Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Peterka - Pekar - Quinn

Poltapov - X - Rosen

Murray - X - Kisakov

Weissbach - X - Huglen

Power - Laaksonen

Johnson - X

Samuelsson - X

Levi/UPL/Portillo

- - - 

Is there a future playoff team from all of that, current roster make-up and pipeline?

Eichel return fetching a prospective 1C, among other significant assets, looks pretty darn important if you ask me

Peterka, Quinn and Power are future Sabres.  Laaksonen and UPL have a chance.  Maybe the first three join Cozens and Dahlin to form a core.  Add in some established vets including a 1C and a good goalie.  Who knows.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

So you think this happened in a vacuum? That Adams did not bring this to the other hockey people in the organization to gather their thoughts? He just sat in a room and decided this on his own?

He’s the GM. It’s his ship. You can replace “Kevyn Adams” with “the front office” if you want but it’s lead by a guy with zero experience.

57 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’s the GM. It’s his ship. You can replace “Kevyn Adams” with “the front office” if you want but it’s lead by a guy with zero experience.

This doesn't appear to me to be lack of experience at all. This I think was by design. They decided this team needed to be rebuilt. Basically start over. Whether I like it or not. That meant going totally with young players. My hope was to just try and build around Jack, Risto and Sam. Obviously they decided that wasn't the way to go. This wasn't for lack of experience this was a calculated decision to go with young players collect draft choice and rebuild this team ground up.

• Like (+1) 1

Clearly those rumours about the Pegulas losing money and all were true as giving away Sam for basically nothing is clearly a salary dump. Even the Risto move was a salary dump but Philly just happened to make KA look good by giving a good return. It is lucky Philly gave that return or we may have got nothing for both players. Next we'll see Jack moved and again the return will be at best under-whelming. It would absolutely no sense to keep Jack now. Who knows maybe the team is for sale.  The Pegulas have deep pockets but obviously all their terrible moves with coaches and GMs has and is costing them a bundle and they are looking to cut cost. No different then when the team cut cost back when they let Briere and Drury go for nothing.  

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is truly abysmal. There has to be a Quinn or a Peterka or somebody on their to have any sort of optimism at all. 

Two more kids to get bounced around.   They need a few veterans and 2 real NHL goalies.   Without Jack we are back to ground zero at center.  I say no trade.  

Funny how some folks here were willing to trade Risto for a bag of pucks and valued Reinhart so high. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh if Sabres dont get huge return for Jack... gotta say they will be unwatchable 

i keep preaching that they are NOT getting a big return on Jack because every GM is going to talk about the neck injury.  You saw the bounty for Reinhart, a prospect and a pick.  

If they don’t get a good return then they don’t have to make a trade.  Let Jack play and lead his team. We don’t have enough at center to trade him anyway and we have no centers in the pipeline.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Radar said:

This doesn't appear to me to be lack of experience at all. This I think was by design. They decided this team needed to be rebuilt. Basically start over. Whether I like it or not. That meant going totally with young players. My hope was to just try and build around Jack, Risto and Sam. Obviously they decided that wasn't the way to go. This wasn't for lack of experience this was a calculated decision to go with young players collect draft choice and rebuild this team ground up.

I have been in Buffalo for the past week. Saw some of my Sabres connections over the weekend.  

Clearly, those three you listed above are tagged as “not part of the solution”.   Of the bunch, Sam Reinhart is considered a “good soldier”.  Botterill did not extend him which was a mistake.   After that,  more crazy coaching and GM/FO changes, and he wants out.  Don’t think for a minute that his highly respected father was not guiding him to keep his mouth shut, to play hard, and then go somewhere better.   Which is exactly what he did.  

This team will take another 3-4 years.  No fast rebuilds, ala Murray the Fool, this time around.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 7

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Skinner.  This past season Granato concentrated on developing the youth.  This season I think he will work on integrating the youth and the veterans.  I bet he plays on Cozens' wing and pots a few dozen for Cozens.

That could be possible maybe 25g -30g but this team is going to be bad 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I hope neither wins a Cup. This was the team that drafted you, developed you, put letters on your jersey. People forget that not too long ago, most players in sports spent their careers with the team that drafted them. 

It sucks that they are unhappy, but that’s life and relationships. Things don’t always work out the way you hoped. Doesn’t mean you just give up. 

The good old days of players staying with the teams that drafted them are not only over with but have been gone for a long time. Loyalty from players to teams and teams to players is mostly nonexistent. In the era of free agency and the cap player movement is an established part of the fabric of pro sports. 

As you wisely noted relationships don't always work. There isn't an organization in any pro sport (and increasingly in the college ranks) where relationships get frayed and the inevitable outcome is breaking up. More often than not the most important issue isn't whose fault it is for the erosion as it is how do you react to it. (Again, as you noted with your don't give up comment.) 

2 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Clearly those rumours about the Pegulas losing money and all were true as giving away Sam for basically nothing is clearly a salary dump. Even the Risto move was a salary dump but Philly just happened to make KA look good by giving a good return. It is lucky Philly gave that return or we may have got nothing for both players. Next we'll see Jack moved and again the return will be at best under-whelming. It would absolutely no sense to keep Jack now. Who knows maybe the team is for sale.  The Pegulas have deep pockets but obviously all their terrible moves with coaches and GMs has and is costing them a bundle and they are looking to cut cost. No different then when the team cut cost back when they let Briere and Drury go for nothing.  

They made so much money from the bills last year lol

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I have been in Buffalo for the past week. Saw some of my Sabres connections over the weekend.  

Clearly, those three you listed above are tagged as “not part of the solution”.   Of the bunch, Sam Reinhart is considered a “good soldier”.  Botterill did not extend him which was a mistake.   After that,  more crazy coaching and GM/FO changes, and he wants out.  Don’t think for a minute that his highly respected father was not guiding him to keep his mouth shut, to play hard, and then go somewhere better.   Which is exactly what he did.  

This team will take another 3-4 years.  No fast rebuilds, ala Murray the Fool, this time around.  

Excellent analysis and clearly stated. This is a fair appraisal of the situation. The only part of your post that I can quibble with is the timeline for the rebuild. Will it take 2-3 or 3-4 years? I'm not sure? As you smartly point out it is essential to not try to the force the rebuild and let it run its course. This is how Ottawa has done it. Now they are at a stage where it can be a competitive team for a long time. It's a tough process that requires vision and fortitude.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

This is simply the roster as currently constructed (assuming no Eichel, return not included)

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Olofsson - Cozens - Bjork

Skinner - Eakin - Okposo

Ruotsalainen - Girgensons - Fogarty

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Hagg - Miller

Samuelsson - Bryson

Tokarski

Lekkas

As of now the kids certainly aren't, uh, "boxed in"

team america vomit GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Excellent post.

One small issue ... as has been pointed out, not only JBOT ... Adams also did not give Sam a LTD last October.  Granted, by that time it may have been to late anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I might be the only one but I believe Florida will be bad they're trusting a rookie (Knight)  to lead them and that's just a bad idea .

If Barkov doesn't sign this summer that could also be a distraction then you have sam reinhart UFA .

Maybe this is what buffalo sees 

Donnie Edwards and Tommy Barrasso were Buffalo rookie goalies that did great.  

Recently, St Louis won a Cup with a rookie.  In the past, Montreal won a Cup with Ken Dryden, and he had rookie status the next season. 

Not saying it will happen here, but merely pointing out that It happens. I think Knight is ready to play a big load. 

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to be pricky, well, yes I am pricky about the thread title ...

How are the Sabres going to get into a time machine and go back to the 7th round of the 2020 draft and make a pick ?????

What in the ...........

Nevermind ... I'm an idiot and just figured out that the thread title is pointing out when our newest darling was drafted.

Carrion ...

8 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Excellent post.

One small issue ... as has been pointed out, not only JBOT ... Adams also did not give Sam a LTD last October.  Granted, by that time it may have been to late anyway.

True, although I think Sam was doing the “wait and see” with Adams.  He was not happy here. The constant churn was too much.  

His interviews show a guy that was not going say much and let it ride.  Often mistaken as not caring by some fans and media, but not by the coaches or the team.  People talk in this league, and people listen.   He played hard and honest, no matter the situation, and for that he is respected.  He had the right mentorship to handle the situation.  He knows he could run into Granato or Adams again down the road, it happens all the time   

I am sad to see him go, but it’s time to turn the page (queue up Bob Seger).  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.