2018 NHL Playoffs: Round 2

WildCard

I'd take him in Buffalo in a heartbeat.... perhaps with the emergence of Saros, his $7mil/yr price tag, and being 35 years old...  they'll look move him.   

He has one year left at $7mil/yr.... I'd do a Bogo for Rinne deal.     

They would net $2mil in cap space next season and add a defender with only 2 years left on his deal.    

BUF rids themselves of Bogo's contract and gets a goaltender that could likely get them into a playoff position.... on a one year deal, which would be attractive to a playoff team at the deadline if BUF is out of playoff contention.   

That said, Rinne would probably rather retire than accept a trade to BUF.... hahaha.   He does have a NTC/NMC.  

The apocalypse is nigh.  I actually agree with you.

I'd take him in Buffalo in a heartbeat.... perhaps with the emergence of Saros, his $7mil/yr price tag, and being 35 years old...  they'll look move him.   

He has one year left at $7mil/yr.... I'd do a Bogo for Rinne deal.     

They would net $2mil in cap space next season and add a defender with only 2 years left on his deal.    

BUF rids themselves of Bogo's contract and gets a goaltender that could likely get them into a playoff position.... on a one year deal, which would be attractive to a playoff team at the deadline if BUF is out of playoff contention.   

That said, Rinne would probably rather retire than accept a trade to BUF.... hahaha.   He does have a NTC/NMC.

The apocalypse is nigh.  I actually agree with you.

It's closer than you realize.

Don't bring facts to an emotional argument!

...not to mention there is no way in hell one of the best teams in hockey would want an always hurt third pair defenseman making $6 million per year

Who is arguing from emotion? You wouldn't make that trade in a universe where Nashville accepts it?

Duh. But that's not the conversation.

It absolutely is. This all started with pi suggesting a Bogo for Rinne trade. Sure, I'd take Rinne for a year. But, the Preds have the best defense corp in hockey. And, all of them make less than Bogosian with the exception of Subban.

A related argument is how we've been killed by bad deals / untradeable salaries over the past decade or so... but that is probably for another tread.

BTW - Saros is an RFA. IMHO, a better play would be to throw a contract at him and see how the Preds respond

Edited by Iron Crotch

It absolutely is. This all started with pi suggesting a Bogo for Rinne trade. Sure, I'd take Rinne for a year. But, the Preds have the best defense corp in hockey. And, all of them make less than Bogosian with the exception of Subban.

A related argument is how we've been killed by bad deals / untradeable salaries over the past decade or so... but that is probably for another tread.

Yes, but Randall is replying to comments suggesting that taking Rinne is actually a bad idea.

Of course Pekka is better than Lehner. But, there is absolutely zero chance Nashville would want Bogosian and that absurd contract. Zero. 

This has already been established by at least two of us.

Edit: I'm too slow. 

And mediocre.

The dude is most likely winning the trophy for best goalie in the NHL this year haha

This has already been established by at least two of us.

Edit: I'm too slow.

The dude is most likely winning the trophy for best goalie in the NHL this year haha

Well, he was mediocre last year and terrible the year before. Taking the last three seasons in sum, I'd say mediocre is a pretty accurate description.

Well, he was mediocre last year and terrible the year before. Taking the last three seasons in sum, I'd say mediocre is a pretty accurate description.

Convenient to stop right before the other two seasons he was top 3 in Vezina voting  :nana:

Edit, sorry, one 2nd place finish, then two years, then two top 3 finishes. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Convenient to stop right before the other two seasons he was top 3 in Vezina voting :nana:

And for you to ignore the other bad seasons in between them :p

Edit: of course, we also know that not all of the Vezina voting was supported by the numbers.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

And for you to ignore the other bad seasons in between them :P

In all seriousness, I feel like you can look at any good goalie and find "mediocre" and even "bad" seasons between their awesome ones. 

I remember Bobrovsky being awesome, then terrible, then godlike. Quick is the king of this. Fleury has done it as well. I think that's just how goalies not named Price generally work. 

In all seriousness, I feel like you can look at any good goalie and find "mediocre" and even "bad" seasons between their awesome ones.

I remember Bobrovsky being awesome, then terrible, then godlike. Quick is the king of this. Fleury has done it as well. I think that's just how goalies not named Price generally work.

Has Bob had any bad seasons? I thought it was just the playoffs.

And I think you just made the argument against spending big money on good-but-not-great goalies. I'd happily take Rinne for Bogosian, but let's not overrate Rinne in the process. $7 million for what Rinne is likely to give is a bad contract. It just happens to be better than Bogosian's.

Edit: Lundqvist > all. 922 every freaking year.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Has Bob had any bad seasons? I thought it was just the playoffs.

And I think you just made the argument against spending big money on good-but-not-great goalies. I'd happily take Rinne for Bogosian, but let's not overrate Rinne in the process. $7 million for what Rinne is likely to give is a bad contract. It just happens to be better than Bogosian's.

Edit: Lundqvist > all. 922 every freaking year.

He's had like two off the top of my head. 

Oh I agree. That deal is about the only time I'm interested in a >7 mil goalie, because it's one year. Unless he's a 26 year old Lundqvist, and even then..

Hank was truly incredible for a long stretch there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.