Official Don Granato Named New Sabres Head Coach

Brawndo

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

So spit balling here, say it's a $6MM/yr offer, how many #1s come back? This sounds like something we should root for, as much as I'd here to see Sam go.

One.  The chart is in this article:  https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2020/9/9/21428305/2020-2021-nhl-offer-sheet-compensation-has-been-set

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Yes.  Compensation is in the form of draft picks based on the salary offered.

• For AAVs below $1.35654 million, there is no compensation
  • From that number to $2.055364, the price is one 3rd-round pick
  • From that number to $4.110732, it's one 2nd
  • From that number $6.166096 it's one 1st and one 3rd
  • From that number to $8.221463, it’s one 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • From that number to $10.276829, it is two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd
  • Over that number, it is four 1sts

Thank you. Not as much coming back as I recall in the past.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So spit balling here, say it's a $6MM/yr offer, how many #1s come back? This sounds like something we should root for, as much as I'd here to see Sam go.

a 1st and a 3rd. We'd be guaranteed to match. 

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Sabres decline is there compensation? Sam was 1st round pick. Don't we get a couple #1s back? I remember the Vanek offer sheet from EDM could have netted the Sabres 4 #1s. In hindsight that would have been the play. But Buffalo had just let Briere and Drury walk. Letting Vanek leave would have caused the fanbase to riot.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's based upon the amount of the offer.

Here is a link to the compensation ...

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/07/02/nhl-announces-2021-offer-sheet-compensation-tiers/

Just now, Doohickie said:

I believe the one hitch is that a team has to offer its own picks.  So if they traded their 1st away already, they can't even make an offer that involves a 1st, even if they have a 1st from another team.

I think this is correct.  It has alwasy been that way.  I remember when it was suggested that the Sabres offer sheet somebody (can't remember who) and someone pointed out that they could not because a compensation pick was not available.  I can't remembe if it was becasue the Sabres traded it away, or traded for it.

Anyway we slice this, I think Sam has more value on the trade market compared to getting compensation back. At $6M, it’s a 1st and a 3rd, which isn’t much and very well could both be at the very end of the rounds. For example, I would want a top prospect well into his development than a 1st and 3rd. Plus, Sam would easily be matched at that price and all problems solved. Even if they go higher, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd isn’t worth. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Anyway we slice this, I think Sam has more value on the trade market compared to getting compensation back. At $6M, it’s a 1st and a 3rd, which isn’t much and very well could both be at the very end of the rounds. For example, I would want a top prospect well into his development than a 1st and 3rd. Plus, Sam would easily be matched at that price and all problems solved. Even if they go higher, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd isn’t worth. 

Agree.  Reinhart was 2OA.  I think we know how he is as a player and  I suspect that he is the type of player to rack up many more consistent seasons as a top 6 forward.  

The Sabres drafting and development cannot be counted on to replace him easily.  We need a good player back and top prospect or pick.  

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Sabres decline is there compensation? Sam was 1st round pick. Don't we get a couple #1s back? I remember the Vanek offer sheet from EDM could have netted the Sabres 4 #1s. In hindsight that would have been the play. But Buffalo had just let Briere and Drury walk. Letting Vanek leave would have caused the fanbase to riot.

I’m glad you finished this the way you did.  I just can’t relive the shoulda, coulda, woulda, life. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well, it also depends on the term. If it was 6M x 7 years, it would be 2 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd. It’s the total salary/(years on contract or 5, whichever is lower). Which would make this 42M/5 years which is 8.4M, falling between the 2 1sts, 1 2nd, and a 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I have found a few older videos of him on YouTube.  It seems like he just was ready for the gig.

A bedraggled franchise, a physically battered coach who seemed destined to never get his shot, an organizational mantra of E to the 3 that OSP wished he had thought of, trading your franchise center AND his tandem bike partner...

IT COULD WORK!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

A bedraggled franchise, a physically battered coach who seemed destined to never get his shot, an organizational mantra of E to the 3 that OSP wished he had thought of, trading your franchise center AND his tandem bike partner...

IT COULD WORK!

Come on man, it’s a great script.

I can hear the keys clicking on your Smith Corona as we speak.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.