Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

How do any of us have enough information to pass judgment on this trade?  Superficially it can appear one way.  Again, we are not in the business, so we don't know.  

It's not like information about moves and trades have not come out days, weeks, months, or even years later that make you rethink why something happened.  So why get bent over something within 30 minutes of it happening as if that's all it will ever be?

J Bot set the expectations to the fan base when he said a 1st, a prospect and a player and I should have known better ?

Suffice it to say, when dealing with Buffalo sports team, LOWER your expectations, WAIT until next year and above all else DRINK HEAVILY !!

There is some truth to this, except for Kane. He was our one asset and now he is gone for basically nothing.

I can accept the offers weren’t great, but to not get a real prospect or even a pick this year is inexcusable

Inexcusable?  If a "real prospect" wasn't available then what do you say to that?  Do you refuse to believe that possibility?

As for a pick this year.. I guess a 7th this year would have been better for you?

Kane is not the "one asset" this team has.  He was the most available asset this team had.  He was leaving one way or another.  It was going to be basically nothing or nothing. There are other pieces of this team that can and might move before next year.

How do any of us have enough information to pass judgment on this trade?  Superficially it can appear one way.  Again, we are not in the business, so we don't know.  

It's not like information about moves and trades have not come out days, weeks, months, or even years later that make you rethink why something happened.  So why get bent over something within 30 minutes of it happening as if that's all it will ever be?

A voice of reason 

J Bot set the expectations to the fan base when he said a 1st, a prospect and a player and I should have known better ?

Suffice it to say, when dealing with Buffalo sports team, LOWER your expectations, WAIT until next year and above all else DRINK HEAVILY !!

Yes.. you should have known better.  You should know that half of what gets reported is BS and posturing.  We've spoken about this on all the lead up to this day.

Because I don't worry too much about who says what.. did those words actually come out of Botterill's mouth or was that what was "reported"?  I honestly don't care too much what people say.

Good point. Brassard, Nash and Stastny returns were all fed by massive retention.

Maybe cap space means more to JBotts plan than we realize.

Cap means nothing at this point. Kane’s 5.6 has only about 1.4 left for the season and is an UFA. I can’t see how that was an issue in this terrible deal.

I wrote a week ago that I thought we’d only get a 2nd and a prospect for Kane, but I expected a 2018 2nd and a legit prospect. Not a 2019 pick and another depth forward just like the other 42 we have.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I don't see how keeping Kane playing out another losing season would improve our negotiating position before July 1st.  Let Kane play playoffs, let's see if he can stay healthy, and then let's see what happens July 1st.  In your scenario if Jbot doesn't sign him at the end of two months,  he basically gave up a 1st rounder, a prospect, and a 4th rounder for the right to negotiate with a player that has already lived in your city and played on your team for 3 years. 

Regarding poker with the big boys, I think it would have shown timidness to not make a move here.  I also think that even when you lose a negotiation, you can use that as leverage in another situation ("hey man, I got killed last year, if you don't give me XYZ I can't make that deal").    

Actually it would've shown stupidity as no team would trade for Kane's rights before 7/1 knowing he's an UFA. 

How would everyone feel if J Bot said, "I didn't trade Kane because the best offer I could get wasn't good enough and that offer was a conditional 1st in 2019 if team resigns him, a 4th in 2020 and a 3rd or 4th line center" ?

Are you hoping that people say it would have been better to keep Kane around for the rest of the season?  I am glad he's moved him.  I'll have faith he did the best he could.  There's not enough body of work to suggest otherwise.

I'm trying to see it that way, praying I'm wrong, help me out, how is this a good trade ?

Is that the right question to ask? The most we can ask for is to maximize the return on an asset and that is determined by what others are willing to part with. We may have gotten the worst of this trade. But if this value is so low, if this is essentially the Sabres giving him away - why didn't anyone else offer more? It wouldn't have taken much to beat this deal to say the least.

Are you hoping that people say it would have been better to keep Kane around for the rest of the season?  I am glad he's moved him.  I'll have faith he did the best he could.  There's not enough body of work to suggest otherwise.

No, if this was the best deal out there, from my perspective something is always better than nothing.

My issue, is, I have to think J Bot had a better deal a month or 2 ago and waited hoping to get something even better and it cost him -- or he hoped that waiting for the first trade of deadline (i.e. Nash) would set a higher bar ---

In the end, we got what we got, but in the end, San Jose gave up very little for a legit Top 6 rental

The #1 overall pick is earmarked for the Rangers. Don't even entertain the thought for Buffalo.

If Buffalo loses the lottery it's because they had a 12% chance at winnning, not because the league rigs a lottery run by an independent firm for scenarios that don't benefit them at all, like McD to Edmonton or Matthews to a market that doesn't need him over his hometown that is a dying organization propped up by the league.

There is some truth to this, except for Kane. He was our one asset and now he is gone for basically nothing.

I can accept the offers weren’t great, but to not get a real prospect or even a pick this year is inexcusable

So, how do you make a team offer more other than by saying "no"? Eventually he has to say yes to someone. 

If Buffalo loses the lottery it's because they had a 12% chance at winnning, not because the league rigs a lottery run by an independent firm for scenarios that don't benefit them at all, like McD to Edmonton or Matthews to a market that doesn't need him over his hometown that is a dying organization propped up by the league.

Toronto needed help. Bettman ensured that pick wasn't going anywhere.