Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

The Hype train for Power is amazing. I have never seen anything like it to be honest. Owen Power needs some work and he's being talked about as a sure fire Hedman type of player. Also the fact he is 6'6" doesn't really matter unless that size is used as part of his game. Power uses his reach but he just isn't that physical and he gets turned around by faster smaller forwards at times. He needs refinement and thinking otherwise because he looked okay at the Worlds is asking for trouble. 

When they draft Power, I just hope they send him back to the NCAA so he can really develop and then we can hopefully get him to his full potential. 

Here is the Dreger interview, about halfway ish through is where they start talking about Power. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-instigators/06-11-tsns-darren-dreger-with-the-instigators

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This has been posted but please listen. It really is worth hearing about Power and what issues he has. "You don't want to end up in another situation where you have a Rasmus Ristolainen"

He admits Power might be the best long term pick, right? Will just take him more time if he smoothes out his bad tendencies. 

Kept talking about not rushing him. 

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres passing on a skilled center to add a project LHD to the pipeline because he's big and skates well is peak Sabres flawed reasoning. It's the same type of thinking that gets you Quinn instead of Rossi. That gets you Nylander instead of Sergachev.  Samuelsson instead of Berggren. Laaksonen instead of Farrance. 

Kent Johnson has more skill than Beniers IMO.   

Beniers was the 3rd leading scorer on Michigan.  I do like his game alot, but he's not a can't miss elite forward prospect... he could very easily be the next Drew Stafford or Brian Holzinger.

Edited by pi2000

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's not going off the board. It is not buying into the hype and recency bias occurring. Power is #1 because he is 6'6". There I said what the truth is. He isn't #1 because he's the best defender (hughes probably is). He isn't #1 because he has crazy Dahlin like skill (Eklund probably is the most skilled), he isnt #1 because he has the best well rounded game (Beniers). He is #1 because the Canadian media are obsessed with him and he is big. If Owen Power were 6'3" he would not be ranked by about 70% of ppl as the first overall. 

And if Beniers was 6'4, 215 he'd be consensus #1.   

But that's not the case, in this universe Power if big and has a crazy reach which he uses to his advantage to defend.... so yeah, it matters.

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

And if Beniers was 6'4, 215 he'd be consensus #1.   

But that's not the case, in this universe Power if big and has a crazy reach which he uses to his advantage to defend.... so yeah, it matters.

This seems to be overlooked in the discussing about the value of size. It's not all about overpowering people, it's also about covering real estate, picking pockets and being hard to get around.

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I have, what's your point?

Lemme guess, Power will be a bust because Logan Brown was a bust?

Ok.

You're talking about Beniers who cares about size he could be a mouse  And I wouldn't care the problem  Is point production and skill

Edited by Buffalonill

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You're talking about Beniers who cares about size he could a mouse  And I wouldn't care the problem is  Is point production and skill

If that's the case then Kent Johnson ranks ahead of Beniers.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Per Dreger the Sabres are planning to draft Power 

wait no hold on, we are definitely looking to trade down!

what was that about the reporters being used to funnel info? Friedman was carrying water for Jack's agent?

Dreger is carrying water for Adams - Adams wants it known we are targeting Power, so teams actually have a reason to trade up to get him ie he won't be there if they don't 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres passing on a skilled center to add a project LHD to the pipeline because he's big and skates well is peak Sabres flawed reasoning. It's the same type of thinking that gets you Quinn instead of Rossi. That gets you Nylander instead of Sergachev.  Samuelsson instead of Berggren. Laaksonen instead of Farrance. 

Beniers will be our man, and another asset to boot 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

That from Instigators this morning?

If so, when I heard it, I didn't take it as inside info, more like Friedman's (paraphrase) "everyone knows Power is the best prospect, of course you are going to take him."

Like it or not, truth or not, public perception that there is a consensus has arrived.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Listening to Dreger talk about Power... he knows almost nothing about prospects holy hell. His main comment was that Power is powerful and has a big wingspan and is ready to be plugged in immediately. Just completely delusional and that isn't a bash on Power. Power needs another NCAA year to refine his game. 

Just so we are clear, Dreger doesn't say he knows who Buffalo is taking, he just is assuming. 

My Bad I was going off this Tweet

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This seems to be overlooked in the discussing about the value of size. It's not all about overpowering people, it's also about covering real estate, picking pockets and being hard to get around.

The concern that is mentioned he has problems defending blueline entries and aggressive forecheckers

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The Hype train for Power is amazing. I have never seen anything like it to be honest. Owen Power needs some work and he's being talked about as a sure fire Hedman type of player. Also the fact he is 6'6" doesn't really matter unless that size is used as part of his game. Power uses his reach but he just isn't that physical and he gets turned around by faster smaller forwards at times. He needs refinement and thinking otherwise because he looked okay at the Worlds is asking for trouble. 

When they draft Power, I just hope they send him back to the NCAA so he can really develop and then we can hopefully get him to his full potential. 

Here is the Dreger interview, about halfway ish through is where they start talking about Power. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-instigators/06-11-tsns-darren-dreger-with-the-instigators

I still want Beniers over him, I would be okay with Power.  This team needs so much it's not even funny.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The hype train is not as strong as you think it is, you just don’t like him and are overly obsessed with a single prospect so anytime someone says a positive thing about anyone else you just start shouting “hype train hype train hype train.” I promise you thousands of people who view Power as number one aren’t just making it up in their heads. You might be wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.