Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

And if Beniers was 6'4, 215 he'd be consensus #1.   

But that's not the case, in this universe Power if big and has a crazy reach which he uses to his advantage to defend.... so yeah, it matters.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

This seems to be overlooked in the discussing about the value of size. It's not all about overpowering people, it's also about covering real estate, picking pockets and being hard to get around.

I'm not sure I would call Power "hard to get around". Reach only matters so much and just like another big forward, once teams adjust to your reach what then? Myers effectively was neutralized after teams realized they should just play the pucks into his feet and pressure him. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'm not sure I would call Power "hard to get around". Reach only matters so much and just like another big forward, once teams adjust to your reach what then? Myers effectively sucked after teams realized they should just play the pucks into his feet and pressure him. 

You don’t have to contradict every good thing said about Power. His reach is a very strong skill and several scouting reports mention that he disposes of many zone entries and offensive opportunities because of his stick play.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

You don’t have to contradict every good thing said about Power. His reach is a very strong skill and several scouting reports mention that he disposes of many zone entries and offensive opportunities because of his stick play.

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Kent Johnson has more skill than Beniers IMO.   

Beniers was the 3rd leading scorer on Michigan.  I do like his game alot, but he's not a can't miss elite forward prospect... he could very easily be the next Drew Stafford or Brian Holzinger.

So if Beniers could easily be the next Holzinger, can Power easily end up being the next <insert name of dman over 6’5” who ended up being a bust>?

Just now, LabattBlue said:

So if Beniers could easily be the next Holzinger, can Power easily end up being the next <insert name of dman over 6’5” who ended up being a bust>?

NO

His floor his higher.

🙂

Edited by pi2000

23 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Sir do you realize that the path to success in the NHL is by acquiring many many giraffes?

200.gif

Note that it rhymes with Power.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Claude Balls said:

In other words, no ***** way I'm going to Buffalo

Is his family loaded? Can he forego almost 4 million bucks to sit out until he graduates? 

Stay at Michigan for 3 more years. Come into the league as a free agent. I believe that drops his ELC to a 2 year deal, then he's an RFA for how many more years? 

Lol, it's fun to catastrophize.(is that a word?)

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Power won't bust. He's smart and works hard to tune his game. 

15 hours ago, ubkev said:

Smart kid. Know your weaknesses and how to fix them. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

But not a difference maker! Right? 21 years old? Bust!

I don’t hear about Heiskanen alternating the Norris trophy with Makar for the next 12 years anymore. He took a step back and may return to that path.

Dahlin is ready for a breakout year offensively. He needs the HC to let him roam and pair him with a responsible partner. More puck possession time for him means fewer defensive issues. Hardly anyone remembers how bad Leetch was at defense because he was a point producing machine. I think Dahlin can be better than Leetch defensively but to blossom he needs to be a rover.

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As long as they develop him slowly by sending him back to Michigan, I think they'll get a good player. 

After one more year in college he will be ready to make the jump to the NHL and contribute immediately. That doesn't mean that he will be a top two pairing player in his first year but he will be worthy of a roster spot. 

(I've listened to at least three draft analysts and they all made the point that going back to school would even in the short term accelerate his development as a pro player. As you noted going back to school is the smart way to handle him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.