Buffalo Bills: 2020-2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

Did you just...completely ignore my post above yours? Based on the quality of opponents, the stats don't support that argument.

Just providing a different point of view.  While D rankings are interesting, they don't tell the entire story.  Injuries, field position, special teams all play apart in the D effectiveness.  Look how different the Bills are now that they are healthy on D.  Milano and a healthy Edmunds turned a mediocre D back into a top D.  However what are our rankings?  Middle of the pack? 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just providing a different point of view.  While D rankings are interesting, they don't tell the entire story.  Injuries, field position, special teams all play apart in the D effectiveness.  Look how different the Bills are now that they are healthy on D.  Milano and a healthy Edmunds turned a mediocre D back into a top D.  However what are our rankings?  Middle of the pack? 

First, DVOA accounts for opponents.  Second, how does looking at a team's record make for a more complete story? Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Did everyone fall asleep? 

While am glad to see that fans will be allowed into the stadium, if the purpose of the ban on fans attending was for safety reasons, what makes a playoff game safer/ different than a regular season game?  Or, conversely, how is attending a RS game inherently more dangerous?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

While am glad to see that fans will be allowed into the stadium, if the purpose of the ban on fans attending was for safety reasons, what makes a playoff game safer/ different than a regular season game?  Or, conversely, how is attending a RS game inherently more dangerous?

I don’t think it’s that simple. There’s some temporal convergence here of science, public policy, and political theatre.

On 12/29/2020 at 1:51 PM, carpandean said:

Using Net Expected Points per Drop Back:

Bills-Packers-NEPperDB.thumb.jpg.ba3c433291b28dbbc7bb8b416a3b3f06.jpg

Bills' average rating for opponent is about what the 7th-best defense put up, while the Packers' average rating for opponents is about what the 22nd best team put up.

We have the rams twice for this list, instead of the chargers once.

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Watching that Bills - Patriots game was surreal for me.  So, I imagine that's what it's been like to watch a Bills - Patriots game as a Patriots fan for the last 20 ***** years.  I like this side of it much better!

The 31-0 home opener in ‘03 is the first game I vividly remember. That’s when I really got hooked on watching the Bills with my dad. 
We all waited a very long time for another win like that! And I have a good feeling that this dominance has a bit more staying power 😉

3 minutes ago, EichSnipe said:

The 31-0 home opener in ‘03 is the first game I vividly remember. That’s when I really got hooked on watching the Bills with my dad. 
We all waited a very long time for another win like that! And I have a good feeling that this dominance has a bit more staying power 😉

I remember that game for posting on the Buffalo Bills message board a prediction that Sam Adams would get the teams first interception of the season. 

Probably the biggest mic drop of my life. 😂

6 hours ago, drnkirishone said:

Best not to talk about it....

Ha. Right. I am saying, though, that there are relevant (and legitimate) differences between Week 17 and the first round of the playoffs, both in terms of when those games are occurring (one's a week after the other (so, a little more planning time)) and how important the games are to the fans.

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

We have the rams twice for this list, instead of the chargers once.

Good catch.  ESPN just has "Los Angeles" with little team logos.  My bad.  Here's the adjusted table.  Bills still faced harder pass defenses (left), but they also faced harder run defenses (right), at least on average:

.Bills-Packers-NEPperDB-passing.thumb.jpg.695ed31893851d75eb36c2cc69f8f93f.jpgBills-Packers-NEPperDB-rushing.thumb.jpg.41e80fd4b225f7d88a07ac94f842acff.jpg

In addition to having more yards passing, Allen has 3x as many rushing yards, and his 8:4 TD's:fumbles ratio is better than Rodger's 3:3.  Certainly, Allen should at least be in all of the Rodgers vs Mahomes MVP headlines.

8 hours ago, carpandean said:

Good catch.  ESPN just has "Los Angeles" with little team logos.  My bad.  Here's the adjusted table.  Bills still faced harder pass defenses (left), but they also faced harder run defenses (right), at least on average:

.Bills-Packers-NEPperDB-passing.thumb.jpg.695ed31893851d75eb36c2cc69f8f93f.jpgBills-Packers-NEPperDB-rushing.thumb.jpg.41e80fd4b225f7d88a07ac94f842acff.jpg

In addition to having more yards passing, Allen has 3x as many rushing yards, and his 8:4 TD's:fumbles ratio is better than Rodger's 3:3.  Certainly, Allen should at least be in all of the Rodgers vs Mahomes MVP headlines.

Where exactly is “Los Vegas?”

3 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Where exactly is “Los Vegas?”

Yeesh, remind me to never do stats when I'm in a hurry.  Tweaks the numbers slightly, but the point still holds: Josh has put up better passing and rushing numbers, despite having faced better defenses.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Bills TE Kroft tested positive for covid-19, will not play today or next week.

At least this time they didn't lose all their other TEs.  The Saints are RB-less today.  (Presumably somebody from their PS will get elevated, but the crawl said ALL the RBs were out along with Kamera.)

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was in Costco with my Bills hat on today.  Saw a guy with a Chiefs hat (this is in Texas, btw).  I nodded to him and said, "See you in the AFC Championship."  He smiled and said, "Hope so!"

If the AFC Championship game was played today ...

Bills win.

Right now the Bills are playing better than the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.