Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

For the record, that headline is almost guaranteed to have come from a digital producer who meant to say “preferred” but just had a brain fart. Said digital producer probably knows nothing about the story (they were regurgitating Emily Kaplan’s ESPN report which used the term “preferred” and not “proper”).

Is this supposed to curry my sympathy for the clueless digital producer? It doesn’t in the least. Words are important. Let me know when that media source sets the record straight. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Vegas has lost 4 in a row, it’s early but does their owner want to shake things up? They play the Avs next and may not match up well.

Its not like Jack would be ready to play though.

We need them to get destroyed by Colorado tonight. Losing 5-1 or something might convince they need to add that center and add them now. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We need them to get destroyed by Colorado tonight. Losing 5-1 or something might convince they need to add that center and add them now. 

How does that help Vegas though? Eichel can't play anytime soon anyways. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

You're right that it's not immediate help, but if Vegas or Toronto or someone else panics and trades for Eichel now, he can have the ADR ASAP and, allegedly, play after the Olympic break.

It would reduce the pressure on the panicked GM, at least for now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You toss in Eakin and Vegas' knows it has reinforcements coming that are very good. Their issue is center depth and if they think they need a change they make it. For Vegas is should be about winning a cup and if they struggle for 2 months until Eichel comes online than they might be fine with that risk. 

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

For the record, that headline is almost guaranteed to have come from a digital producer who meant to say “preferred” but just had a brain fart. Said digital producer probably knows nothing about the story (they were regurgitating Emily Kaplan’s ESPN report which used the term “preferred” and not “proper”).

This is correct.  Writers/reporters almost never are the ones writing their own headlines for their stories.  The headlines are generally written by someone else with marketing/attention grabbing/visibility as the primary concern.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Is this supposed to curry my sympathy for the clueless digital producer? It doesn’t in the least. Words are important. Let me know when that media source sets the record straight. 

No sympathy required, just information so you know the correct direction to aim your ire.  The person who wrote the story probably isn’t responsible for the headline.

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is correct.  Writers/reporters almost never are the ones writing their own headlines for their stories.  The headlines are generally written by someone else with marketing/attention grabbing/visibility as the primary concern.

No sympathy required, just information so you know the correct direction to aim your ire.  The person who wrote the story probably isn’t responsible for the headline.

I’m quite familiar with where my “ire” should be aimed and while some copy editor may be the ultimate culprit for a botched headline, it’s still the responsibility of the media source to recognize and fix the mistake. The headline wording is irresponsible and serves to completely mislead the consumer.

If you didn’t know better and only skimmed the headline, you’d think the Sabres are denying Eichel the proper treatment for his injury. And coincidence or not, that’s exactly the kind of PR Brisson and Co. seek to propagate. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I’m quite familiar with where my “ire” should be aimed and while some copy editor may be the ultimate culprit for a botched headline, it’s still the responsibility of the media source to recognize and fix the mistake. The headline wording is irresponsible and serves to completely mislead the consumer.

If you didn’t know better and only skimmed the headline, you’d think the Sabres are denying Eichel the proper treatment for his injury. And coincidence or not, that’s exactly the kind of PR Brisson and Co. seek to propagate. 

Agree completely, misleading headlines really irk me too.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone ever consider this nightmare scenario?

-Sabres Trade Eichel ( Calgary, Anaheim, where-ever) and get a bit less than they would normally because he is injured.

-Eichel goes to that team, plays until the end of this season and plays very well.

-That team, whoever they are, then turns around and flips a proven HEALTHY Eichel to the Vegas, the Rangers, or Boston, or someone else in the offseason when THOSE teams had both the chance to see him play and had a chance to clear some cap space.  

-The nightmare scenario for Sabres fans would be if something like that happened, the team that 'flips' Eichel ends up getting a lot more in return than what they gave up.

I don't think it is likely, but I also don't want to 100% rule out a situation like that.  I guess that is the one reason I am glad Adams is holding on for a big return and not just 'giving in' to what is currently out there.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I wouldn't see that as a nightmare.

We'd be done with Eichel.  After that he's not our concern (except when his team played the Sabres).

I'm just thinking if the team that traded him less than a year later got a lot more than the Sabres did in return, a lot of the fanbase here would be very upset.  It certainly would be a topic of discussion for a while.

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

-Sabres Trade Eichel ( Calgary, Anaheim, where-ever) and get a bit less than they would normally because he is injured.

-Eichel goes to that team, plays until the end of this season and plays very well.

-That team, whoever they are, then turns around and flips a proven HEALTHY Eichel to the Vegas, the Rangers, or Boston, or someone else in the offseason when THOSE teams had both the chance to see him play and had a chance to clear some cap space.  

-The nightmare scenario for Sabres fans would be if something like that happened, the team that 'flips' Eichel ends up getting a lot more in return than what they gave up.

I don't think it is likely, but I also don't want to 100% rule out a situation like that.  I guess that is the one reason I am glad Adams is holding on for a big return and not just 'giving in' to what is currently out there.

Nightmare only for pundits

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

In your scenario Eichel doesn’t need surgery?

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

On the sample token, we could also do the same thing. Flip an injured unknown for Marner, then turn around and trade a healthy Marner for likely more than we could get for Eichel today. 

38 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

No, he gets the surgery with the shorter recovery time, and ends up playing a few games late this season to show he is healthy.

Imagine all the people who might have won the lottery if they just bought tickets every single week.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I've never considered that. Once Eichel leaves it doesn't matter

51 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

No, he gets the surgery with the shorter recovery time, and ends up playing a few games late this season to show he is healthy.

that's not gonna happen

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

In your scenario does Jason Botterill come back as the Sabres GM to pull the trigger on this trade? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I might be tempted to add a conditional set of picks to a team in regards to that situation.

Since it wouldn’t be based on signing a contract it should be ok as well.

If Eichel is traded again within this contract’s term to any Eastern Conference team then Buffalo receives the original destination team’s unprotected 1sts for as many years as Eichel’s contract continues.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Imagine all the people who might have won the lottery if they just bought tickets every single week.

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

If Eichel is traded again within this contract’s term to any Eastern Conference team then Buffalo receives the original destination team’s unprotected 1sts for as many years as Eichel’s contract continues.

I don't know the ins and outs of the CBA but I'm guessing that is not allowed under it.

11 hours ago, Radar said:

Is it time to close this thread?

No we can't close the thread until he gets traded.

But I will say this.  I think it would be really cool for the Sabres to be beating a great NHL team (like Tampa last night) and have the trade happen without everyone being on top of it.  Fans focused on the Sabres winning the big game rather than worried about the return and all of the politics that have gone along with this situation.  Can't plan this but still would be awesome.  Surprise, the Eichel trade happened while you were enjoying the Sabres winning without him!

• Like (+1) 2