Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

More so than Power but this is a flawed argument. We aren't drafting over multiple years. 

This idea that we must compare Power or Beniers to the other drafts because first overall is awful. You can't draft the players from previous drafts so it is irrelevant. Further more we know more about the players from every other draft because they have played more, some in the NHL. "Oh hey! Would you take Beniers or Lafrienere? You said they are both first overall... ummm Lafrienere because I know what he is more... WHAT about Jack Hughes or Rasmus Dahlin compared to 2021!?!?! ... Well I would take both because again, I know what they are." Someone from this draft will be as good as most of the players from better (deeper) drafts. The key is making sure you get that player. 

Since you asked about being elite by being a complete player, Matt Beniers is a far more complete player than Owen Power. Could that change in 3 years, sure but with Beniers work ethic, I will take my chances. 

I think you missed the intent of my question. I'm trying to increase my understanding of Beniers upside.

Bergeron is not a conventional #1C, but he is a #1C. Could we one day say the same thing about Beniers?

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think you missed the intent of my question. I'm trying to increase my understanding of Beniers upside.

Bergeron is not a conventional #1C, but he is a #1C. Could we one day say the same thing about Beniers?

Yes, I think so. I have a hard time saying that for any prospect. Bergeron is probably a hall of fame guy or close to it and has been excellent for year. Will Beniers be that good, that's tough but he has the potential. 

Power has the potential to be Pientrangelo in comparison so it all depends on which you value more and which you think more likely. 

Just to clarify, Lance isn’t saying those are the only 3 players they are debating for 1 OA. He talked to the Michigan goalies about the three players that will be top 10 picks in the draft that all play for Michigan.

I think the real debate will be Power, Beniers or maybe Eklund. I don’t even know who the their European scout is at this point.  Eklund hasn’t had much exposure this season over here. He didn’t play in the WJCs and was supposed to play in the WCs but got injured. Not many 5’10 LW go first overall. He doesn’t have the Patrick Kane level of skill to push him over the top. It is a weird draft and a weird year though so who knows.

Edited by Flashsabre

30 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Just to clarify, Lance isn’t saying those are the only 3 players they are debating for 1 OA. He talked to the Michigan goalies about the three players that will be top 10 picks in the draft that all play for Michigan.

I think the real debate will be Power, Beniers or maybe Eklund. I don’t even know who the their European scout is at this point.  Eklund hasn’t had much exposure this season over here. He didn’t play in the WJCs and was supposed to play in the WCs but got injured. Not many 5’10 LW go first overall. He doesn’t have the Patrick Kane level of skill to push him over the top. It is a weird draft and a weird year though so who knows.

We do have a Euro scout, Anders Forsberg

^pretty notable. Lot of work to do with Power. Adams seems to not only be ok with that, but actively seeks it (“best player down the line”). Is it smart for this franchise to put that much stock in their development abilities? Actually asking. It does seem to me that Power will be the pick 

Since I said something bad about Power, here is something good. The numbers for his freshmen season are good (not great) and I would leave him at Michigan one further season. I think digging into the production that if you allow him to develop another year before the NHL he might be able to improve his offense which has some issues that could be corrected in time. Specifically I think his transitions and zone passing are good but can be improved upon at the lower NCAA level. He's got the potential to be an assist machine. Further this would also allow some of his defensive issues to get rounded out basically polishing a player that does have issues with his game. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

^pretty notable. Lot of work to do with Power. Adams seems to not only be ok with that, but actively seeks it (“best player down the line”). Is it smart for this franchise to put that much stock in their development abilities? Actually asking. It does seem to me that Power will be the pick 

Adams will look at the perceived ceiling of a player and go from there. Power's ceiling I think is a bit lower than some want to admit (aka he's not hedman). 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Since I said something bad about Power, here is something good. The numbers for his freshmen season are good (not great) and I would leave him at Michigan one further season. I think digging into the production that if you allow him to develop another year before the NHL he might be able to improve his offense which has some issues that could be corrected in time. Specifically I think his transitions and zone passing are good but can be improved upon at the lower NCAA level. His got the potential to be an assist machine. Further this would also allow some of his defensive issues to get rounded out basically polishing a player that does have issues with his game. 

Adams will look at the perceived ceiling of a player and go from there. Power's ceiling I think is a bit lower than some want to admit (aka he's not hedman). 

But I’m thinking, maybe he should be looking at “floor”. 

And maybe that leans Power 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Since I said something bad about Power, here is something good. The numbers for his freshmen season are good (not great) and I would leave him at Michigan one further season. I think digging into the production that if you allow him to develop another year before the NHL he might be able to improve his offense which has some issues that could be corrected in time. Specifically I think his transitions and zone passing are good but can be improved upon at the lower NCAA level. His got the potential to be an assist machine. Further this would also allow some of his defensive issues to get rounded out basically polishing a player that does have issues with his game. 

Chris Peters talks about Defenseman returning to College after being drafted and how to assisted with Their Development.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Listening to Rivet try to compare Hedman to Power makes me nauseous. Anyways... 

FTFY

Just now, Brawndo said:

Chris Peters talks about Defenseman returning to College after being drafted and how to assisted with Their Development.

That is interesting.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Was golfing so this is late but a good read:

Just circling around to this. Some notable stuff I liked from it:

He shows a ton of confidence in the interview. He notes on multiple occasions he felt like he belonged among the pros there and didn't need to get amped up by any particular person/player/coach/moment to play at a high level.

Who was the toughest player you faced?  

"Probably [Vladimir] Tarasenko from Russia. Obviously, he's a real good NHLer and I thought he was pretty tough to play against with how strong he is and how dangerous he was." 

What was your mindset when you had to be out there with him? 

"I don't think I had that much of a different mindset. Like I said before, you can't play scared. You got to go out there and play and keep a tight gap. If you give those players a lot of space they're just going to take advantage of it, so try and keep a tight gap and give him no space to make plays." 

You see him say he's confident in his game and has improved a lot but also acknowledges the work ahead of him to take the next step.

How much potential do you see in the offensive side of your game? 

"I see a lot. It's nowhere near where I think it can get. It's just going to continue to get better and that's something I focus on working on in the summer. I think there's tons of room for improvement." 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.