Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

AND the condition is the Sharks re-signing him, not lottery.  THIS SUX!

John Vogl Retweeted

Here's the condition of the first-round 2019 pick in the Evander Kane deal: if the Sharks re-sign Kane, it's a first; but if Kane walks into free agency, it's a second-round pick in 2019

a bad trade even worse...how can anyone defend this?

So, where are all the posts saying that this is better than having Kane walk for nothing in free agency?

I have to believe that this was the best deal to be made when it is very clear that Kane was / is not going sign with the Sabres come July 1st.

Hoping that he does, but I really don't think so.

First, the way the trade was originally articulated was misleading.

It's a 2019 pick, not 2018.  It's a conditional second, not a conditional first.

This is just a bad deal.  Botterill was had.

What do you think happened then? Kane has been on the block for months. Do you think Botterill refused better offers? Do you think he didn't take that offer to other interested parties to beat? 

Half the teams in the NHL probably don't want anything to do with him due to his attitude/reputation/off ice stuff whether its fair or not...when you are limiting the number of potential suitors you are also limiting his worth

Yup, he's not so over the top good that GMs would overlook Kanes baggage. His past rep matters a lot and it showed in the trade.

The only way this turns into being palatable for me is one of 

1)Kane comes back on a decent deal to the Sabres this summer, which, though unlikely is still much more likely than

2)He resigns with the Sharks, the deal isn't lotto protected, and they miss the playoffs next year.

This could go down as the worst trade in Sabres history. That 2nd rd pick in 2019 better turn out to be a great player.

How many more mediocre forwards do we need?

Just think of it this way, how bad were opinions of Kane around the league that this is the best we could do.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I find it strange that nash and even hartman got much better returns...at least EXGMTM got 1si rounders for Vanek and Miller that were this year's...last thing we need is a 1st rounder next year. we have to wait like forever to see if the guy is any good at all we pick? very disappointing. I guess we should be enthused about the 4th round pick? Really? the whole trade now to Winnipeg is very one-sided with the jets having got a haul we got have...a guy in the AHL, some picks that will not amount to anything and...

AND the condition is the Sharks re-signing him, not lottery.  THIS SUX!

John Vogl Retweeted

lebrun_twitter_49669_bigger.jpgPierre LeBrunVerified account @PierreVLeBrun 37s38 seconds ago

More

Here's the condition of the first-round 2019 pick in the Evander Kane deal: if the Sharks re-sign Kane, it's a first; but if Kane walks into free agency, it's a second-round pick in 2019

So, then, wtf is the condition on the 2020 4th (or were early reports that was also conditional misreported)?

So, at the end of the day, it looks like the Sabres get $5.25MM in cap space next year, 2 sticks & a skate sharpener. Awesome. (Where's the shaking your head emoji when you really need it.) <_<

You said only GMs opinions matter in a thread where we are specifically sharing our opinion on something

That is in response to fans saying he is worth more. 31 GMs disagreed. That point is neither wrong, nor does it say to stop talking about it.

Come on GA. Worst trade in franchise history?! LMAO. We're trading a rental player. One with a very checkered history. There's no evidence out there that there was ever a better deal on the table. To me this is still better than getting absolutely nothing. Still not thrilled with the return but it is what it is.

Half the teams in the NHL probably don't want anything to do with him due to his attitude/reputation/off ice stuff whether its fair or not...when you are limiting the number of potential suitors you are also limiting his worth

Winner winner chicken dinner !