Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So with Devon Levi riding the press box currently, what would he have to do to get the starting job?

I was kind of hoping the coach would give each netminder a chance to play a game in the early round to see who's playing well vs. not.  Kind of like what the US Women's team did in their first 3 games.  May not happen as the men's teams are more evenly matched vs. the women's having just 2 dominant teams.  Not sure otherwise how he'll get a look unless someone else falters.

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I was kind of hoping the coach would give each netminder a chance to play a game in the early round to see who's playing well vs. not.  Kind of like what the US Women's team did in their first 3 games.  May not happen as the men's teams are more evenly matched vs. the women's having just 2 dominant teams.  Not sure otherwise how he'll get a look unless someone else falters.

Was listening to Biron and Duffer talking about how they thought the us womens approach to goaltending was flawed and it should help the Canadians in the finals having had one goalie to rely on.  Not my opinion but it was interesting.   

50 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Was listening to Biron and Duffer talking about how they thought the us womens approach to goaltending was flawed and it should help the Canadians in the finals having had one goalie to rely on.  Not my opinion but it was interesting.   

Thanks...I missed that.  I know this is a Devon Levi thread, but whoever plays net for the US women's team is going to have to stand on her head for them to beat Team Canada.  They look really strong and they seem better at cashing in goals (vs. the US)

Back to Devon, I be disappointed if he doesn't get a chance to start...hoping that will change.

Devon Levi's turn. 

Devi Levi had a crap game his last game in the NCAA. My honest guess was his mind was elsewhere as he was literally about to go to the Olympics... the OLYMPICS! So what I want to do is take a look at his numbers and see what he looked like over his last stretch of games (not including the stinker at the end) compare it to the season and go from there. 

Levi has 3 stinker games out of 23 starts this season. He also has an additional 3 games where he is above the 0.9 threshold I decided on but they stand out as being lesser performances. So 26% of his games overall are not stellar and 13% were bad, while there is a 13 game (56% of the season) stretch where Levi is lights out. What is interesting is that 2 of the bad and 2 of the meh games all come in the first 8 games of the season and the other 4 games in that set are all shutouts. That's right, he either was kinda meh or he completely destroyed the opposition. 32, 25, 20, and 29 save shutouts versus 41, 36, 21, 31 bad to meh games (the bad are the two highest sh totals). The meh games make me wonder if that was the team just being bad and Levi not able to compensate as all of them except that 21shot game (he allowed 2 goals) his team really gave up chances. 

Okay so once you get passed the game on October 30th, Levi goes 13 games before having another meh game and then in the 15th game (last played before Olympics) he has a complete dumpster fire making 8svs on 12 shots. Again I still think this is Olympic related and he simply wasn't focused which is understandable. It is also the only game the entire season he gets pulled from. Let's focus on the good 13 game stretch in the middle to see what he does well. 

From Nov. 5th through Jan. 18th Levi played 13 games and has a whopping 0.973sv% in that span. That includes 5 shutouts and just before his last 2 meh games, he had 3 shutouts in a row. During that 13 game stretch the most goals he allowed was 2 and both of those games went to OT, so in a 13 game stretch Levi never gave up more than 1 goal in regulation. That's right, in a 13 game stretch the most goals he gave to a team in regulation play was 1. 

Levi plays on a team that honestly does not have a ton of firepower. They have 1 player with double digit goals and only 1 other player that is over a ppg pace. To give you some perspective, Michigan has 4 players over a ppg pace and 4 players in the double digits with goals and 1 more only 1 goal away from that. Basically what I am saying is that I think some of what Levi has done is impressive because his team is not an all star college team that he is a part of but really it is him willing them at times to victory.

In the 9 shutouts that Levi has, 4 of them were 1 or 2 goal games. In the 16 wins that Levi has, 8 are 1 goal wins and 7 are while his team scored 2 or fewer goals. Of the wins where they score more than 2 goals, 5 are shutouts and 3 are won by 3 goals. The entire point of all of this being that in 56% of his games, Levi put together a truly remarkable display of goaltending turning in 5 shutouts and a 0.973sv%. That span can be compared to Portillo's 9 game run and we can see what these guys can do at their best at the college level over what is basically a month of games. 

*note that I think I have 1 missing game from the dataset as Levi is listed as having played 24 games but I only have 23 games. I was too lazy to find the missing game. 

Note Levi has a .948sv% on the season

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Based on yesterday's loss against Team USA, maybe Julien should reconsider who starts in net next game:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/hockey/olympics-mens-hockey-canada-us-analysis-hall-1.6349561

Bring on Devon!!!  Give him a chance!!!

Canada lost despite outshooting the US 37-22 -- so Canada's goalie gave up 4 goals on 22 shots, resulting in a humiliating loss to those damn Yanks.

There's gotta be pressure in the GWN to make a change in net.

Here comes the Natural.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Canada lost despite outshooting the US 37-22 -- so Canada's goalie gave up 4 goals on 22 shots, resulting in a humiliating loss to those damn Yanks.

Here comes the Natural.

At least 2 of the US goals were horrible.  Neither the one where the goalie lost the puck battle behind the net & the 4th one that trickled between his arm and body should've happened.  Levi might have stopped the other 2 as well, but at least they were legit hockey play goals that actually are scored on a nightly basis against good goalies.

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here comes the Natural.

The article says 37 to 27... But the point is all the same.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:05 PM, Flashsabre said:

I have no worries about Levi’s size. He has dominated at the WJCs and College hockey. It won’t hinder him in the NHL and he isn’t even small.

We aren’t talking about Darren Pang in 1980s Goalie equipment here.

He’s statistically quite small relative to current day NHL starters 

The numbers are simply the numbers. It is very uncommon for a starter his size to be successful in the NHL, nowadays. All anyone needs to do is go to NHL.com and pull up the numbers of the starting netminders this season. 

We are counting on him to break the trend, like Saros. And he can. But he’s undoubtedly breaking a significant trend. 

This isn’t “small wingers find success all the time” size bias stuff, it’s a real thing that the vast majority of starting goalies are above 6’0. It’s not arbitrary, it’s statistically significant 

Edited by Thorny

Jeff Marek, who is very well connected to Hockey Canada, mentioned on His Show Today he thinks that Devon Levi was promised two games during the Olympics as an incentive for Him to go and Northeastern to be more agreeable to  Him going. That obviously changed once the Team arrived in Beijing 

Edited by Brawndo
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jeff Marek, who is very well connected to Hockey Canada, mentioned on His Show Today that Devon Levi was promised two games during the Olympics as an incentive for Him to go and Northeastern to be more agreeable to  Him going. That obviously changed once the Team arrived in Beijing 

I'd be on the first plane home. No reason to tolerate a gm who breaks promises 

• Like (+1) 1

Canada has gone to Tomkins in net again vs China.

I am biased but I would have gone with Levi and compare his work vs China compared to Tomkins vs China and go with the better game.

Levi is probably steaming but is keeping a lid on it. Show Julien later kid, while Tomkins and Pasquale compete for a Spengler Cup.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why not make a new topic? There is nothing in this old topic that is relevant to this. It would not be considered a duplicate topic beyond it happens to both share focus on the same player. It is so much better to announce this on its own. 

38 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why not make a new topic? There is nothing in this old topic that is relevant to this. It would not be considered a duplicate topic beyond it happens to both share focus on the same player. It is so much better to announce this on its own. 

... yes dad

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They are roommates for the Summer. Hughes mentioned they were shocked to get Him back and that Levi really is the team. 

The Sabres did not interview Hughes. 

These are the type of crazily obsessed tendencies I want in my goaltender. This is how greatness is reached.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

They are roommates for the Summer. Hughes mentioned they were shocked to get Him back and that Levi really is the team. 

The Sabres did not interview Hughes. 

Doubt they'd need to if Levi can just tell them about him; good for secretive interest.

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Doubt they'd need to if Levi can just tell them about him; good for secretive interest.

Jack Hughes’ college roommate is probably not going to say anything negative or give an unbiased opinion to the Buffalo Sabres.

If you are the Sabres, you need to form your opinions yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Plus they could have spoken to him while they were visiting Levi and already know the kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.