GDT 3/22/21 Sabres at NY Rangers 7pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

Interesting and perhaps predictable that the worst Sabres included Risto, Reinhart, Olofsson and Hall. Staal, definitely predictably, joined them. Skinner, also predictably, played like he was having fun again.

Mittelstadt, Cozens (what the hell happened to him in the second?) and Bryson showed flashes of good and bad. Get used to seeing that a lot down the stretch.

The fact that a 31-year-old who has played two games in a year, and hadn't played an NHL game since 2016, let in four and still had the best Sabres goalie performance by a guy not named Linus all year tells you all you need to know about Carter and JJ.

There was a play in the first, where you could see all 5 Rags in the near corner battling for the puck against 2 Sabres.

You could not see the other three Sabres in the frame.

Where the ***** were they?

Who coaches that?

It's going to take more than 7 days to wash the old man stink out of this team.

• Like (+1) 4

That was a strange game.  The Sabres looked like 4 or 5 different teams at different points in the game.

There was some good stuff going on in that game, too.  Nice to see us come back to tie a game with a 2 point deficit, for example. 

But as a rule, it's a mess everywhere  and my God we have a long way to go.

I thought Tokarski did a great job all things being equal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Sabres have a lot of work to do but they certainly looked better than their other losses during this streak. They had a bit more fight in them.

I can't wait for Hall and Staal to be traded for some good assets, hopefully, however. 

We can't forget, though, that we did play the Rangers tonight.

That team is terrible.

They showed more backbone then they have showed all season.  They are also working harder and having some fun.  I’ve seen attempts to go the net that are working and more active D. At least it wasn’t mind numbing to watch and they made an effort. Baby steps.

I’ve been so disgusted all season, but I’m starting to see light rays of hope.  Cozens and Mitts look like players with a bright future.  Each shows little plays that illustrate their talent.  I even saw Mitts win a puck battle along the wall and feather a beautiful pass once he gathered the puck.  I also like what I’ve seen from Bryson.  Skinner looks reborn with Lazar and Mitts.   

Tonight they got closer to being a decent team then we have seen in months.  The bad still out ways the good, but it’s a start.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

We can't forget, though, that we did play the Rangers tonight.

That team is terrible.

The Rangers appear to be playing much better with the Hartford Wolves coaching staff behind the bench and the Quinn and his crew out with COVID.

And Panarin is back, so I think that helps them as well.

But, the Sabres still lack the talent to challenge teams.  The defense remains soft and the team lacks speed.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting and perhaps predictable that the worst Sabres included Risto, Reinhart, Olofsson and Hall. Staal, definitely predictably, joined them. Skinner, also predictably, played like he was having fun again.

Mittelstadt, Cozens (what the hell happened to him in the second?) and Bryson showed flashes of good and bad. Get used to seeing that a lot down the stretch.

The fact that a 31-year-old who has played two games in a year, and hadn't played an NHL game since 2016, let in four and still had the best Sabres goalie performance by a guy not named Linus all year tells you all you need to know about Carter and JJ.

Nothing on Eakin?  He may be taking the title of worst NHL forward from Sobotka.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Nothing on Eakin?  He may be taking the title of worst NHL forward from Sobotka.  

He is very Sobotka, isn't he? Just has to pass the puck into the corner a few times when he has it in the slot and he'll get there.

21 minutes ago, Eleven said:

1.  Duff shut down Marty while Marty was talking.  

2.  I typed on my phone.

1. isn't really breaking news. Brian loves the sound of his own voice. I've seen it too many times to count: Marty starts talking, Duffer looks dead into the camera and smiles (creepily) before turning back to Marty with his mouth already agape waiting for a chance to cut him off.

His role should be more like Brian Blessing to Roby. Duff and Biron are not a good match. Marty's just way too nice to let on that anything bothers him. The jabs at Marty's English (which is excellent) or pointing out the smallest of factual errors would be enough for me.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

1. isn't really breaking news. Brian loves the sound of his own voice. I've seen it too many times to count: Marty starts talking, Duffer looks dead into the camera and smiles (creepily) before turning back to Marty with his mouth already agape waiting for a chance to cut him off.

His role should be more like Brian Blessing to Roby. Duff and Biron are not a good match. Marty's just way too nice to let on that anything bothers him. The jabs at Marty's English (which is excellent) or pointing out the smallest of factual errors would be enough for me.

It may be just the first time I noticed it, since I rarely watch post-game shows now that Roby is gone.  But when I do, it's to hear Martin Biron and NOT BRIAN DUFF!  

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not fair, but it's how goalies are evaluated. Name a goalie with a 4.00 GAA who stuck around.

Grant Fuhr had a couple of those seasons, but it was a very different era.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.