Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

We literally talked about Kane and a Kane trade and getting something rather than nothing since he's going to leave/we aren't resigning him, and have hundred page threads on all his transgressions, and have shared tweets indicating that his value might be suppressed because of said things, over the past few months and even years.

And this is apparently the most upsetting and astounding thing in the world for some?

Were we not prepared, Sabrespace? 

The Sabres move onward and I'm happy that Kane the player gets a shot at the playoffs and won't be screwing with his line's ability to make plays in the future.

So I'm supposed to cut him slack for a garbage trade because he didn't make other garbage trades?

All he has to sell is garbage. Not his garbage, the previous GM's.

He made some bitter lemonade out of the pile of rotten lemons he had to work with. Kane has a reputation that hurt his price. Bott's didn't do that to him. GMTM trades are falling to the worst ever as Sabre GM and you're calling out the wrong GM.

Edited by skogslopp

For those of you that are looking at O'Regan as the saving grace on this -sandwich trade, he was a 5th round selection in 2012 and is only crushing it in the AHL because he is an over age prospect. From my limited research, he looks like a typical AAAA player who is an AHL all star but not a difference maker in the NHL.

Listen to you guys ... you'd think you were in the room and heard GMJB turned down better offers. Guaranteed there were none.

That doesn't mean he should have taken this one.  There is value to letting the league know you won't be had.  Considerable value, IMO.

So, then, wtf is the condition on the 2020 4th (or were early reports that was also conditional misreported)?

So, at the end of the day, it looks like the Sabres get $5.25MM in cap space next year, 2 sticks & a skate sharpener. Awesome. (Where's the shaking your head emoji when you really need it.) <_<

Yeah, that's what it looks like.

For the record, if Kane does re-sign in SJ, I'm digging a first from them in 2019 moreso than 2018, there's a real chance they fall off a cliff.

The way our luck works, if he re-signs they sneak into the playoffs next year & if he doesn't, they just miss & hit the lottery themselves. :(

That doesn't mean he should have taken this one.  There is value to letting the league know you won't be had.  Considerable value, IMO.

I don't think this value is getting "had" for a guy who kills the possession on any line he plays on and compensates for it with 1 goal every 40 shot attempts every 4 games or so.  

I suspect that any mistake that was made happened in November/December/January, when Kane usage changed.  In trying to fix the team, he was no longer put in the best possible position and his individual stats dropped way off.  I'm sure GMs took that as a sign of a bad attitude, which would fit with his off ice reputation.  Also, who wants to pay a lot for a "scorer" who hasn't scored in months.  Apparently, 4 goals in 7 games recently wasn't enough to convince him that the real Kane is a true goal scorer.

Edited by carpandean

There's no use in complaining over something that we have no control over

No, just that it's bizarre to assume that there were better deals that he said no to, and so countering the upset is not shutting down conversation. Opposing viewpoints like SDSs drive every discussion on this board, and usually don't get asserted as "trying to shut conversation down"

Come on GA. Worst trade in franchise history?! LMAO. We're trading a rental player. One with a very checkered history. There's no evidence out there that there was ever a better deal on the table. To me this is still better than getting absolutely nothing. Still not thrilled with the return but it is what it is.

You turned a good player into nothing. A 2nd rd pick in 2019 has about a 30% chance of playlist 100 games in the NHL and about a 5% chance of being a top 6 player. A 4th pick in 2020, if we even get that pick, has about a 11% chance of making the NHL. Jacks old BU buddy is a JAG at best. We have 15 forwards just like him. Bottom line: we literally got almost nothing for Kane.

Show me a worse deal?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I suspect that any mistake that was made happened in November/December/January, when Kane usage changed.  In trying to fix the team, he was no longer put in the best possible position and his individual stats dropped way off.  I'm sure GMs took that as a sign of a bad attitude, which would fit with his off ice reputation.  Also, who wants to pay a lot for a "scorer" who has scored in months.  Apparently, 4 goals in 7 games recently wasn't enough to convince him that the real Kane is a true goal scorer.

It worked though, because we were actually a .500 team when Kane was out of the top six, and 30 GMs saw that. 

I will be interested to see how Kane does in FA.  If he doesn't get a fat long-term deal, it will support the position that his value today wasn't very high.

We saw Dimitri Kulikov get $4 million this summer after we couldn’t trade him for a fourth in April.

But clearly there must be a strong sense that Kane comes with a stink playoff bound teams considered risky.

He has a chance to wash that off with a big playoff run, and I think he and San Jose will make out just fine with this deal.

Oh OK ... if GMJB didn't take the best deal, fine. But if he didn't deal Kane and Kane doesn't resign with us, I'd like to see your posts come 7/1. Kane didn't exactly help himself over the past month and I'm sure the other 31 GMs have more info than us.