Will any Sabres take a huge step forward?

Hoss

Looking around the league at this most recent season so many guys made huge leaps forward.

So the question is simple: do you think anybody does it for Buffalo? It could be Eichel or it could be someone like Rodrigues, but it has to be a BIG leap.

Some examples from last season:

Taylor Hall from 20-33-53 to 39-54-93 and a Hart trophy

Nathan MacKinnon from 16-37-53 to 39-58-97

Mikko Rantanen from a 38-point rookie year to an 84-point season

Claude Giroux from 14-44-58 to 34-68-102

Blake Wheeler from 78-point career high to 91 points

Mat Barzal comes from out of nowhere for 22-63-85 (for the record I raved about him in his draft year - should've been third overall)

Wild Bill William Karlsson blew up for 43-35-78 and some NHL awards in Vegas

The Sabres are going to get close to 20 goals this year from an unexpected source.

There is a wide-open spot just waiting to be claimed alongside Jack. One of Thompson, Nylander, Olofsson, Bailey, Baptiste or Rodrigues will take advantage.

We have a ton of candidates. Erod, Thompson, Sheary, Reinhart, and Eichel top my list.  However my favorites are Erod and Reinhart.

Erod went 4g & 2a in 30 games in 2016/17 to 7g, 18a in 48 games in 2017/18.  In other terms he went from .2 pts/gp to .52 pts/pg.  Now if he gets a permanent assignment with either Jack or Casey, I think he could jump to .75.  This would mesn he’d go from 6 pts to 25 to 60 over 3 seasons.

Reinhart’s second half was a Jack like nearly a pt per game.  He continues that he’ll score 75+ next season.  

One other note.  What out for Sheary.  He had 53 pts playing with Sid, he could match that with Jack.

It's conceivable that McCabe is paired with Dahlin (especially if Bogosian isn't healthy and they keep Dahlin on the right side, despite his left shot).

If that's the case, I could see McCabe's physical closer-to-home style meshing extremely well with the offensive-oriented game that we expect from Dahlin.  I don't know if McCabe would blow up the points stats, but he wouldn't need to; he'd just have to provide excellent support to his partner.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Tondas said:

I'm going with Casey Nelson.  He went from a throw in to a regular in one season.  If he keeps a similar trajectory, I see him being on the second pair RD by seasons end.

If Dahlin plays on the left, Nelson likely starts the regular season as our #2 RHD on the depth chart, with Bogo's inevitable injury. 

I still think Botterill needs to make a move for another RHD. 

5 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It's conceivable that McCabe is paired with Dahlin (especially if Bogosian isn't healthy and they keep Dahlin on the right side, despite his left shot).

If that's the case, I could see McCabe's physical closer-to-home style meshing extremely well with the offensive-oriented game that we expect from Dahlin.  I don't know if McCabe would blow up the points stats, but he wouldn't need to; he'd just have to provide excellent support to his partner.

Poor Rasmus.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

If Dahlin plays on the left, Nelson likely starts the regular season as our #2 RHD on the depth chart, with Bogo's inevitable injury. 

I still think Botterill needs to make a move for another RHD. 

He should, but I don't think he will. For better or worse (see: it'll be worse), I think the team believes in Bogo.

Edit: On topic, I think the answer is Mittelstadt. It's weird to say seeing as he doesn't really have anywhere to jump from, but I think he has a Keller-like rookie season.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

9 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I wouldn't even think Bogosian has done serious work on the ice since we last saw him in January. Wasn't the recovery time on his surgery (which happened "next week" according to TBN January 26th, so in February basically) 4-6 months?

#2 RHD on the depth chart. 

Drink it in. 

Well I know this question was intended for the younger guys but I'll start with looking for a bounce back year from Okposo and for a surprise I am going with the new kid Tage Thompson as someone getting bigger minutes and being good for 40-50 points (15-22 goals, 20-28 assists)     

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.