What's Your Favourite Restaurant?

JoeSchmoe

Hey Everyone... Rather than fight and argue all offseason about the 1OA, new coach, Eichel/Reinhart futures I thought this thread as a distraction. 

What is your favourite restaurant?

I'll start and say my favourite is the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse. 

20 years or so ago my friend went to Syracuse on full scholarship. A bunch of us would go down for sports weekends and to hang out. We would eat at the Dino Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

It opened me to the world of BBQ cooking which I've been quite into on my own for a long time since.

I've been to the Buffalo and Rochester locations many times as well... and while still good, neither seem to measure up to the consistency of the Syracuse location.

What do you guys have?

• Like (+1) 1

It's not there anymore, but my favourite restaurant was Bistro Des Artistes in Cleveland.  Only comparable food was from Michael Noble (challenger on the original Iron Chef).  They make what French food at a gourmet level should taste like.  Service was stupendous.

Frank’s Sunny Italy in Buffalo. Big portions and everything’s good. I like Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, but it’s hard to get in to, and then your on top of each other inside, and service is sometimes slow. The Rochester location near the arena was more comfortable. For franchise restaurants it’s Texas Roadhouse. Best chili I’ve ever had.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

Frank’s Sunny Italy in Buffalo. Big portions and everything’s good. I like Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, but it’s hard to get in to, and then your on top of each other inside, and service is sometimes slow. The Rochester location near the arena was more comfortable. For franchise restaurants it’s Texas Roadhouse. Best chili I’ve ever had.

I love Frank's Sunny Italy.  I took my now wife there when she accepted my marriage proposal.  I go there every year on that anniversary.

Apollon in Appleton, WI. The original owner/chef Stavros passed away years ago and so maybe it's not what it once was. But it's a hole-in-the-wall fine dining in the last place you'd expect to find it. So yummy. And the avgolemono soup...  I've never found its equal anywhere else, whether low-end or high-end or even in big, big culinary cities.

All-time: Two that are no longer in existence

Len Berg's in downtown Macon, GA. Only open for lunch. Orders were by letter, with A-D being the daily protein options and E onward being sides. Desserts ordered separately. Pure southern food heaven. I'd get a C-G-L a B-E-H, etc. Then I'd go for peach cobbler or macaroon pie. One floor, made up of separate rooms each with a simple theme.

Bourbon Street in the Roppongi district in Tokyo. A cajun food gem run by an Indian guy from Singapore who learned to cook in Lake Charles, LA. He'd greet every guest and became friends with repeat customers. Food was incredible - legit New Orleans cuisine with Japanese level quality and service. 

Current: 

Simply Crepes in Canandaigua.  Still exploring the menu but after half a dozen visits we haven't found any duds. Nice atmosphere and solid service. Gems include the grilled brussel sprouts side with carmelized bacon and onions, drizzled with maple vinaigrette and topped with feta. French chicken crepe is delicious. Haven't found anything bad yet. Pro tip for two: Order a sweet crepe and a protein based dish and then split them. Best of both worlds.  

• Like (+1) 2

• nfreeman changed the title to What's Your Favourite Restaurant?

I loved Ponderosa and Ruby Tuesday back in the day with the AYCE salad bars.

There was also a small chain in Alabama called Country's BBQ. I heard that they only have one joint left in Auburn, which is a shame since their stuff was so good.

Montgomery has this awesome Mexican restaurant called Sol Restaurante Mexicano & Taqueria. If you feel like venturing to Alabama and want great Mexican food, this is the place to go.

For BBQ, I like Jim N Nick's. They picked up where Country's left off. Also, Mission BBQ. Aside from being veteran-friendly, they offer six different sauces with your meal.

My wife and my MIL LOVE Chicken Salad Chick! I don't mind it myself. However, the decor and ambience has a distinctly feminine air to it. It's definitely not a biker bar.

Gibson's for steak in Chicago

San Marco for Italian in Buffalo (also still loves Chef's)

Ege for Sushi in Marietta, GA

Le Fat for Vietnamese in Atlanta, GA

Nahm for Thai in Alpharetta, GA

Dockside in Port Royal SC for fresh seafood 

La Carreta for Columbian food in Marietta GA

Other really good places in and around Atlanta: The Select, The Optimist, Tiny Lou's, Sotto Sotto, Little Alley's Steak House, La Grotta, and Heirloom Market BBQ.

2 hours ago, Crosschecking said:

I loved Ponderosa and Ruby Tuesday back in the day with the AYCE salad bars.

There was also a small chain in Alabama called Country's BBQ. I heard that they only have one joint left in Auburn, which is a shame since their stuff was so good.

Montgomery has this awesome Mexican restaurant called Sol Restaurante Mexicano & Taqueria. If you feel like venturing to Alabama and want great Mexican food, this is the place to go.

For BBQ, I like Jim N Nick's. They picked up where Country's left off. Also, Mission BBQ. Aside from being veteran-friendly, they offer six different sauces with your meal.

My wife and my MIL LOVE Chicken Salad Chick! I don't mind it myself. However, the decor and ambience has a distinctly feminine air to it. It's definitely not a biker bar.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/victoriavouloumanos/ayce-buffet-workers-horror-stories

I avoid buffets like the plague 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.