Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Levi won't be NHL ready next season.   

Ok, let's say they give him a chance to start the season in Buffalo.   If he's not the day 1 starter, he needs to be in Roch... he needs to playing and playing a lot to acclimate to the pro game.     If Portillo is in Roch, they'll have to split the net... surethat creates competition, however it's not good for either player to be sitting at this stage of their development.    Would rather one (or both) return to college.

One has to get signed. IMPO

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Ok, let's say they give him a chance to start the season in Buffalo.   If he's not the day 1 starter, he needs to be in Roch... he needs to playing and playing a lot to acclimate to the pro game.     If Portillo is in Roch, they'll have to split the net... surethat creates competition, however it's not good for either player to be sitting at this stage of their development.    Would rather one (or both) return to college.

As I mentioned upthread, this would be better for the Sabres, but each of the goalies is going to pursue his best interests.  It's quite possible that both Levi and Portillo will decide that turning pro ASAP is in his best interests.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

If either returns to college, he may as well be a backup in the NHL or AHL.  NCAA only allows teams to play 34 games per season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

He could be. Let's see how he does in the Olympics first... We'll know more after that.

You think the Olympics is the linchpin that determines him going pro and making the Sabres out of camp, and him turning pro and going to Rochester? I certainly don’t.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

You think the Olympics is the linchpin that determines him going pro and making the Sabres out of camp, and him turning pro and going to Rochester? I certainly don’t.

It won't secure his spot in the NHL.  That'll be highly influenced in how he plays in the NHL if he gets a shot there this spring.  But it could influence them to put him in Ra-cha-cha after signing rather than the NHL.

This kid's expectation is Levi performs well in this tournament.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I think Levi wants to turn pro and with Michigan under investigation Portillo might be best to sign too. UPL in Buffalo and Levi and Portillo in Rochester. A competition would be great.

Biron Noronen Miller The Sequel!!😀

That's an interesting comp. Who's who?

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It won't secure his spot in the NHL.  That'll be highly influenced in how he plays in the NHL if he gets a shot there this spring.  But it could influence them to put him in Ra-cha-cha after signing rather than the NHL.

This kid's expectation is Levi performs well in this tournament.

He just keeps outperforming expectations, I hope it continues. I think it will.

• Like (+1) 2

I love what Levi is accomplishing this season and hope he continues on a quick progression to the NHL Sabres.

I would be happy to see both Levi and Portillo signed at the end of their seasons.  But playing in the AHL is a natural progression for their development so it would seem reasonable to expect them to share the games in Rochester.  It should be a higher level of competition (closer to the NHL) for both of them.

As for playing for the Sabres, look at the last two seasons.  We have had so many injuries that we've had to go to our ECHL goalies.  It's likely that one or both will get some games unless we all of a sudden stop having injuries.  While they are developing we will see what UPL can do and we will need a veteran that can be a reliable option.

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I think if he is as dominant in the Olympics as he has been on every other level (Jr A, W20, NCAA), he'll get an honest look in camp. If he does well in camp, he's in. No guarantees, but that's his path.

36 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think if he is as dominant in the Olympics as he has been on every other level (Jr A, W20, NCAA), he'll get an honest look in camp. If he does well in camp, he's in. No guarantees, but that's his path.

And I think IF he does well in the Olympics … he’ll get a look at camp

and if he does poorly in the Olympics… he’ll get a look at camp.

we’ll see 

Edited by Zamboni

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Sabres are out shooting Vegas?

Funny observation on that from the ESPN annnouncers. With Skinner as the man in front on the PP Lehner's head was a foot above Skinner's so he could see everything. Our coaches have some odd PP ideas imo.

Anyway, back to Levi, he's the best of the 3 imo and although he should not be in the NHL next year the way this team goes with kids and goalies you never know. 

Another piece in the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3112825/2022/02/06/why-sizzling-northeastern-sophomore-devon-levi-is-no-long-shot-for-canadas-olympic-net-he-loves-the-challenge/

“I love his hockey sense,” Keefe said. “For a goaltender, I just feel like he’s always aware of what’s happening. He doesn’t need to cheat because he’s so powerful. But he’s never surprised. If you go dot-to-dot on him, he doesn’t need to cheat to get over there. He’s aware of what’s going on. Because of his explosiveness and his athleticism, he’s able to get there and close it quickly.”

Pre-WJC:

“Nobody thought he was going to be the No. 1,” Keefe said. “I think part of that, when he got asked, they told him, ‘You’re one of three or four goaltenders.’ I think right then and there, he was like, ‘Hmm, so you’re trying to tell me that I’m going to have to go earn this?’ He believes in himself. He loves the challenge.”

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/2/2022 at 1:48 AM, PerreaultForever said:

Funny observation on that from the ESPN annnouncers. With Skinner as the man in front on the PP Lehner's head was a foot above Skinner's so he could see everything. Our coaches have some odd PP ideas imo.

Anyway, back to Levi, he's the best of the 3 imo and although he should not be in the NHL next year the way this team goes with kids and goalies you never know. 

If you're honestly trying to screen a goalie to get a point shot in on the pp in 2022, your coach sucks

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If you're honestly trying to screen a goalie to get a point shot in on the pp in 2022, your coach sucks

Sure. Crazy idea. Nobody puts big guys in front to block the goalie's vision. Unheard of. 

Sticking Larry Robinson in front should have disqualified Scotty Bowman from the Hall of Fame. What a dumbass he was.  

37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sure. Crazy idea. Nobody puts big guys in front to block the goalie's vision. Unheard of. 

Sticking Larry Robinson in front should have disqualified Scotty Bowman from the Hall of Fame. What a dumbass he was.  

Oh you missed the point by about 98% 

If your pp is relying on screened point shots, you're running a very old and bad system. Sure, put someone big in front to make the goalie look around but that person is there to tip things and suck in a defender so someone can shoot from the wall or take the puck below the goal. The issue here is the pp point shot, sure they happen but it shouldn't be a primary strategy in 2022.

It is telling how old your reference is though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Regardless of where you are shooting from, the goalie being screened is going to increase the likelihood that the shot goes in.

The original post you replied to said nothing about point shots.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh you missed the point by about 98% 

If your pp is relying on screened point shots, you're running a very old and bad system. Sure, put someone big in front to make the goalie look around but that person is there to tip things and suck in a defender so someone can shoot from the wall or take the puck below the goal. The issue here is the pp point shot, sure they happen but it shouldn't be a primary strategy in 2022.

It is telling how old your reference is though. 

Well first, I wouldn't miss the point if you actually articulated it rather than just taking snipes. 

Second, who said anything about point shots????

Third, I could have said our PP was better when Kreuger stuck Risto in front, but the Scotty Bowman reference was just more fun to make. 

So to sum, if you're still missing he actual point, a good PP is about puck movement, speed, possession and unpredictability. Having a big body in front to tip shots, tie up the D and/or grab a rebound is ideal, especially when he can impede a goalie's vision. Skinner doesn't shy from getting in tight, but he is of limited effectiveness in that role, and as such our PP isn't all that powerful. But you knew that. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well first, I wouldn't miss the point if you actually articulated it rather than just taking snipes. 

Second, who said anything about point shots????

Third, I could have said our PP was better when Kreuger stuck Risto in front, but the Scotty Bowman reference was just more fun to make. 

So to sum, if you're still missing he actual point, a good PP is about puck movement, speed, possession and unpredictability. Having a big body in front to tip shots, tie up the D and/or grab a rebound is ideal, especially when he can impede a goalie's vision. Skinner doesn't shy from getting in tight, but he is of limited effectiveness in that role, and as such our PP isn't all that powerful. But you knew that. 

Reinhart was great in front, do we consider him a big body? 

Risto was garbage in front. 

Skinner in front is meh but it's because the pp just tosses crappy long range shots at the net with very little low to high puck movement and very little cross ice passing. 

The issue with the pp are more than a big body in front. 

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart was great in front, do we consider him a big body? 

Risto was garbage in front. 

Skinner in front is meh but it's because the pp just tosses crappy long range shots at the net with very little low to high puck movement and very little cross ice passing. 

The issue with the pp are more than a big body in front. 

Wrong

Wrong

Partly right

Correct

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.