Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Botterill made so many glaring errors. His defining moment for me may have been trading a 6th round pick in one draft for a 6th in the following. It's not like it caused a lot of harm in and of itself, it was just objectively indefensible - it made no sense.

I don’t doubt this happened (because Botterill), but I can find any evidence this happened. How did this play out? Was it multiple trades?

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jason-botterill

24 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t doubt this happened (because Botterill), but I can find any evidence this happened. How did this play out? Was it multiple trades?

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/staff/jason-botterill

June 23 2018, Buffalo traded their 2018 6th to Toronto for a 2019 6th. One of the oddest trades I have ever seen.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

June 23 2018, Buffalo traded their 2018 6th to Toronto for a 2019 6th. One of the oddest trades I have ever seen.

Yup, there were no extenuating circumstances.  It was just plain weird.

In the grand scheme of things it was inconsequential, so I brushed it off fairly easily, but trading the 1st pick of the 6th round for what would surely be a late 6th the following year is pretty impressive asset mismanagement, all be it on a tiny scale.

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

In the grand scheme of things it was inconsequential, so I brushed it off fairly easily, but trading the 1st pick of the 6th round for what would surely be a late 6th the following year is pretty impressive asset mismanagement, all be it on a tiny scale.

If I'm reading this correctly, it looks like they drafted Lucas Rousek in the 6th round of the 2019 draft. He recently signed a two-year entry level deal for the 21-22 season. Will we see him in Rochester this year?

Meanwhile the Leafs drafted Pontus Holmberg with the 6th round pick they got from us and also just signed him to a 2-year deal starting this upcoming year.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Exactly. The "damage" itself was small, but the logic behind it was so objectively weird that it was somehow still a large error: large in the face of the information that would tell you to act otherwise. Largely revalatory, IMO

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

When you say something is possible you are also implying that it may not be possible. Again, you are making an assumption on what you believe something to be without a factual basis to it. 

This could go on forever...........but I don't see your point at all. It's a possibility. He wouldn't be the first disgruntled player to coast or play shall we say "less than" his ability. Are you claiming it's an impossibility? If you are, you have a lot more belief in his character than I do. 

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Sabres make the playoffs under Adams, that will negate whatever people think about an Eichel trade... assuming Eichel doesn't win a cup and earn playoff MVP.

what are the odds to something like that ever happening?

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Sabres make the playoffs under Adams, that will negate whatever people think about an Eichel trade... assuming Eichel doesn't win a cup and earn playoff MVP.

You already know dang well, the history of the Sabres, that Eichel will win a Cup if he is traded. It’s the nature of our Sabres hockey world. 

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

We have finally entered Jack Eichel photoshop territory on Twitter. Someone posted this one.

image.thumb.png.173fcd2c40a1ea1dc22093f33c054574.png

Is that one of those plastic kiddie 'Firehouse Subs' fireman's helmets perched on his dome?

• Like (+1) 1

About Eichel's recent  interview and his stated wish to play for the Bruins...this was not advisable to say while still a member of the Sabres. It's not a big deal I suppose but in context of all of his high drama over the years, this was a bridge too far. Too many Buffalo fans hate the Bruins going decades back. Some people say he wears his heart on his sleeve. I say it's too bad he has a million dollar body but a 5 cent brain. And he's still immature.  

I'm not going to place all the blame on Jack. He's just another ill-fitting piece on a badly constructed team and last I looked, the Pegulas are still incompetent in the hockey business.

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 1

Agree. This interview along with his exit interview makes my firmly believe that Jack thinks of Jack first and foremost. Yes he is extremely talented but not the type of player I build my team around. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kong said:

About Eichel's recent  interview and his stated wish to play for the Bruins...this was not advisable to say while still a member of the Sabres. It's not a big deal I suppose but in context of all of his high drama over the years, this was a bridge too far. Too many Buffalo fans hate the Bruins going decades back. Some people say he wears his heart on his sleeve. I say it's too bad he has a million dollar body but a 5 cent brain. And he's still immature.  

I'm not going to place all the blame on Jack. He's just another ill-fitting piece on a badly constructed team and last I looked, the Pegulas are still incompetent in the hockey business.

So wait, what happened? I've been absent with summer events going on. Did I hear you right? Eichel gave an interview recently where he stated he wanted to go play for the Bruins? Is that correct?

Because if so, that is a dagger to any fan fare here in Buffalo. The Bruins are one of our mortal hockey nemesis, not only diviosanally, but league wide overall. The are akin to the dastardly Empire from Star Wars.

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You already know dang well, the history of the Sabres, that Eichel will win a Cup if he is traded. It’s the nature of our Sabres hockey world. 

I'm open to trading Jack to any team if the return is fair value. But make no mistake about it that if Jack is traded to an already Cup contending team such as Vegas it will elevate a team that is already at a high elevation. The Rangers over the past few years in their rebuild have assembled a talented young roster and a deep prospect pool in their system. If you add Jack to their lineup, even with some talented young players coming back to Buffalo in the trade, they will become a serious cup contender.  

• Like (+1) 1