Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

4 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

This one is morphing into the ROR trade all over if he goes to Vegas. They have been close to winning it all. Jack might get his Conn Smyth and Stanley Cup much like ROR did.

Which is why Vegas should give up Krebs in the deal.  If St. Louis hadn't made the trade for O'Reilly they would not have won the cup that year in my opinion.  So giving up the prospect is worth it if they want to win this year's cup.

• Like (+1) 4

Also from LeBrun's article:

- Eichel is "adamant" about getting ADR surgery, which provides "no guarantee he'll be fully fixed up."

- Teams have hung around the periphery of the trade talks in case the price drops to a point where they can sell their owners on the $50MM risk.

- He thinks Minnesota, Philly, the Rangers and the Kings are probably out, and Calgary and Anaheim are still interested, along with other teams who are quietly investigating.

FWIW, I continue to think that Anaheim, a historically limited-budget team, wants no part of a $50MM risk on Eichel.

I also continue to think that all of the above leaves us with just 2 possible outcomes:  either KA waits for Eichel to cave and have fusion surgery, or KA accepts a crappy offer.

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, I continue to think that Anaheim, a historically limited-budget team, wants no part of a $50MM risk on Eichel.

Good call.

The two things that make me wonder otherwise though is the absolute lack of any moves by the Ducks this year, along with $14 million in cap space.

They're cheap, yes, but they also seem to be deliberately keeping their powder dry.

It's also why I keep watching the Rangers (who are anything but cheap) with their nearly $8 million in space.

Right now, 9 teams are sitting with at least $7 million in space, which puts them in a position to accommodate Jack without too much shuffling.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Vogl's anti-Sabre bias is easily seen by the title's blurb. 

Nothing in the article points to the Sabres being forced to trade Eichel on the cheap like he seems to want to conclude.

While I agree with criticism of Vogl's tease, I do think there was an underlying tone to Lebrun's article (and to Brisson's interview): there is a deal to be made once the Sabres understand they aren't going to get what they want, or what their fans want for Jack.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

While I agree with criticism of Vogl's tease, I do think there was an underlying tone to Lebrun's article (and to Brisson's interview): there is a deal to be made once the Sabres understand they aren't going to get what they want, or what their fans want for Jack.

If they can agree that there's a market for Eichel after he gets his desired surgery (teams will trade for him after he gets it) then perhaps the Sabres could allow him to get that surgery and then use the Olympics (which Brisson says is still possible) as the show case for him.  I think that it will be hard for Eichel to make that timeline and maybe even harder to walk into high pressure hockey right off the bat without injury but you never know.  It might be the best option to consider at this point.

I hate all the speculation and assumptions that we need to make on this issue.

3 minutes ago, Digger said:

If they can agree that there's a market for Eichel after he gets his desired surgery (teams will trade for him after he gets it) then perhaps the Sabres could allow him to get that surgery and then use the Olympics (which Brisson says is still possible) as the show case for him.  I think that it will be hard for Eichel to make that timeline and maybe even harder to walk into high pressure hockey right off the bat without injury but you never know.  It might be the best option to consider at this point.

Just think, if the Sabres would have allowed ADR back in the spring, there's a decent chance teams are bidding right now on a healthy Eichel.

We heard repeatedly that wasn't an option. Apparently, for "more than a handful of teams" it is.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why do Eichel/Brisson get to determine what the Sabres need to “understand” about what kind of deal can be made? KA can just as easily turn that logic back on them. A lesser deal has been there since day one, even before Eichel hired Brisson in the first place.  

Sounds more like Jack has once again reached his max level of patience and, like before with Fish, is having his agent conduct a propaganda campaign thru the media. As evidenced by the bs piece by Vogl, again, just like in the summer with Fish.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent KA from continuing to be patient is that the Pegulas just don’t want to pay $10m for a player to sit out the year and would force him to make a lesser deal just to remove Jack from their books. But they would have paid him as an injured player needing to sit out the year anyway if bad blood didn’t exist, so it can’t be just about the money. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Digger said:

Sure, but who is liable if Jack is injured directly or indirectly from surgery. Everything seems to come back to the Sabres holding the bag.

Just think, if the Sabres would have allowed ADR back in the spring, there's a decent chance teams are bidding right now on a healthy Eichel.

We heard repeatedly that wasn't an option. Apparently, for "more than a handful of teams" it is.

Same could be said about the fusion if Jack would have done that in the spring as well. He’d be on track for a December return. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Sure, but who is liable if Jack is injured directly or indirectly from surgery. Everything seems to come back to the Sabres holding the bag.

Is Eichel's surgery not insurable just like any other surgery option?  I would think yes otherwise other NHL teams would not agree to it as an option either.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why do Eichel/Brisson get to determine what the Sabres need to “understand” about what kind of deal can be made?

Only the market determines what kind of deal can be made.

The Sabres determine whether or not to pull the trigger or wait — as they have been — hoping the market improves.

I think most of us agree the only way that happens is if Jack gets and recovers well from surgery.

Just now, dudacek said:

Only the market determines what kind of deal can be made.

The Sabres determine whether or not to pull the trigger or wait — as they have been — hoping the market improves.

I think most of us agree the only way that happens is if Jack gets and recovers well from surgery.

I agree entirely. But again, why do Eichel and Brisson get to determine the market? 

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good call.

The two things that make me wonder otherwise though is the absolute lack of any moves by the Ducks this year, along with $14 million in cap space.

They're cheap, yes, but they also seem to be deliberately keeping their powder dry.

It's also why I keep watching the Rangers (who are anything but cheap) with their nearly $8 million in space.

Right now, 9 teams are sitting with at least $7 million in space, which puts them in a position to accommodate Jack without too much shuffling.

https://www.capfriendly.com/

Well, unused cap space -- which the Ducks have historically maintained -- is a much different kettle of fish from $50MM in actual cash going out the door to a player who can't play because his newfangled surgery didn't work.  I'll be very surprised if it ends up being Anaheim.

I agree that the Rangers are a much more likely candidate.

37 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Option 3 is that Jack just doesn't play hockey anymore.

I think Eichel would cave and have fusion surgery before he chose this option.

14 minutes ago, Digger said:

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres aren't interested in taking the risk on the ADR.  That's the whole issue from their perspective.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Same could be said about the fusion if Jack would have done that in the spring as well. He’d be on track for a December return. 

It's not the same. Teams would be be bidding on a player ready to play, not a player in rehab.

But more to my point: it seems like the Sabres hard stance against ADR may not have been necessary.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

It's not the same. Teams would be be bidding on a player ready to play, not a player in rehab.

But more to my point: it seems like the Sabres hard stance against ADR may not have been necessary.

True, but what’s a couple more months in the grand scheme of things. Point is, it’s a helluva lot more complicated for the Sabres than simply saying, “Well, if they only would have allowed Eichel to have his ADR back in the spring like he wanted.” 

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree entirely. But again, why do Eichel and Brisson get to determine the market? 

I'm not sure why you are asking this question again. We both agree they don't.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres aren't interested in taking the risk on the ADR.  That's the whole issue from their perspective.

I understand that. I'm questioning that stance.

In hindsight, it seems they would have been a better position to improve the team had they taken that risk.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Would we? Wouldn't the narrative shift to "how do we know Jack's neck will last a season?"

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.