T'is the season.... December predictions

steveoath

14 games this month. Are we going to break .500? Pessimistically I can see 5 wins. If we build up a head of steam then perhaps we get to seven or beyond. Thoughts?

Dec. 2 New Jersey 7:00 WIN!

Dec. 5 at Calgary 9:00 LOSS

Dec. 7 at Vancouver 4:00 OT LOSS

Dec. 8 at Edmonton 8:00 OT WIN

Dec. 10 St. Louis 7:00 WIN

Dec. 12 Nashville 7:00 WIN 

Dec. 14 at NY Islanders 1:00 OT LOSS

Dec. 17 at Toronto 7:00 LOSS

Dec. 19 at Philadelphia 7:00 LOSS

Dec. 21 Los Angeles 1:00 WIN

Dec. 23 at Ottawa 7:30 LOSS

Dec. 27 Boston 7:00 LOSS

Dec. 29 at Boston 7:00 LOSS

Dec. 31 Tampa Bay 7:00

Edited by steveoath

No prediction on the won-loss record for the month, but this will be the month that tells us what we really have.  Teams are playing for the standings now.  The push for the playoffs is starting.  This stretch is going to be the real deal.

• Like (+1) 3

They have actually been playing better hockey for the last 5-6 games.

You could say the difference has been a matter of special teams and some puck luck.

If you continue to work hard and play as 5 man unit, I do believe you make your own luck and can be in every game, giving yourself a chance to win every night. (.500 hockey)

If the special teams comes around as RK has also been saying that can push that % to .600-.700 hockey.

I would even consider a consistent hard working Islanders style of play night in and night out an improvement and definitely keep it interesting hockey into the new year.    

So after saying all that I would like at least .500 hockey to keep me involved in watching.  

• Like (+1) 4

I said in the midst of the streak "we're not going back." Of course we did. But not all the way back, and I see the team rebounding now. This is a good hockey team. I see a good old-fashioned hot streak during the holidays. Monday will be a true indication. If there's any kind of letdown or clunker, I'll already have egg on my face.

Also, I'm an idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

Too much talent there for the PP not to wake up and that will lead to a small hot streak that will push us just over Deluca 500 for the month.

Agree with this being a bit of a fork in the road part of the schedule, but the past week or two is showing me Ralph has been able to keep them from falling into the emotional collapse that killed last season.

We’ll need Mojo to be healthy and some bursts from the likes of Mitts, Sheary and Vesey though because Jack can’t keep this up.

Ultimately it will be depth scoring and goaltending that spoils the year for us, but the culture is shifting and the talent level is improved enough that we can make January matter.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

Too much talent there for the PP not to wake up and that will lead to a small hot streak that will push us just over Deluca 500 for the month.

Agree with this being a bit of a fork in the road part of the schedule, but the past week or two is showing me Ralph has been able to keep them from falling into the emotional collapse that killed last season.

We’ll need Mojo to be healthy and some bursts from the likes of Mitts, Sheary and Vesey though because Jack can’t keep this up.

Ultimately it will be depth scoring and goaltending that spoils the year for us, but the culture is shifting and the talent level is improved enough that we can make January matter.

I think we still have a ways to go before we can be sure of this. IMO they went from early December to mid February of last season putting out games like we've seen since early November this season, before collapsing emotionally

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think we still have a ways to go before we can be sure of this. IMO they went from early December to mid February of last season putting out games like we've seen since early November this season, before collapsing emotionally

Agreed.

The team is showing signs, but it will take this month to prove it.

This is a marathon and we’re not even 10 miles in. Still hills to climb, and flats to take advantage of.

Edited by dudacek

16 hours ago, steveoath said:

14 games this month. Are we going to break .500? Pessimistically I can see 5 wins. If we build up a head of steam then perhaps we get to seven or beyond. Thoughts?

Dec. 2 New Jersey 7:00W

Dec. 5 at Calgary 9:00W

Dec. 7 at Vancouver 4:00W

Dec. 8 at Edmonton 8:00L

Dec. 10 St. Louis 7:00L

Dec. 12 Nashville 7:00L

Dec. 14 at NY Islanders 1:00L

Dec. 17 at Toronto 7:00W

Dec. 19 at Philadelphia 7:00W

Dec. 21 Los Angeles 1:00W

Dec. 23 at Ottawa 7:30W

Dec. 27 Boston 7:00L

Dec. 29 at Boston 7:00L

Dec. 31 Tampa Bay 7:00L

A roller coaster that ends up 7-7

On 12/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, dudacek said:

Make January matter? Let's aim higher. This team should at least be in the hunt into March. 

On 12/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, Randall Flagg said:

The Sabres aren't making another trade until August 2021

You better be joking, or wrong ?

It's still exactly what we need right about now if the GM can figure something out. Team deserves it. 

- - - 

The depth scoring doesn't necessarily have to spoil it for us. Heck, if it's improved a bit, we might fight for a playoff spot. Who doesn't want to see this Jack Eichel have a shot at taking over playoff games?

Edited by Thorny

9 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’d be willing to wager on that. I’ll take before the trade freeze before Christmas, you got everything else. $100 tip to some random waiter/waitress that looks like they need.

I definitely think the Sabres are going to make a trade sometime in the next year and a half haha, that post was just sarcasm

Also I simply cannot afford to make that bet right now. But I hope you're right! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.