Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

Some feedback out of development camp

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-2022-development-camp-standouts/

The star of the show was Devon Levi. The former seventh-round pick was acquired from the Florida Panthers at last season’s draft as part of the deal that sent away Sam Reinhart. He has put up some stellar numbers in college so far, and with the way he played at development camp, he should be in for another big year. From the moment the pucks touched the ice, he was locked in.

Can't wait to hear more

Other info in that article points to how our top D prospects look good. Power Samuelson and Johnson looked real good, but everyone else was a ho-hum

Pretty obvious why we picked up a bunch of D players in FA to play in Rochester if this report is true

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Every time you listen to Levi he's  so captivating and you just know this is the guy that will get you to the  Promise land .

Since it’s a team sport, no one player will get a team to “the promise land”  but Levi certainly could (keyword) be a factor if he continues to develop well.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 3

Genuine concern out there post-Eichel is whether the team possesses the type of elite talent necessary to ever be a cup winner.

If we do, it will be in the form of the concept of Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power and Devon Levi.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Genuine concern out there post-Eichel is whether the team possesses the type of elite talent necessary to ever be a cup winner.

If we do, it will be in the form of the concept of Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power and Devon Levi.

If Tage gets even better (40+goals) he enters close to that elite status  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Well when we get to that point a few somebodies will have risen to that status.... If we never get there then obviously nobody did

But I believe we have multiple candidate's that will rise to that occasion in due time... 

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Really, don't forget the ROR trade.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/devon-levi-very-impressed-with-sabres

This interview makes it pretty clear that this is one class kid who wants to be here.  He became friends with Owen Power at the Olympics.  He also is becoming fast friends with Portillo.  

The more I read about Levi and Portillo these seem like two terrific people regardless of hockey.  Whether both come here or just Levi, I think I'll remain a fan of both. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Has there been any indication to think that he will not be a Buffalo Sabre? This is my only fear concerning this team right now. What is the timeline if all goes well? Is he in Rochester next year and then hopefully in Buffalo for 2024?

He needs to wait 2 more years to jump ship.  So, he'll sign in the spring.

Expecting he gets a game or 2 (though if the Sabres are right on the cusp, they might ride Comrie) to burn that 1st year of the ELC.

Most likely he starts next year in Ra-cha-cha, but am really hoping he'll be up before that season ends.  Realistically, he'll be in Buffalo that following year unless injuries or other derail him.  Likely as the backup, but who knows, he's been making saves on NHLers in pickup hockey since he was a Midget.  He might be special.

22 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Has there been any indication to think that he will not be a Buffalo Sabre? This is my only fear concerning this team right now. What is the timeline if all goes well? Is he in Rochester next year and then hopefully in Buffalo for 2024?

Yeah exactly that... He will most likely start in Rochester in 2023, got to get the kid acclimated to the next phase.
Should actually see him at the end of next years College season...

Might even sniff a game or 3 in Buffalo depending on where were at in the standings, If by chance we can make the playoffs then he'll probably just see Rochester late next season.

Edited by ddaryl

23 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Since it’s a team sport, no one player will get a team to “the promise land”  but Levi certainly could (keyword) be a factor if he continues to develop well.

Remember Hasek? If there’s one position that can get you deep into the playoffs, it’s the goaltender. They can singlehandedly get you there. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Remember Hasek? If there’s one position that can get you deep into the playoffs, it’s the goaltender. They can singlehandedly get you there. 

Agree to disagree. Not about Hasek being awesome. About only needing ONE player on a TEAM to “get you to the playoffs”. Or to use your words “deep into the playoffs”. It’s ok, we just view it differently.

and since the thread is about Levi … He could be a contributing factor to having success in a season and in the playoffs. I certainly hope he continues to develop well in the coming years. But on a team sport… He won’t be THE sole reason why they do well in a season and/or playoffs. Just the way I see it. 

Edited by Zamboni

27 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Agree to disagree. Not about Hasek being awesome. About only needing ONE player on a TEAM to “get you to the playoffs”. Or to use your words “deep into the playoffs”. It’s ok, we just view it differently. 👍🏼

That said, Hasek level goaltending gets next year's team in the playoffs... Possibly deep.

Problem is, no single player has had Hasek level impact on one team since Hasek. 

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Agree to disagree. Not about Hasek being awesome. About only needing ONE player on a TEAM to “get you to the playoffs”. Or to use your words “deep into the playoffs”. It’s ok, we just view it differently.

and since the thread is about Levi … He could be a contributing factor to having success in a season and in the playoffs. I certainly hope he continues to develop well in the coming years. But on a team sport… He won’t be THE sole reason why they do well in a season and/or playoffs. Just the way I see it. 

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

That said, Hasek level goaltending gets next year's team in the playoffs... Possibly deep.

Problem is, no single player has had Hasek level impact on one team since Hasek. 

Carey. Price.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.