Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Apologies for the confusion, so I’ll try to explain. 

When Brisson says that Jack is a “depleted” asset and a lesser deal is all that’s feasible, imo that is trying to establish the market. At the very least, it’s market manipulation. 

It’s interesting that Eichel and Britton think so little of their product, too. Of course they don’t really and I assume both are anticipating a return to full health and superstardom.

Not saying you or anyone here is saying this, but KA is out of line for believing the same thing? I don’t buy that. 

Exactly. He's getting KA ready for the terrific "two bags of pucks" offer he's massaging. If Adams is offered less than one first round pick (no lottery protection) and one top-tier prospect, the answer in N-O!

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Exactly. He's getting KA ready for the terrific "two bags of pucks" offer he's massaging. If Adams is offered less than one first round pick (no lottery protection) and one top-tier prospect, the answer in N-O!

That sounds like a depleted asset already.  It’s a far cry from four 1st round equivalents.

He’s not wrong.

23 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I'd tell Brisson I disagree and he can go on as many radio shows and podcasts as he wants but it won't change that I want significant value for Eichel.  

For those who haven't listened to the interview "depleted asset" was one in a series of observations Brisson made in a very matter-of-fact fashion as he listed off why this is a very difficult situation. I've read the same issues cited here many times and I doubt many, really any, of you would disagree with what he said.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

That sounds like a depleted asset already.  It’s a far cry from four 1st round equivalents.

He’s not wrong.

He's not wrong, but Brisson is also trying to achieve the outcome his client wants (which is of course what he should do), i.e. a trade that allows Eichel to get the ADR -- and to avoid the outcome Jack doesn't want, which is that the Sabres make him sit until he caves and gets the fusion.

Just now, nfreeman said:

He's not wrong, but Brisson is also trying to achieve the outcome his client wants (which is of course what he should do), i.e. a trade that allows Eichel to get the ADR -- and to avoid the outcome Jack doesn't want, which is that the Sabres make him sit until he caves and gets the fusion.

If you were in Jack's position, would you get the fusion?

If you were in Jack's position and felt the way he does about ADR and fusion, would you get the fusion?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

If you were in Jack's position and felt the way he does about ADR and fusion, would you get the fusion?

Fair question.  If Jack asked for my life advice, I would have to know quite a bit more about fusion vs ADR than I know now.

If the results of that research were along the lines of what's been said here and there, including on this board, i.e. that ADR is less likely than fusion to allow him to play hockey over the long term but less likely than fusion to cause back pain and other physical impairments and require additional spinal surgery later in life, I would advise him not to get fusion, try to wait out the Sabres, collect his $10MM a year and dare the Sabres not to pay him. 

It would likely require him to sit out an entire season, or even longer, but I think eventually the Sabres would cave and trade him for a lesser package to a team that will allow him to get the ADR.

Having said that, I'll flip it around:  if you were in KA's position, and your choices were either to accept a conditional 1st and another Tage Thompson-level prospect, or to wait Jack out until he caves and gets fusion, what would you do?

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am in Jack's position,  save the professional athlete part of course. 

Regardless of which direction he goes surgery wise, there is a high likelihood of re-injury due to his profession. 

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Fair question.  If Jack asked for my life advice, I would have to know quite a bit more about fusion vs ADR than I know now.

If the results of that research were along the lines of what's been said here and there, including on this board, i.e. that ADR is less likely than fusion to allow him to play hockey over the long term but less likely than fusion to cause back pain and other physical impairments and require additional spinal surgery later in life, I would advise him not to get fusion, try to wait out the Sabres, collect his $10MM a year and dare the Sabres not to pay him. 

It would likely require him to sit out an entire season, or even longer, but I think eventually the Sabres would cave and trade him for a lesser package to a team that will allow him to get the ADR.

Having said that, I'll flip it around:  if you were in KA's position, and your choices were either to accept a conditional 1st and another Tage Thompson-level prospect, or to wait Jack out until he caves and gets fusion, what would you do?

I'd wait to be honest as the former would be a travesty and put the Sabres management in the crosshairs of every Sabres fan who even relaxed their aim. 

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd wait to be honest as the former would be a travesty and put the Sabres management in the crosshairs of every Sabres fan who even relaxed their aim. 

This management team is already in the crosshairs for their complete failure last season and the tank they are authoring for this season.  Getting an ROR level return is expected at this point.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

And being cheered for, apparently.

I don't think that is correct.  I think most here have come to expect failure from our management team.  Also most here understand that Jack is damaged goods plain and simple.  Regardless of which surgery he has, even if he comes back and is still an elite player, the risk of re-injury is significant.  There is also a high risk of getting a diminished player even if he returns.  All these facts reduce his trade value, especially if it comes with a $10 mill price tag for 5 more seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

And being cheered for, apparently.

That's the part I don't understand. Why do people seem almost giddy with the idea of the Sabres failing.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think that is correct.  I think most here have come to expect failure from our management team.  Also most here understand that Jack is damaged goods plain and simple.  Regardless of which surgery he has, even if he comes back and is still an elite player, the risk of re-injury is significant.  There is also a high risk of getting a diminished player even if he returns.  All these facts reduce his trade value, especially if it comes with a $10 mill price tag for 5 more seasons.

Certainly sounds like you want them to fail versus merely expecting them to fail. I know you have a problem with KA but if he succeeds we are all better off.

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

That's the part I don't understand. Why do people seem almost giddy with the idea of the Sabres failing.

Certainly sounds like you want them to fail versus merely expecting them to fail. I know you have a problem with KA but if he succeeds we are all better off.

I think you are reading something into my comments that isn't there.  I don't want KA to fail.  I hate seeing the team I love fail.  I just expect failure and he has delivered nothing but failure just like every other manager hired under the Pegula era.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think it's time for @Hoss to lock this beaut.  in places it's just as terrible as the 5 million page original thread.

Obviously, it seems that this has run it's course and we can easlily have the next mega thread when some other tweeter tweets out the next great update.

There’s no reason to prevent people on a message board from having conversation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Considering Adams is apparently OK with being in the Wright place (Though IMHO it's the wrong place), definitely don't see him caving soon.  As the following year, there's another Wright level prospect, he MIGHT be willing to extend this whole fiasco out 24 months.  It gets Mittelstadt to the start of his prime & Dahlin a year or so away as well.  Only a year away from either Portillo or Levi or maybe both to get a shot as well.  Considering any additional US fans hemorrhaged away will likely be replaced by returning Canadian fans THIS IS the attendance bottom, Adams doesn't really have anything to lose.  WE all lose our minds, but that seems par for the course.And no, not the way yours truly would handle it, but Adams has his own plans & seems willing to see them play out.

Edited by Taro T

20 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Who is cheering for that exactly?  There are differing points of view as to what is an acceptable trade offer and what the timing should be, but just how is HOPING for a trade that is similar to the ROR trade?

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I definitely get the sense people want KA and everyone associated with the Sabres to fail so they can validate their feelings about the team. Of course if things get bad enough the franchise's survival in Buffalo becomes a question.

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

👍

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think people are used to the Pegula Sabres as failures and don't expect anything else until they prove things are different.   

We all want the Pegulas to sell but who's going to ride in on their horse and buy this team, unless it's to move it? This team needs to start getting better now just so the NHL remains viable here.

55 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Too wide a range in the bold — does that mean a Vegas 1st and Elvenes, or an LA 1st and Kaliyev?

But to try and answer the spirit of your question, I would take the best offer available to me right now, load it up with as many conditionals as possible, wish Jack the best of luck with his surgery and his career, and get on with the business of rebuilding the Buffalo Sabres.

People are far too invested in sunk costs here. I thinking they are putting far too much import on the size of the return and not enough on healing — both Eichel's healing and the healing of the Buffalo Sabres.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

It’s not so much he wants them to fail as it is saying they already have and will continue to do so. Personally, I’m always a bit leery of fans so heavily invested in negative outcomes. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I definitely get the sense people want KA and everyone associated with the Sabres to fail so they can validate their feelings about the team. Of course if things get bad enough the franchise's survival in Buffalo becomes a question.

👍

We all want the Pegulas to sell but who's going to ride in on their horse and buy this team, unless it's to move it? This team needs to start getting better now just so the NHL remains viable here.

With no hard data to support the following, actually believe the NHL realize this team is fast approaching a cross roads & want to see it rejoin the NHL.  Have a suspicion regardless how this season plays out, 1 of the 2 lottery draws goes Buffalo's way.  (Yeah, yeah, the lottery has never been fixed.  But still, that's the expectation.)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Considering Adams is apparently OK with being in the Wright place (Though IMHO it's the wrong place), definitely don't see him caving soon.  As the following year, there's another Wright level prospect, he MIGHT be willing to extend this whole fiasco out 24 months.  It gets Mittelstadt to the start of his prime & Dahlin a year or so away as well.  Only a year away from either Portillo or Levi or maybe both to get a shot as well.  Considering any additional US fans hemorrhaged away will likely be replaced by returning Canadian fans THIS IS the attendance bottom, Adams doesn't really have anything to lose.  WE all lose our minds, but that seems par for the course.And no, not the way yours truly would handle it, but Adams has his own plans & seems willing to see them play out.

AlWright

AlWright

AlWright

13567a824c04cd29695236c6efcc321667-23-mc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.