Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

If Adams passes on him it's conclusive proof he is the most dangerous type of executive in all of pro sports: The village idiot who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

Or perhaps he likes a different player better and their stat nerds agree with him?

FWIW I would pass on Power for Beniers.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

If Adams passes on him it's conclusive proof he is the most dangerous type of executive in all of pro sports: The village idiot who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

I don’t think someone would need to be an idiot to favor drafting anyone other than Power.  It seems that roughly one third of the people on this forum prefer Beniers over  Power.  I don’t think that we are all village idiots who think we are geniuses.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

This has been posted but please listen. It really is worth hearing about Power and what issues he has. "You don't want to end up in another situation where you have a Rasmus Ristolainen"

Risto's issue is that he is just about the dumbest player I have ever seen play in the NHL. I will never forget hanging outside the Harbor Center Tims and some guy in a sports car comes speeding down the street like the Daytona 500 and my friend turns to me and says "Risto".

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think someone would need to be an idiot to favor drafting anyone other than Power.  It seems that roughly one third of the people on this forum prefer Beniers over  Power.  I don’t think that we are all village idiots who think we are geniuses.

Thorny (thinking of himself) reacted to this, "Skeptical"

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, sabremike said:

And even with his negatives Risto was "developed" (ruined) in just about the worst most incompetent manner you will ever see in pro hockey.

I think I'd use the term "overexposed", rather than ruined

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

Who do you trust: A guy who is in no way qualified to hold an NHL GM position backed by a scouting department that barely exists or the overwhelming consensus of scouts throughout the league?

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This has been posted but please listen. It really is worth hearing about Power and what issues he has. "You don't want to end up in another situation where you have a Rasmus Ristolainen"

And by Risto, he means a player that was pushed into the NHL before he was ready and fed monster minutes. He was never put in a position to develop and succeed.  Power does have things to work on and going back to Michigan is the absolute best move for him. Let him play in college, play in the WJCs and re-evaluate  him at the end of next season.

Just now, Flashsabre said:

And by Risto, he means a player that was pushed into the NHL before he was ready and fed monster minutes. He was never put in a position to develop and succeed.  Power does have things to work on and going back to Michigan is the absolute best move for him. Let him play in college, play in the WJCs and re-evaluate  him at the end of next season.

If by Power you mean Beniers than yes. 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I don't want to draft him either but he's basically consensus #1, that expression you use would be better served if they went away from consensus, not affirmed it 

No he is not and everyone on this ***** board can try and tell me that until they turn purple in the face. It is a 60-70/30-40 split. It IS NOT a consensus. 

Further IDC if it is a consensus. Owen Power is not the best player in the draft. 

The Sabres passing on a skilled center to add a project LHD to the pipeline because he's big and skates well is peak Sabres flawed reasoning. It's the same type of thinking that gets you Quinn instead of Rossi. That gets you Nylander instead of Sergachev.  Samuelsson instead of Berggren. Laaksonen instead of Farrance. 

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Dreger the Sabres are planning to draft Power 

That from Instigators this morning?

If so, when I heard it, I didn't take it as inside info, more like Friedman's (paraphrase) "everyone knows Power is the best prospect, of course you are going to take him."

Like it or not, truth or not, public perception that there is a consensus has arrived.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No he is not and everyone on this ***** board can try and tell me that until they turn purple in the face. It is a 60-70/30-40 split. It IS NOT a consensus. 

Further IDC if it is a consensus. Owen Power is not the best player in the draft. 

What is a 60-70/30-40 split lmao

Edit I get what you're saying here. I woulda switched the slashes slashes the hyphens 

You are the minority position my friend, I am there with you, but the hockey establishment has spoken on this. "Getting out of their own way" is best served to describe a team taking the guy most people agree is #1, and "not getting out of their own way" would be used to describe getting too fancy and going off the board. Which I hope they do

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

What is a 60-70/30-40 split lmao

You are the minority position my friend, I am there with you, but the hockey establishment has spoken on this. "Getting out of their own way" is best served to describe a team taking the guy most people agree is #1, and "not getting out of their own way" would be used to describe getting too fancy and going off the board. Which I hope they do

It's not going off the board. It is not buying into the hype and recency bias occurring. Power is #1 because he is 6'6". There I said what the truth is. He isn't #1 because he's the best defender (hughes probably is). He isn't #1 because he has crazy Dahlin like skill (Eklund probably is the most skilled), he isnt #1 because he has the best well rounded game (Beniers). He is #1 because the Canadian media are obsessed with him and he is big. If Owen Power were 6'3" he would not be ranked by about 70% of ppl as the first overall. 

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Who do you trust: A guy who is in no way qualified to hold an NHL GM position backed by a scouting department that barely exists or the overwhelming consensus of scouts throughout the league?

I don’t know how to answer that.  If he wants Beniers, then I guess I trust that unqualified guy, in this case.

Edited by Curt

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Dreger the Sabres are planning to draft Power 

Listening to Dreger talk about Power... he knows almost nothing about prospects holy hell. His main comment was that Power is powerful and has a big wingspan and is ready to be plugged in immediately. Just completely delusional and that isn't a bash on Power. Power needs another NCAA year to refine his game. 

Just so we are clear, Dreger doesn't say he knows who Buffalo is taking, he just is assuming. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.