Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Huge difference. Thompson, late 1st, Sobotka and Berglund was hot garbage the second it was made. That collection as never going to supersede ROR.

Zegras and 3 OA are top end pieces that could easily turn out to be more effective to the Sabres then Eichel. Zegras+Beniers or Zegras+Guenther or Zegras+Eklund could be driving this team 3 years from now.

baby babies GIF by HuffPost

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Zegras might be the best passer outside the NHL. He plays a much different style, but projects to be similar level of prospect to Cozens.

He remains a candidate for the wing.

God, I hope we don’t ***** up Dylan Cozens.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Scott Gomez in his prime comes to mind.

That’s a very good comparable, both stylistically and stature.

He might be better than Gomez and he might not. He is not an Eichel-level prospect.

Which brings up another important point: there is not a prospect out there with a ceiling that equals what Jack already is, and Jack is only 24; he’s just entered his prime.

If I am comfortable with the neck and I can make the cap work, there isn’t a prospect in the league I wouldn’t put on the table for Eichel. I think fans that are drawing lines in the sand over their top prospects - including Byfield and Lafreniere - are stupid.

Edited by dudacek

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s a very good comparable, both stylistically and stature.

He might be better than Gomez and he might not. He is not an Eichel-level prospect.

Which brings up another important point: there is not a prospect out there with a ceiling that equals what Jack already is, and Jack is only 24; he’s just entered his prime.

If I am comfortable with the neck and I can make the cap work, there isn’t a prospect in the league I wouldn’t put on the table for Eichel. I think fans that are drawing lines in the sand over their top prospects - including Byfield and Lafreniere - are stupid.

I fully believed at the time and still do today that the Jack Eichel I last watched healthy, before this hellish mockery of an nhl season, could have lifted this franchise's first cup had this franchise not done everything else wrong in the last 6 years. But we are too far down this road now and both need a reset.

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

How good will Zegras be? Can he be a #1 C or #2C? Any current players talent and style-wise he can be compared to? 

I’m going to agree with others that he can be a 2C and maybe a 1C on a scoring line.

He is 6’0” but on the thin side.  Not small but more of a finesse player.  Stylistically, Marner and Barzal came to mind.  Someone said Scott Gomez and that’s not bad either.  A natural playmaker and set up guy.  He is full of fancy stick handling and passing moves that have style in addition to substance.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m going to agree with others that he can be a 2C and maybe a 1C on a scoring line.

He is 6’0” but on the thin side.  Not small but more of a finesse player.  Stylistically, Marner and Barzal came to mind.  Someone said Scott Gomez and that’s not bad either.  A natural playmaker and set up guy.  He is full of fancy stick handling and passing moves that have style in addition to substance.

I liked the Barzal comp. And I know it's annoying to constantly reference the 05-07 Sabres, but I see a bit of Briere there too

35 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I liked the Barzal comp. And I know it's annoying to constantly reference the 05-07 Sabres, but I see a bit of Briere there too

I'll take an injury free Tim Connolly. That'd be nice.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think fans that are drawing lines in the sand over their top prospects - including Byfield and Lafreniere - are stupid.

What if the objection is to taking on a top-tier salary, and a preference to build a roster with more balance?

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Other than high draft choices I don't know what they would have to offer to compete with other trading contenders. 

Would change the timetable of a trade to after the expansion draft.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Would change the timetable of a trade to after the expansion draft.

After the expansion draft what valuable assets would they have in their system that would be appealing to us? It seems to me that other franchises have players on their rosters and high-end prospects in their systems that Seattle at this stage of their existence couldn't come close to matching. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

What if the objection is to taking on a top-tier salary, and a preference to build a roster with more balance?

I did post with the caveat of making the cap work.

I realize your point is in vogue right now with the Leafs and the Oilers falling by the wayside, but Mark Stone and Nikita Kucherov each make $9.5 million. You  don't see Vegas balking when Pacioretty, Stone and Pietrangelo come on the market.

Nearly every team that wins a Stanley Cup does so because of elite players, and elite players cost a lot of money. Jack is an elite player.

Smart organizations find ways to add elite players, not reasons not to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I did post with the caveat of making the cap work.

I realize your point is in vogue right now with the Leafs and the Oilers falling by the wayside, but Mark Stone and Nikita Kucherov each make $9.5 million. You  don't see Vegas balking when Pacioretty, Stone and Pietrangelo come on the market.

Nearly every team that wins a Stanley Cup does so because of elite players, and elite players cost a lot of money. Jack is an elite player.

Smart organizations find ways to add elite players, not reasons not to.

Agreed. Buffalo tends to add complimentary players or over the hill veterans expecting impact. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

After the expansion draft what valuable assets would they have in their system that would be appealing to us? It seems to me that other franchises have players on their rosters and high-end prospects in their systems that Seattle at this stage of their existence couldn't come close to matching. 

What assets did Vegas have after their draft?

2 hours ago, jahnyc said:

What if Ron Francis offered to take Skinner, assuming that the Sabres could get Skinner to waive his no trade?

If Skinner ends up being part of an Eichel trade (which would decrease the value we receive in return), we can all assume Terry was driving this transaction. I can’t think of any other major reason to shed $19M in salary.