Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder how much Jack’s dissatisfaction is hampering efforts to re-sign Sam.

Sam’s role on the team and the relationship with his coach finishing last year and heading into next is pretty much optimal for him personally, and the Sabres can offer him a better contract than most teams.

Having his buddy constantly nattering about how he can’t wait to move out of loserville can’t be helping his thought process.

Deferring to Jack has defined Sam’s Sabres career. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised if it defines the way it ends.

Link?

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I sometimes wonder if Sam wants out of Jack's shadow. 

Like Jack, specifically? Maybe

But on a good team Reinhart will always be standing in several shadows 

43 minutes ago, Curt said:

You asked me why I personally believe that Eichel wants out of Buffalo, and proceeded to do a pretty good job of laying out the reasons that he may want out of Buffalo.

Everyone has a “breaking point”.  Between the repeated failure 6 times over, the repeated management changes, the disagreements over handling of his injury, and Kevy Adams shopping him on the trade market, I believe that Eichel has surpassed his breaking point regarding his relationship with the Sabres.

I don’t agree that it’s an impossibility that having a disgruntled captain, best player, and face of the franchise on the roster could negatively affect his own play, or the play/moral or his teammates.

To dismiss this concern as nonsense, is foolish, or even naive.

Have you never worked with someone who was not happy to be there?

Are the Green Bay Packers going to trade Aaron Rodgers because of his public campaign expressing his dissatisfaction with the organization? Do you really believe that when he returns next season his play is going to decline because of his disgruntlement? If the Packers decide to trade him it will be when it suits them and the return is in the best interest of the franchise. 

The argument that it is possible that Jack's disgruntlement will affect his play and the room also has indicates that it is not necessarily true that it will. And to the question of whether I have worked with people who are not happy the obvious answer is yes. In those situations those miserable people were explicitly told to do their jobs or assume the consequences for not doing so. 

Where I strenuously disagree with you and your like-minded posters is that there is nothing in Jack's history to suggest that he would not give a maximum effort or be disruptive, even if he wasn't totally happy with his situation. He's a fierce competitor who wants to win and a fierce competitor who finds it difficult to accept constant losing. That's an attitude that should be praised, not condemned.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

I think there is a big difference between disgruntled co-worker and a disgruntled captain of a team loaded with impressionable youngsters.

And while I agree Jack would still compete hard on and off the ice, his personality does not strike me as being made for quiet professionalism. I think his dissatisfaction would be manifested regularly in multiple ways. It’s not an either-or situation.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I sometimes wonder if Sam wants out of Jack's shadow. 

I watched Sam's end of season interview again and it seemed pretty clear in that interview he wants out.  It's unfortunate.  I do think he really liked playing with Jack because they both think the game at a high level.  I've always thought Reinhart has the best hockey sense on the team.  He will be missed if he's traded.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Digger said:

I watched Sam's end of season interview again and it seemed pretty clear in that interview he wants out.  It's unfortunate.  I do think he really liked playing with Jack because they both think the game at a high level.  I've always thought Reinhart has the best hockey sense on the team.  He will be missed if he's traded.

Idk if I got that impression to be honest. 

I get the feeling that Columbus and Seth Jones is going to play a role in a 3 team deal for Jack and perhaps Sam.

Chicago seems to be going after Seth Jones pretty hard right now after picking up his brother from Edmonton. 

How about:

Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen to Columbus

Columbus sends Reinhart and Seth Jones to Chicago.  Chicago works out extensions for both players.

Chicago sends back Kirby Dach, Lucas Reichel, Ian Mitchell, Calvin DeHaan, and 1st (12OA) to Columbus

Columbus sends Kirby Dach, Lucas Reichel, Ian Mitchell, Merlikins, Texier, Columbus's 1st Round pick (5OA), Chicago's 1st Round pick (12OA) to Buffalo 

Columbus ends up with Eichel, Ristolainen, Calvin DeHaan.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Are the Green Bay Packers going to trade Aaron Rodgers because of his public campaign expressing his dissatisfaction with the organization? Do you really believe that when he returns next season his play is going to decline because of his disgruntlement? If the Packers decide to trade him it will be when it suits them and the return is in the best interest of the franchise. 

The argument that it is possible that Jack's disgruntlement will affect his play and the room also has indicates that it is not necessarily true that it will. And to the question of whether I have worked with people who are not happy the obvious answer is yes. In those situations those miserable people were explicitly told to do their jobs or assume the consequences for not doing so. 

Where I strenuously disagree with you and your like-minded posters is that there is nothing in Jack's history to suggest that he would not give a maximum effort or be disruptive, even if he wasn't totally happy with his situation. He's a fierce competitor who wants to win and a fierce competitor who finds it difficult to accept constant losing. That's an attitude that should be praised, not condemned.  

I don’t know about Aaron Rodgers.

I’m not trying to tell you that Eichel is going to dog it or act like a total jerk.  He loves playing hockey and he will probably do his best.  However, when someone is in a situation/job that they seriously don’t want to be in, it affects them.  It affects the level of enthusiasm they are able to muster up, and it’s usually noticed by and affects those around them.  Even if Eichel isn’t actively trying to be a problem, his unhappiness will show.  They guys are human just like everyone else.

On top of that, it’s not just Eichel being unhappy, the team is actively trying to trade him.  The other players all know that.  Next season Eichel is going to be like a dead man walking in the locker room.  All the other guys will look at their captain and know that he is probably gone soon.  It takes away from everyone having the feeling that they are all in it together and in the moment.  All the talk will be about Eichel and when is he going to get traded.  It will be a distraction, even if Eichel is doing his best.  

That’s my view on it.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Within the day, the week or the month?

Hours, like I have sat in the spot I am sitting and saw trade news. Again, I am almost 100% likely to be wrong and maybe I'll be sitting down here next week but it was just a strange feeling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Hours, like I have sat in the spot I am sitting and saw trade news. Again, I am almost 100% likely to be wrong and maybe I'll be sitting down here next week but it was just a strange feeling. 

Just a little glitch while the Matrix was running an update.

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Digger said:

I get the feeling that Columbus and Seth Jones is going to play a role in a 3 team deal for Jack and perhaps Sam.

Chicago seems to be going after Seth Jones pretty hard right now after picking up his brother from Edmonton. 

How about:

Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen to Columbus

Columbus sends Reinhart and Seth Jones to Chicago.  Chicago works out extensions for both players.

Chicago sends back Kirby Dach, Lucas Reichel, Ian Mitchell, Calvin DeHaan, and 1st (12OA) to Columbus

Columbus sends Kirby Dach, Lucas Reichel, Ian Mitchell, Merlikins, Texier, Columbus's 1st Round pick (5OA), Chicago's 1st Round pick (12OA) to Buffalo 

Columbus ends up with Eichel, Ristolainen, Calvin DeHaan.  

Imagine Bettman trying to announce and explain this at the draft podium.🤪

• Like (+1) 1

I watched part of this video from New York Rangers fans.  Total trash saying they believe the Rangers are in the lead for Eichel and won't need to give up any A+ prospects.

I wasn't sure if I should post it because it is a triggering video.  Maybe give them some comments and thumbs down as Sabres supporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdNDrg_uUk

31 minutes ago, Derrico said:

How long until the roster freeze again?  If a trade is happening before the expansion draft are we thinking today/tomorrow type of thing?

All dates and times covering up to UFA on July 28th. 

• Haha (+1) 2