Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Our GM…when GMs are trying to get maximal value for a player, they pump them up in the media. They say stuff like “Jack is an extremely important part of our team. We expect him to be professional and be an indispensable part of our run at the Stanley Cup in 2022.” But, no, we get “We only want players who want to be here.”

But, we’re hearing none of the usual verbiage. We are getting the exact opposite. 

I remember the 2011 Bills off-season when their GM went full radio silence.  Similar sentiments then were expressed by the media that nothing was coming out of the front office.  No attempts at subterfuge, talking up players, or anything for insiders to report.  Teams rarely take this approach.    

Perhaps Adams has a grand plan that will be unveiled at the right time.  But there are a host of major decisions to be made and they're keeping things very close to the vest.  All I can believe is that they see no benefit to talking about the situation.  Perhaps they're concerned about the fall-out from trading the two best players on the team or the fact that an expansion draft looms.  

They're not building much leverage with their assets - at least right now.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The 64 gazillion dollar question is — why did Adams start thinking about moving Jack after last season?

IMHO, Jack asked to go and GMKA stopped hanging up on calls for Eichel.

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The 64 gazillion dollar question is — why did Adams start thinking about moving Jack after last season?

I really do believe that after Adams was appointed GM he met with Eichel and Eichel told him he favored leaving over staying.  Indeed, Adams has never said that Eichel asked to be traded, but that doesn’t mean a thing and the Rangers rumors started immediately afterwards, and now here we are.   The injury is a sorry sideshow covering what they both may have wanted.  Unfortunately, the injury will hurt our return.  

I just don’t see this turning out good for Buffalo.   We were a weak team with Eichel, Reinhart, Risto and Ullmark.  What will we look like without them.  This summer is critical for the franchise.  

PS. The tone here has changed, just like before the ROR trade. There is that “just get it over with” acceptance, added to the refrain of “trade the bum, he is a bad captain”.  

Edited by Pimlach

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I read this and it makes me think of that question, “when did you stop beating your wife.”

Do we actually know that Adams wants to move Jack? Is there a direct quote I missed?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I really do believe that after Adams was appointed GM he met with Eichel and Eichel told him he favored leaving over staying.  Indeed, Adams has never said that Eichel asked to be traded, but that doesn’t mean a thing and the Rangers rumors started immediately afterwards, and now here we are.   The injury is a sorry sideshow covering what they both may 

PS. The tone here has changed, just like before the ROR trade. There is that “just get it over with” acceptance, added to the refrain of “trade the bum, he is a bad captain”.  

That's because he is a bad Captain. He has never learned or been mentored/developed on how to lead (especially how to lead through adversity). He has always been the Golden Child. The most talented on every team he has played on since PeeWee.  He should have never been given the C until he EARNED it. Talent does not earn it. Leadership earns the C. (Not Jack's fault necessarily, but that is the position he has been put in).  He is spoiled goods/talent and needs to be removed from the team for the best possible return. The only other option is to remove the C from him and just let him be an elite talent.  It takes an extremely mature man to handle that demotion well. I don't see that maturity. Sad, but it is the right thing for GMKA to do with the cards he has been dealt if he wants to build a team for success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I read this and it makes me think of that question, “when did you stop beating your wife.”

Do we actually know that Adams wants to move Jack? Is there a direct quote I missed?

Considering he won't even acknowledge that Jack Eichel exists I don't think there are any quotes indicating he wants to move him.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why do you keep asking this question ?  Do you really think that GMs freely tell the media what they say with players and other GMs?  

Adams is actively talking to teams about an Eichel trade.  There are at least 6 teams that have leaked conversations - Anaheim, Kings, Vegas, Columbus, Minnesota, and Rangers.   You don’t have quotes of KA denying it either.  

What quotes do you need?  KA talked to Eichel after the prior season ended and then trade rumors with the Rangers started.  He kept RK, he brought in veterans, he brought in Hall … all for Jack … yet trade rumors were there.  Now there is an injury “disconnect”.  

GMs talk about anything and everything.  They don’t put every conversation in the news with a “direct quote”.  

The only thing stopping an Eichel trade is if KA decides the offers are too low.  If the offers are too low it is due to injury uncertainty.   What other information do you need?    Adams is willing to trade Eichel and he doesn’t have to give anyone a direct quote.  He is smart not to.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

What's clear is that the GM is listening to offers for Jack. And what's also clear is that the Sabres had made it known that the price tag is high.  Is that a fact? Most people in the business think so. There are so many reports from credible people in the media business who talk to front office staffs that it can't be ignored. The question of how it got to this point isn't very meaningful because it's apparent we have already arrived at that trade point. 

When there are two parties in a dispute where both sides agree that the best course of action is to move on then what is obvious is obvious. This is a case where both sides are acting on what they see as their perceived best interests. It happens. The most important issue for me is what is the return.   

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Punch getting a little Punchy tells me it's going to be a rrreeeaaallll long and hot summer.

Not trying to get punchy. 

I am trying to  convince @SwampDthat Adams quotes, or lack there of, are not a gauge of what’s really going on behind the scenes. 

@SwampD, no offense is meant. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What's clear is that the GM is listening to offers for Jack. And what's also clear is that the Sabres had made it known that the price tag is high.  Is that a fact? Most people in the business think so. There are so many reports from credible people in the media business who talk to front office staffs that it can't be ignored. The question of how it got to this point isn't very meaningful because it's apparent we have already arrived at that trade point. 

When there are two parties in a dispute where both sides agree that the best course of action is to move on then what is obvious is obvious. This is a case where both sides are acting on what they see as their perceived best interests. It happens. The most important issue for me is what is the return.   

Don't necessarily agree on the bolded bit. The factors that led KA to make this decision are probably very relevant in terms of how this GM seeks to operate going forward

23 hours ago, Ogelthorpe said:

I'm not saying you but a very high percentage of people are overvaluing Eichel on this forum.

I think your Minny trade is dead on maybe 22 OA instead.  From the Rangers maybe Shesterkin, Jones, 16 OA. 

Why is asking for a potential top line center and more over valuing Eichel? Who is in his prime and already under contract etc.  If a team wants value they have to give us at least the same value back if not more. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Don't necessarily agree on the bolded bit. The factors that led KA to make this decision are probably very relevant in terms of how this GM seeks to operate going forward

The reasons for the player's disillusionment are not too difficult to discern. When you reside in a rickety house with the roof leaking and the foundations buckling it shouldn't be surprising that you would prefer living in a more stable house. In his fifth year, although sidelined due to injuries last year, the Sabres had the worst record in the NHL. He's simply grew tired of being stuck in such a dispiriting situation. He's not unique with the feelings he has. It's the same sensation that Reinhart, Risto and others have. There is no back story to figure it. It's a story that is in plain sight for everyone to see. 

As I said in the prior post it just seems as if it got to the point where it is in everyone's best interest to move on and get a fresh start. What I am focused on is the return. When the train has left the station it is gone. The issue then becomes about the next train and not the train that has passed you by. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The reasons for the player's disillusionment are not too difficult to discern. When you reside in a rickety house with the roof leaking and the foundations buckling it shouldn't be surprising that you would prefer living in a more stable house. In his fifth year, although sidelined due to injuries last year, the Sabres had the worst record in the NHL. He's simply grew tired of being stuck in such a dispiriting situation. He's not unique with the feelings he has. It's the same sensation that Reinhart, Risto and others have. There is no back story to figure it. It's a story that is in plain sight for everyone to see. 

As I said in the prior post it just seems as if it got to the point where it is in everyone's best interest to move on and get a fresh start. What I am focused on is the return. When the train has left the station it is gone. The issue then becomes about the next train and not the train that has passed you by. 

But again, I don't believe Jack's disillusionment to be the instigating factor. And even if it was, KA allowed it to be so at his own discretion rather than fostering a solution. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

64 gazillion. Is that still played on a pyramid? Or are we up to hexagons? And now I'm going to listen to the $25,000 pyramid theme song in my head all day to drown out the desire to check Sabres news. For sanity's sake.

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But again, I don't believe Jack's disillusionment to be the instigating factor. And even if it was, KA allowed it to be so at his own discretion rather than fostering a solution. 

You honestly don’t think that us being perennial cellar dwellers has anything to do with it? I’m rather convinced that Jack is simply finally tapping out because of how awful this organization is. The injury/ surgery spectacle is an easy way out while saving face. 

This is human nature; people do it with relationships, employment etc. Very few people simply shrug and admit that they want to leave a long term commitment for greener pastures because some people (such as myself) view that as a character flaw. Others of course don’t care (the YOLO crowd) but there are still some of us dinosaurs left. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Let me put it this way. If you were on the sinking Titanic, even though you bought a first class ticket, wouldn't you jump ship if literally any other boat was sailing by?

I think the nuance I want to try to strike is that:

-Jack is fine with being traded

-Jack never demanded it

-If it happens, it's because the front office wants it to

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think the nuance I want to try to strike is that:

-Jack is fine with being traded

-Jack never demanded it

-If it happens, it's because the front office wants it to

Jack would have fit on the door. 

titanic inception GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Why do you keep asking this question ?  Do you really think that GMs freely tell the media what they say with players and other GMs?  

Adams is actively talking to teams about an Eichel trade.  There are at least 6 teams that have leaked conversations - Anaheim, Kings, Vegas, Columbus, Minnesota, and Rangers.   You don’t have quotes of KA denying it either.  

What quotes do you need?  KA talked to Eichel after the prior season ended and then trade rumors with the Rangers started.  He kept RK, he brought in veterans, he brought in Hall … all for Jack … yet trade rumors were there.  Now there is an injury “disconnect”.  

GMs talk about anything and everything.  They don’t put every conversation in the news with a “direct quote”.  

The only thing stopping an Eichel trade is if KA decides the offers are too low.  If the offers are too low it is due to injury uncertainty.   What other information do you need?    Adams is willing to trade Eichel and he doesn’t have to give anyone a direct quote.  He is smart not to.  

Whole lotta assumptions going on in here. Just because they talked, doesn’t mean that KA wants to trade Jack.

Who called whom? Is he calling teams and saying what’ll you give me, or are they calling him and asking what’ll it take to get him? And GMs talk all the time.

I just don’t get why everyone is so eager to get rid of Jack. He’s an unbelievable talent, under a decent contract for 5 more years. Get’m healthy and get him some teammates and start ***** winning. The Sabres need to stop getting rid of their good players.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

Whole lotta assumptions going on in here. Just because they talked, doesn’t mean that KA wants to trade Jack.

Who called whom? Is he calling teams and saying what’ll you give me, or are they calling him and asking what’ll it take to get him? And GMs talk all the time.

I just don’t get why everyone is so eager to get rid of Jack. He’s an unbelievable talent, under a decent contract for 5 more years. Get’m healthy and get him some teammates and start ***** winning. The Sabres need to stop getting rid of their good players.

The amount of people who have already turned on him/decided he's the villain, is staggering. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2