Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Eichel is a flawed player with a big injury history. He has missed 91 games in 5 years. They are not getting a Byfield,  Zegras,  Drysdale,  Kaprizov,  Turcotte,  Lafranierre,  type player coming back. 

You should try those numbers again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I can justify Jack Eichel saying that, but never the captain of the Buffalo Sabres, if you follow my distinction.

The role demands putting the organization first and setting the tone for the team.

“Henri, I need you to slide over to the left side because McCabe is still out.” “Sorry, Donnie. I play best with Ras. Like Jack said, you’ve got to look after yourself.”

“Victor, I’m moving you down to the 3rd line because we need to balance the scoring out.” “Sorry Donnie, but I’m not playing with Eakin, he sucks. I’m a goal scorer and I need to play with someone who gets me the puck. You’ve got to look after yourself. “

“Linus, you’re going to have to play back-to-back. Hutton has double-vision again.” “Sorry Donnie, but that will hurt my numbers and put me a greater risk of injury. You’ve got to look after yourself.”

The way Granato operates, as do most coaches, if not all, is that he doesn't ask a player if he wants to do something; he tells them what to do. The HC makes decisions on what is best for the team. If the coach wants to split up the lines in order to get more balance I'm sure he he will talk to the player in advance of the move, and then make the move. It doesn't matter if the player is happy with his changing role or not. If a player is unhappy but continues to play hard that is fine. If a player is unhappy and his play slips he will be sat down. Holding players accountable for their play is a responsibility of the coach. Making players happy is not a major concern of his.  

Edited by JohnC

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So we disagree. Why slap a pejorative label on my opinion and insist you have it right?

Classic.

I am criticizing the position you staked out as revisionist in nature - post hoc and flawed. That's what disagreement is. That's what debate is. Try to keep up, Sparky.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am criticizing the position you staked out as revisionist in nature - post hoc and flawed. That's what disagreement is. That's what debate is. Try to keep up, Sparky.

It's not even revisionist as much as it is a fabrication. PA isn't really criticizing Eichel, he's criticizing the version of Eichel he's built in his brain from little bits and pieces and a whole lot of Bondo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Eichel is a flawed player with a big injury history. He has missed 91 games in 5 years. They are not getting a Byfield,  Zegras,  Drysdale,  Kaprizov,  Turcotte,  Lafranierre,  type player coming back. 

Edit: @Curtcaught it missed 78 in 6 years. Still a significant amount. 

Thanks, good to know you have this figured out when no one else does.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t agree.  Missing 12 games in an 82 game season is akin to a football player missing 2 games a season.  

Personally I think that IS significant.  It is different in Hockey.

12 games are worth 24 points.  24 points is the difference between finishing first overall in the league  and finishing 8th to 10th.  24 points is the difference between what is usually the last playoff team and the worst team in the league.  In the NFL, 2 games means MUCH less (on average) in the standings than 12 games does in the NHL.

3 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

How big a deal would it be to this team's already awful reputation if Jack wins a Cup the first year on his new team?

First ROR, and then Eichel.

I don't think your franchise could ever live that down until it wins a Cup.

Adams cannot make a deal that doesn't bring back legit multiple pieces of high level talent and picks.  

I don’t think anyone would remember it in like three years.

Beyond the missed games, Eichel also has a notable number of games where he's played with noticeable injuries that impacted his game. All games this season (where he was essentially a shot decoy on the PP and had only the one EV goal all season, which was the beautiful drive to the net to redirect a perfect Reino pass and we thought "Jack is finally looking healthy again". He was also injured at the end of the 2019-20 season, with just 1 goal in the final 7 games of which we lost 6 in a row. Get a few more points in those 6 games and we'd have been in the bubble (with Ullmark back) vs. Pittsburgh instead of Montreal.

Edited by DarthEbriate

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Nice catch.  Has still missed 78 in 6 years. That is significant.  

About half of that is from this past seasons neck injury, which is a significant concern. 

Apart from that, I think Eichel has been reasonably healthy, but not the picture of health.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's not even revisionist as much as it is a fabrication. PA isn't really criticizing Eichel, he's criticizing the version of Eichel he's built in his brain from little bits and pieces and a whole lot of Bondo. 

That's the nature of criticizing performers and celebrities. You don't know if Jack is a funny guy or a cool dude. You don't know Jack. It's all an impression based on bits and pieces. Speaking of trying too hard.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

What revision? I had the opinion then and still do. It was burned into my memory. There's an open mic and I hear one guy being an ass. Well, now I hear two.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

That's the nature of criticizing performers and celebrities. You don't know if Jack is a funny guy or a cool dude. You don't know Jack. It's all an impression based on bits and pieces. Speaking of trying too hard.

Cool. Maybe we shouldn't engage in it so heavily then if our brains are so broken that nothing good or interesting is ever produced.

Criticize Jack for the stuff that actually happened if you want. The rest is just imagination land nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

Cool. Maybe we shouldn't engage in it so heavily then if our brains are so broken that nothing good or interesting is ever produced.

Criticize Jack for the stuff that actually happened if you want. The rest is just imagination land nonsense.

He smack-talked some guys in a scrimmage. That actually happened. I didn't like it. Nothing more complicated than that. I don't love or hate Jack. I feel nothing about his impending trade except hope that we're better after the trade than before.

Yours is the imagination with no bounds, apparently.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

He smack-talked some guys in a scrimmage. That actually happened. I didn't like it. Nothing more complicated than that. I don't love or hate Jack. I feel nothing about his impending trade except hope that we're better after the trade than before.

Yours is the imagination with no bounds, apparently.

I don’t hate him but I don’t like him. He was, and is a horrible captain, is selfish (exit interview), drops F bombs on podcasts where younger fans can hear, and wants to play for his hometown Bruins. Not to mention he is looking to bail out halfway through a 10 year contract. On a personal level there is not much to like.

I do however give him credit for what he does for various charities and things of that nature. It’s not like the guys is a horrible person or something (though he does have significant flaws IMO), but will not miss him so long as we get fair value back. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, darksabre said:

I think people read way too much into that press conference about his injury. It was a nice piece of theater on Jack's part to try to get the surgery he wants. I understand why he did it and I don't think it's as damaging to the business relationship as everyone else thinks it was. I'm sure Adams and co knew it was coming and weren't concerned one way or another. 

This exactly. There's so much dealing in absolutes re: singular comments it's driving me a bit bonkers 

On 7/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, inkman said:

It is but he did nothing to endear himself to the city or fans.  It was an easy transition.  He’s not charismatic and comes across strange in the media.  

Calling BS on this. Not only his exciting play on the ice but the work we've seen him putting in in the community 

Why is it necessary to speak for all of the fans? The fact it doesn't speak to me proves there are certainly fans out there torn up about the fact he's going, regardless of how far, far to the side of the spectrum the discussion has become on this forum.