Dreger: Eichel situation may be shifting, multiple teams involved

Hoss

23 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

...wash, rinse, repeat....

cats laundry GIF

Yep and I’m grateful for this reminder. When we persist in talking past one another, it’s time to move on to another subject. My apologies to the board for contributing to the beating of this rotted corpse of a horse.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yep and I’m grateful for this reminder. When we persist in talking past one another, it’s time to move on to another subject. My apologies to the board for contributing to the beating of this rotted corpse of a horse.

Oh no, I welcome the opportunity litter the thread with cat gifs  😉

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

And, again, you insist on implying that he provided a determination based upon what the team wanted  not based on his own assessment of the injury. Are you of the opinion that he didn’t consult the images and other records? That he didn’t consult with the doctors charged with treating him? He just made a medical determination based on what his employer needed to hear? 

Based on what I know of IME’s, I’d imagine he examined Eichel and reviewed all of his records, scans and, test results. No direct contact with his treating doctors.

As for the balance: I’ve explained my view of that. These things aren’t binary.

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I would hope the party paying him does not influence his determination.  And really, I would expect him to recommend against it for the same he recommended against it when the Sabres asked

1000s of doctors conduct IME’s for third parties (mostly insurance companies) every day. From what I can tell, Cappuccino is not treating Jack; he’s examining Jack on behalf of the Sabres.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

1000s of doctors conduct IME’s for third parties (mostly insurance companies) every day. From what I can tell, Cappuccino is not treating Jack; he’s examining Jack on behalf of the Sabres.

It seems that way.

And expect that after he agreed to review the medical data decided that ADR was not right in his opinion for Eichel for this injury.  Had his opinion been otherwise, the Sabres would never have had that opinion brought to light.  IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It seems that way.

And expect that after he agreed to review the medical data decided that ADR was not right in his opinion for Eichel for this injury.  Had his opinion been otherwise, the Sabres would never have had that opinion brought to light.  IMHO.

So are you saying Dr. C's opinion was given to bolster the Sabres wishes or is the Sabres position based on his opinions?

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So are you saying Dr. C's opinion was given to bolster the Sabres wishes or is the Sabres position based on his opinions?

Am simply saying if it didn't bolster their opinion they certainly wouldn't be bringing his opinion up.

But expect that his opinion at minimum is what kept the Sabres position what it currently is & may have been instrumental in arriving at the decision as well.  If one of the absolute premier surgeons in the field thought the ADR was the right way to go, the insurance issue would go away IMHO.  (Insurance companies do have their opinions swayed on occasion; would expect that'd be cause for just such an occasion.  But his opinion concurred with theirs, so ... here we are.)

56 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went ahead and peeked at the CBA. Not easy reading.

It appears to me that Cappuccino's opinion may have been that of a so-called third physician expert, not that of a team physician. In all events, it is clear that a team physician -- one of Freitas, Fineberg, or Jain (based on what's on the team's website) -- will make the final determination on a diagnosis and course of treatment.

"(e) Following the later of: (i) issuance of the Second Medical Opinion; or (ii) issuance of the recommendation on diagnosis or course of treatment by the Third Physician Expert, if any, the team physician shall determine the diagnosis and/or course of treatment (including the timing thereof) after consulting with the Second Medical Opinion Physician and the Third Physician Expert, if any, and giving due consideration to his/her/their recommendation(s)." 

It also seems to me that the time for a medical grievance to be filed by the NHLPA has long since passed.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I went ahead and peeked at the CBA. Not easy reading.

It appears to me that Cappuccino's opinion may have been that of a so-called third physician expert, not that of a team physician. In all events, it is clear that a team physician -- one of Freitas, Fineberg, or Jain (based on what's on the team's website) -- will make the final determination on a diagnosis and course of treatment.

"(e) Following the later of: (i) issuance of the Second Medical Opinion; or (ii) issuance of the recommendation on diagnosis or course of treatment by the Third Physician Expert, if any, the team physician shall determine the diagnosis and/or course of treatment (including the timing thereof) after consulting with the Second Medical Opinion Physician and the Third Physician Expert, if any, and giving due consideration to his/her/their recommendation(s)." 

It also seems to me that the time for a medical grievance to be filed by the NHLPA has long since passed.

Kind of makes you wonder if the continued neck issue is more of a “neck issue”. 

Concept of neck issue?

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.