2018 NHL Playoffs: Round 2

WildCard

Daggum memory. I thought they'd beat us in round 2.

What happened to the Caps in the SCF that year?

As you can tell, I'm not cross-checking things with Google.

Also: What year was the loss to Pittsburgh where Hasek let in a not-great goal to end the series and skated off the ice as though he'd been shot out of a cannon?

Swept by the Red Wings. That was right about the time Detroit started a dynasty

Daggum memory. I thought they'd beat us in round 2.

What happened to the Caps in the SCF that year?

As you can tell, I'm not cross-checking things with Google.

Also: What year was the loss to Pittsburgh where Hasek let in a not-great goal to end the series and skated off the ice as though he'd been shot out of a cannon?

The Caps lost to the Red Wings in the 1998 SCF.

Friggin' Kasperitis (sp?) ... 2001.  That was an interesting series with the home team winning only twice, I think.  Something like that makes it stand out in my memory.

I was living in DC at the time and attended 2 of the Caps-Sabres conf. finals games in 1998.  (The Caps were then swept in the finals that year by Detroyit.)

As for Hasek's departure -- that was after the 2nd-round loss to Pittsburgh in 2001 -- and that was Dom's last game as a Sabre.

Separately:  I would freaking love for the Sabres to trade for Holtby this summer.

pi's avatar game puts the rest of us to shame

It is indeed outstanding.

The Caps lost to the Red Wings in the 1998 SCF.

Friggin' Kasperitis (sp?) ... 2001.  That was an interesting series with the home team winning only twice, I think.  Something like that makes it stand out in my memory.

I was at that game, sitting 20ish rows behind the net on the other end of the ice. Still can't believe Hasek let that in.

Don Cherry's schtick may not be aging well but as a 90's kid who received a copy of Rock em Sock em hockey every year for Christmas, I'll always have a soft spot for the old coot.

Pre YouTube and 100000 tv channels these highlight reels set to "eurotrash" techno were absolute gold.

I still toss them on for the boys before a big beer league game

Most of Don's great hits and hip checks of old are now penalties and calls from Player Safety.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

Edited by woods-racer

Most of Don's great hits and hip checks of old are now penalties and calls from Player Safety.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

I loved those videos as well. Watched the hip checks on that clip, and, yeesh -- most of them (now) looked downright dirty to me (hits on knees).

Am I the only one who thinks that big mascot heads on the ice that teams skate through is really cheesily awful.

I feel like I'm at a bad miniature golf course in Myrtle Beach.

The sabres that the sabres skate out under are pretty cheesy too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.