Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Agreed. That offer is probably good if you switch in Krebs and ideally add a first. I don’t need Chandler Stephenson in the deal.

I kind of like the idea of a vet centre for insulating Cozens and Casey 

What’s the deal you are proposing, Tuch, Krebs, 1st rd pick, Hague? 

Seems low 

Edited by Thorny

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

With apologies to Hoss, from David Pagnotta 

Okay, hear me out: Would the Vegas Golden Knights package up Alex Tuch, Chandler Stephenson, Cody Glass and Nic Hague in a deal for Jack Eichel? Would the Buffalo Sabres say no? The Sabres have drops crumbs and the Knights are sniffing around. Curious if it gets anywhere.

Speaking of curiosity, I’m intrigued to see if the Columbus Blue Jackets step up with a big offer for Eichel and use the fifth-overall pick as a major piece in a package. They’ve had talks, and I don’t believe it’s gotten overly serious just yet, but a 24-year-old star centre is exactly what Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen would love to get his hands on, even if he has to overpay. Hmm.

I would need Krebs over Glass 

Two middle six players (and I like Tuch) and two B prospects is straying into ROR territory.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I’m not in the negotiating business, but I would think a proper strategy would be to get Bob Murray invested enough in the process that he has become committed to the idea of acquiring Eichel, then using the bolded as a pinch point to lever maximum return.

If Anaheim picks the player preferred by KA, there's no reason the trade can't happen after the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

How does this era look in terms of the common practice of GMs looking to bail on their star players? 

This is *GM* initiated 

Why are we pretending Jack asked out when he has not

This is semantics at this point, no? Asked for or not, he wants out

• Like (+1) 3

Two middle six players (and I like Tuch) and two B prospects is straying into ROR territory.

What about 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I kind of like the idea of a vet centre for insulating Cozens and Casey 

What’s the deal you are proposing, Tuch, Krebs, 1st rd pick, Hague? 

Seems low 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

If Anaheim picks the player preferred by KA, there's no reason the trade can't happen after the draft.

People say this but I honestly can’t remember the last time we saw this happen in the nhl 

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I suppose, but that doesn’t change my point.

Murray doesn’t know who the Sabres want and risks blowing his opportunity if he picks someone he doesn’t like.

• Like (+1) 1

This is semantics at this point, no? Asked for or not, he wants out

No, I don’t think in this case it would be semantics. Because the context was a negative light cast on Jack Eichel, a “player of today” wanting out instead of wanting to stick it out. 

I don’t think it can be reasonably categorized as semantics because holding Jack to that standard under the scenario where KA started the process first would be kind of weird, no? 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

People say this but I honestly can’t remember the last time we saw this happen in the nhl 

Just saying it doesn't necessarily eliminate Anaheim. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Murray doesn’t know who the Sabres want and risks blowing his opportunity if he picks someone he doesn’t like.

Fair point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What about…

The adds are pretty strong. 

I’d file Krebs/Tuch as comparable to 3OA/Comtois and Turcotte/8OA, with LA’s being the least interesting.

Tuch and Comtois are very similar (I like Comtois better age-wise) and I am very high on Krebs. Not as high as I am on Eklund or Beniers, so it depends on who’s at 3.

So it’s another inadequate return but something we should be preparing ourselves for.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, I don’t think in this case it would be semantics. Because the context was a negative light cast on Jack Eichel, a “player of today” wanting out instead of wanting to stick it out. 

I don’t think it can be reasonably categorized as semantics because holding Jack to that standard under the scenario where KA started the process first would be kind of weird, no? 

Gotcha. Your context is judging Jack.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d file Krebs/Tuch as comparable to 3OA/Comtois and Turcotte/8OA, with LA’s being the least interesting.

Tuch and Comtois are very similar (I like Comtois better age-wise) and I am very high on Krebs. Not as high as I am on Eklund or Beniers, so it depends on who’s at 3.

So it’s another inadequate return but something we should be preparing ourselves for.

I would put a package from Minnesota starting with Rossi/Boldy right up there as well

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yup, with KA right now holding to see if/which team budges first and tables a Zegras or Byfield (or Newhook, please). Vegas probably doesn’t have the ability to control their own destiny here, at least not yet 

I don’t think they have an offer KA takes upon receipt 

Edited by Thorny

21 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, too bad about that binding contract he signed and all...

Can we stop talking about contracts like they matter? They legitimately don’t and that’s been proven time and time again.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

From Friedman’s 31 Thoughts 

10. There were rumours Jack Eichelbacked away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery. 

Tough to read the Kings on this one. The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access. That’s a little different than St. Louis, which has indicated it will make Vladimir Tarasenko’s available.

Only one of those teams really has a deal that needs to be done before the draft and that’s Anaheim as 3OA would probably be the centerpiece of the return.

My apologies if this video was already posted (but I did not see it if it was).  There's a YouTube video on Jack Eichel's potential surgery options that I saw and found interesting.  

While the doctor does not know anything about the specifics of Eichel's injury or situation he does offer an opinion that a fusion or Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion (ACDF) would be the best surgical operation rather than a cervical disc replacement (as suggested by Eichel's side).  Peyton Manning had the ACDF and recovered to play again.  The doctor goes on to say that he would be really worried about anyone in a contact sport (like hockey or football) going through a cervical disc replacement surgery because of the amount of contact and potential to dislodge.

Jack Eichel's Spine, pt. 2

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The Bills had done most of their rebuild before Josh arrived. Now they're tinkering to perfect the formula.  Jack came into an empty lot where there was a house fire and the house had just been torn down.

I wouldn’t say that’s true re: Josh and the Bills. Nearly their entire offense needed to be replaced after Josh came in, and a good chunk of their defense. Josh’s supporting cast on offense his first year was horrendous.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Can we stop talking about contracts like they matter? They legitimately don’t and that’s been proven time and time again.

I believe we have entered a new age in sports where players are starting to have the power. Young superstars are not going to stay with organizations that cannot find a way to win. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe we have entered a new age in sports where players are starting to have the power. Young superstars are not going to stay with organizations that cannot find a way to win. 

Players have had the power and have flexed it for awhile. The difference is that it is no longer bad for them to be vocal about it.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Agreed, and it’s a shame really. What’s even more perplexing is that there are those here who see nothing wrong with it. There was a time when breaking one’s own word was seen as a negative, particularly a written contract. If these players want to have a Walt Disney chase your dreams/ YOLO attitude, then they shouldn’t be signing 10 year contracts. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I’m completely fine with this. But, in order for this to happen, contracts cannot be guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

They may not matter to players, but they sure as heck matter to teams, who are the ones getting stuck paying them. If owners took the attitude that contracts don’t matter and aren’t guaranteed, then I’m sure the players would immediately start thinking they indeed do matter. 

• Like (+1) 1