Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I have nothing against both I would like them to win a cup 

I hope neither wins a Cup. This was the team that drafted you, developed you, put letters on your jersey. People forget that not too long ago, most players in sports spent their careers with the team that drafted them. 

It sucks that they are unhappy, but that’s life and relationships. Things don’t always work out the way you hoped. Doesn’t mean you just give up. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So you think he received a better offer before today but didn't accept it?  Why would he have done so?  And what do you think someone offered that is better than what KA got?

Very possibly.

Because he views Levi in a far more favorable light than anybody else does, OR those other offers that included a comparable pick to Florida's next year came with a player that might actually be useful at some point in the next 2 seasons and that wasn't what he was looking for as a return on Reinhart.  (Either doesn't bode well for us; unless the crazy SOB is actually right, that is.)

See the previous comment after 'OR.' 😉

Edited by Taro T

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I read the first half of this thread.  Is there anything worth reading in the 2nd half?  Or did things stay totally off the rails?  Anyone get banned?  Lol

I didn’t read 75% of it. After I saw how Reinhart will forever live rent free in the heads of a handful of posters. I mean there’s truly valid opinion about the return or lack thereof. And then there is just illogical, IMO immature and shortsighted opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Here's where I am right now, after digesting this for a bit:

My problem isn't with the prospect.  It's pretty obvious that he's going to be a huge hit or a huge miss, and I like it.

My problem is only somewhat with the pick, because I don't like the lottery protection.  (The Sabres have been burned before, and waiting two years for a major part of the consideration is too long.)

My problem, really, is that it's a prospect and a pick.  A player and a pick?  I would have been fine.  A player and a prospect?  Also fine.  But this is just too little, even if Reinhart is just a rental for Florida.  

If this was the best he could do to date, Adams should have hung on.  This deal would have been available tomorrow or next month.  If Reinhart is telling the truth, Adams could have negotiated an extension with him; if Reinhart is not, Adams could have just accepted whatever an arbitrator set, or dealt with an offer sheet.

But he blinked--AGAIN.  He didn't learn his lesson from the Hall trade, I guess.

Honestly don't believe he wanted a player & a pick.  Believe he wanted a prospect & a pick and this was what he & his braintrust determined was the best of those offers.

Blatent speculation coming:  Really believe that for whatever reason he wasn't a fan of Eichel prior to his becoming the GM but knew the talent he was and thought that bringing in a couple of pieces would get them into the playoffs.  Doubt he thought Eichel's training injury was legit (or at least believed it didn't happen as he'd claimed).  When Eichel's inability to pot goals kept the team hovering near 0.500, Adams started to believe he was right about his original opinion of Eichel.  When things went all fugazi Adams decided he can't win with Jack and decided to push him & his best buddy out.

The flaw in that theory is Eichel is still a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Believe he wanted a prospect & a pick and this was what he & his braintrust determined was the best of those offers.

That's an even bigger problem, then.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not mad.  Simply numb.

Getting mad would feel better.

Let it out.  Try to breathe through your nose a bit.

43 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I hope neither wins a Cup. This was the team that drafted you, developed you, put letters on your jersey. People forget that not too long ago, most players in sports spent their careers with the team that drafted them. 

It sucks that they are unhappy, but that’s life and relationships. Things don’t always work out the way you hoped. Doesn’t mean you just give up. 

I really don't think that is true.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

If he was willing to sign a year ago but not this summer, he shouldn’t have claimed that he was willing to sign long-term without clarifying that very important distinction.  

True.

But there are darn few public figures these days that would actually clarify that distinction.  Can't/won't fault him for following the standard playbook.

And, expect that Adamsvis fudging the truth as well.  Expect that because he wants to be rid of Eichel & Reinhart that he also lowballed Reinhart & then the agent said if that's the best you've got, he's gone in '22.

So, they're both likely truthful, but neither is in the right.  

On 1/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, Thorny said:

Futhermore, we are viewing the offseason from this particular point in time without the benefit of seeing how things actually unfold. If the loss of Larsson is dearly felt, the GT costs us a playoff spot, and we lose Reinhart, too, (after Hall walks) because we declined to lock him up this offseason so we'd have room for Hall, is it still a good offseason?

I don' t think I'm making a very radical point to say that I merely think, after all these years, a-wait-and-see approach probably bodes best. 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Who's going to be our leading goal scorer? 

Skinner.  This past season Granato concentrated on developing the youth.  This season I think he will work on integrating the youth and the veterans.  I bet he plays on Cozens' wing and pots a few dozen for Cozens.

23 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Honestly, how many possible 20 goal scorers are on the roster? Skinner, Olaffson maybe Mitts?  Not sure what our lowest ever goal output total for a season is but I definitely bet the 2021-22 Sabres have a real real good chance of setting a new low. 

This is simply the roster as currently constructed (assuming no Eichel, return not included)

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Olofsson - Cozens - Bjork

Skinner - Eakin - Okposo

Ruotsalainen - Girgensons - Fogarty

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Hagg - Miller

Samuelsson - Bryson

Tokarski

Lekkas

As of now the kids certainly aren't, uh, "boxed in"

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is simply the roster as currently constructed (assuming no Eichel, return not included)

Skinner - Eakin - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Hagg - Miller

Samuelsson - Bryson

Tokarski

Lekkas

This is truly abysmal. There has to be a Quinn or a Peterka or somebody on their to have any sort of optimism at all. 

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner - Eakin - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Hagg - Miller

Samuelsson - Bryson

Tokarski

Lekkas

As of now the kids certainly aren't, uh, "boxed in"

Peterka - Pekar - Quinn

Poltapov - X - Rosen

Murray - X - Kisakov

Weissbach - X - Huglen

Power - Laaksonen

Johnson - X

Samuelsson - X

Levi/UPL/Portillo

- - - 

Is there a future playoff team from all of that, current roster make-up and pipeline?

Eichel return fetching a prospective 1C, among other significant assets, looks pretty darn important if you ask me. It also imo illustrates why it's easy to see why Adams has so far held firm on his 4 high level assets mark for Jack: we need them. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.