We should trade Risto and sign Dougie Hamilton

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His next deal is going to be somewhere between 8 to 10 Million AAV, Carolina(Their Owner) doesn’t want to pay that 

I would give him 8mil x 4-5 years.

I hear he is a quiet guy in the locker room and that's fine by me. 

37 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He turns 28 in a few days.  He is in his prime.

I'd give him 5 at 8.

Why can't we rebuild with players in their prime, while giving the kids here a chance to play?  Veterans are important, especially when you could get a good one in their prime.

He's past his prime

A 28 year old Owen Power😜. If you aren’t going 7 years you aren’t getting him.  He is going to have a lot of teams interested in overpaying him that are much more competitive.  He is not strong defensively. If he played here he would be exposed big time. If Eichel and Reinhart were here and Skinner and Okposo’s deals were off the books then he would be a guy to take a big run at but I don’t think it makes sense with the current state of the team.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

For first-line players, I tend to think of primes generally as:

• Forwards: 22-29
  • Defence: 24-31
  • Goalies: 25-33

But on an individual level no one fits nicely in a box.

My defensive range would be 26-31

• Like (+1) 1

The NHL cap is going to remain flat for at least two more years. Players like Hamilton will have limited options. If they want to go to a contender, they’ll take less money and term. If they are in it to cash out, Buffalo will be one of the few teams with the room and the means to do it.

Complicating things, the uproar over how Tampa and to a lesser extent, Toronto and Vegas manipulated the cap will mean that the league will look closely at any attempt to circumvent the cap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

He's past his prime

No, but...

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Here is the baseline for His Deal and Hamilton is three years younger. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30102717/source-alex-pietrangelo-agrees-7-year-deal-vegas-golden-knights

...this is the reason why the Sabres absolutely must not do this.

I don't think trying to sign ANY big name big money free agent is a good idea. Guys in their late 20s like him are either looking for a contender because they care about winning and want a cup OR they no longer care and they just want cash and that's what Buffalo would get because clearly, at this point, we are not a contender. 

I suspect Philly will go heavy on trying to land Hamilton. They're going to go after D one way or another that's for sure. Toronto says they are going to bring in a "big name surprise" so who knows what that is perhaps Hamilton. In any event, I don't think this is the right approach. Better to draft Power and let this team grow with youth. 

But yes, trade Risto. many possible destinations. Now is the time. 

• Like (+1) 4

If he's looking for money as the biggest factor, and he's willing to talk, then I'd be game.  If you're moving on from Ritolainen, Reinhart and Eichel in one offseason you're looking at roughly 21.5 to 25.5 million coming off the books.  Hamilton has never slowed down for the majority of his career.  If anything he's only gotten better, as he's matured.  This is the rare case, where we'll need a calm veteran presence in the room.

22 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

He would sign here only if no other team in the league offered him a deal. Nobody in their right minds would sign here if they didn't have to.

I’m semi in agreement.  People like Hall might come here to grab some quick coin or guys like Sheahan looking for an opportunity to stay in the NHL. 

Only trades or development are bringing in fresh blood.

48 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

He would sign here only if no other team in the league offered him a deal. Nobody in their right minds would sign here if they didn't have to.

He might consider the Hall-treatment. 1 year, $9M. With a NMC so he can effectively choose his playoff team if he's not enough to get this team to the playoffs.  Then, when we do realize we need to move him, he coasts so he doesn't get injured. We end up having to retain half the salary and throw in an overperforming player that season (let's say... Asplund) to make it happen.  😇🍺

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m semi in agreement.  People like Hall might come here to grab some quick coin or guys like Sheahan looking for an opportunity to stay in the NHL. 

Only trades or development are bringing in fresh blood.

Correct, but are those the type of players that will make up better? Doubtful. 

50 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He might consider the Hall-treatment. 1 year, $9M. With a NMC so he can effectively choose his playoff team if he's not enough to get this team to the playoffs.  Then, when we do realize we need to move him, he coasts so he doesn't get injured. We end up having to retain half the salary and throw in an overperforming player that season (let's say... Asplund) to make it happen.  😇🍺

The Sabres are becoming a halfway house.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think trying to sign ANY big name big money free agent is a good idea. Guys in their late 20s like him are either looking for a contender because they care about winning and want a cup OR they no longer care and they just want cash and that's what Buffalo would get because clearly, at this point, we are not a contender. 

This is where I am too, except for FA goalies, because I think the musical chairs game and the mentality of the players are both different from those of skaters.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.