Will any Sabres take a huge step forward?

Hoss

23 hours ago, R_Dudley said:

Well I know this question was intended for the younger guys but I'll start with looking for a bounce back year from Okposo and for a surprise I am going with the new kid Tage Thompson as someone getting bigger minutes and being good for 40-50 points (15-22 goals, 20-28 assists)     

I think Duds has it right.

I also think we'll have two Calder candidates but I'm not sure you can call them "huge steps forward" for them personally from the standpoint that no baseline for their performance at the NHL level has been established, so as long as they look about right for their projected roles you could say they stepped forward or, depending on what you project for them, that they failed to meet expectations.  Without a baseline, how do you know?  Hopefully they will provide huge steps forward for the team as a whole.

I'm making my prediction right now- it will be Nylander. He'll have a shot on the big club, and he'll show an ability to get into soft spots and put the puck in the net. He won't drive possession, so may need to be "sheltered"  or play with strong possession line-mates, but he'll be smart with the puck and will show an ability to finish at the NHL level.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'm making my prediction right now- it will be Nylander. He'll have a shot on the big club, and he'll show an ability to get into soft spots and put the puck in the net. He won't drive possession, so may need to be "sheltered"  or play with strong possession line-mates, but he'll be smart with the puck and will show an ability to finish at the NHL level.

I agree with this. Done ok when called up for the last few games. Does he need to be in buffalo now. I reckon so.  Hope he has a good camp and is kept up. 

8 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'm not predicting this at all but can you imagine what that would mean to this franchise?  Adding mitts and Dahlin is already huge but a turnaround for Nylander to come close to his potential would speed this rebuild up.  He is the exact position this team needs upgrading the most.  Still not holding my breath tho.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:02 AM, dudacek said:

The Sabres are going to get close to 20 goals this year from an unexpected source.

There is a wide-open spot just waiting to be claimed alongside Jack. One of Thompson, Nylander, Olofsson, Bailey, Baptiste or Rodrigues will take advantage.

The more I think about it the more Id like to see 2-3 of these guys step up plus Dhalin and Middlestadt, now that would be the makings of a team!

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't see Nylander taking a big step. There is a motivation issue there. 

I don’t see Nylander as lacking in motivation. Everything I read seems to indicate he works hard in practice and in his off-ice training and listens to the coaches. His problem is assertiveness on the ice. He plays on the periphery and waits for the game to come to him.

I also suspect there’s a ton of anxiety there, given the success of dad and brother, and the suggestion that dad is a hockey dad in the negative sense of the word. Kid needs to relax and have some fun playing the game.

Edited by dudacek

He's also just coming off a year under Cal and his alleged neglect. I know when I student taught under a neglectful, abusive supervisor, I was completely demoralized and overthinking, and it took forever to get back the confidence I needed to do the job right, even after working under several later, and more competent, mentors. Sometimes brain spiders just don't go away at the drop of a hat.

I actually think there could be several guys who take steps forward due to increased roles and just a better atmosphere around the locker room.

Okposo before his injury was one of those guys that looked like he was always having fun and a good teammate. I see him playing on Mitts right side and getting 20 goals and 30 assist this year.

ERod I believe will eventually get a chance to play with Eichel and his creativity with Reinharts vision and Jacks finish could be potent.  I look for ERod to have a break out year like Point or Gourde did for Tampa.

AHL guys will get their opportunity and if they give us anything it will be an improvement over what we got from the bottom six last year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:00 AM, Derrico said:

I'm not predicting this at all but can you imagine what that would mean to this franchise?  Adding mitts and Dahlin is already huge but a turnaround for Nylander to come close to his potential would speed this rebuild up.  He is the exact position this team needs upgrading the most.  Still not holding my breath tho.

What would the Sabres look like in a couple years if all of: Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Nylander, Dahlin, Ristolainen, and Ullmark reached their full potential? 

We have the pieces, what we need is continued development. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.