protection

- They have a solid pool of young players and prospects; they were 13th in Pronman's organizational rankings for players under 23 (Johnson, Marchenko, Sillinger, Cuelemans, Boqvist, Voronkov, Chinakhov, Foudy, Texier).  There are a few Russians in there and we are looking to move into that space.

- They have all their 1st and 2nd rd picks in the next 3 drafts plus Chicago's conditional first in 2022

- They have never had a 1st line centre like Jack Eichel

- Their GM is a guy who isn't known for being risk-averse

- Finally, and this might be a stretch, but their President seems like the sort of guy who has had a few steak dinners with high-end player agents like Pat Brisson.  

Yes I agree with you that Columbus is a team that really wants Eichel and in my opinion really needs a player like Eichel to resign Laine and help him reach his potential.  That being said I really have had a hard time getting excited about their top prospects.  I am still hoping to get back a top line potential center prospect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.