Harrington is right! - Really

GASabresIUFAN

I think JW might think is TBD style inane attacks and misses the point of Judge Smell... a prickly dude he has become. I dare him to show up at one of our Sabrespace meetups next year. We are not so anonymous. I usually like his writing... but man has he become a grumpy old man. Walter Mathau comes to mind... he might need to pull his lower lip over his head and swallow himself... Where is that old self deprecating writer... twitter beat it out of him?

Edited by North Buffalo

And I have no problem when others mention it. In fact, I noted UB women's coach Felisha Legette-Jack's faith in a piece i wrote last week about her.

jw

And it was a very nice piece, and it did explain how she translated that to her coaching philosophy.  Contra what you might see in some newspaper in the Belt, where it would be all about the faith.

at the very least my name's on my postings.

you're a one-trick pony in anonymity.

jw

No, he's not a one-trick pony.  He's a very valuable contributor to this board and, from what I understand (because he does guard his anonymity jealously), to the community.  Some people have careers that might clash with their views, even on sports, John, and Aud is one of those people.  Please respect that if you're going to debate here.  Otherwise, keep winning your war with the ink by the barrelful, which you have, and which Aud hasn't.

That Aud Smell has brought so, so much to this forum and I will fight to the death against his disparagement!

Damned straight.

Guys like Wawrow deal with the worst of the Internet on a daily basis and for some, it unfortunately seems to bleed into all their online communications. Sabrespace is not Twitter and never has been.

The attitude you inspire has a lot to do with the attitude you bring.

Guys like Wawrow deal with the worst of the Internet on a daily basis and for some, it unfortunately seems to bleed into all their online communications. Sabrespace is not Twitter and never has been.

The attitude you inspire has a lot to do with the attitude you bring.

Indeed, and I never have seen Aud "inspire" a attitude.

Will we be talking about this in 5 years? How Warwow went all Lucic on smell's Miller, or would it be Miller's smell? And Sabrespace didn't stand up to the Lucicing. My story, which may or may not be true, is I went to Bangladesh, then Cairo, then St Petersburg Florida with Woody. If that doesn't make any sense, we were in Florida to get 36 holes of golf in.

I feel so Luke Adam right now.

Say what you like about Boston but that is an example of the opposite. They always stand up for each other and it isn't always the big guys. I remember seeing little Tory Krug go after a guy after a hit on someone. It's not about old style hockey or being violent, it's about a feeling of unity, a culture where the team is a team and everyone does their job and plays their role as a group. Sabres haven't had that sort of feel since..................a long time ago. 

Why? No idea. It's not something you can build overnight. Maybe we have to accept a step backwards as they removed more talented individualists for some character leadership guys who can instill that attitude throughout the team? Our best teams always had solid leaders (Drury, Peca, Schoenfelt) and we definitely need a few of those now.   

The bottom line is fear. Our players have always been cowards, since the beginning. Even Perreault had little to no character.

Edited by Marvelo

The bottom line is fear. Our players have always been cowards, since the beginning. Even Perreault had little to no character.[/quote

You are correct Sabres teams have been full of pussies since the beginning. But to single out Perreault makes no sense. You do that, then single out Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid etc. None of them were fighters or hitters either. Those guys jobs were to score and they all did. Hall of fame level offensive stars. Wasn’t their job to fight or play physical. Plenty of others over the past 100 years to play THAT role.

Edited by Billznut

Will we be talking about this in 5 years? How Warwow went all Lucic on smell's Miller, or would it be Miller's smell? And Sabrespace didn't stand up to the Lucicing. My story, which may or may not be true, is I went to Bangladesh, then Cairo, then St Petersburg Florida with Woody. If that doesn't make any sense, we were in Florida to get 36 holes of golf in.

I feel so Luke Adam right now.

Hey I'll take the thread cameo :)

Have not been to any of those places, but now I have more ideas!!

The bottom line is fear. Our players have always been cowards, since the beginning. Even Perreault had little to no character.

Perreault wasn't a fighter but neither was Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux or countless others. We've had our share of character guys. We need some now, but to say "our players have always been cowards" is ridiculous. Remember Schoenfeld Cashman through the boards?  Korab, Playfair, Dudley. Peca. What about Barnaby, Ray and May on the same team? We've had our share, it's not all about Miller vs. Lucic. If the argument is we need more character on this team I'm with you, but saying we've always been cowards is ridiculous.

Memories:

There have been times in the Sabres history that they have had a GM, mainly Muckler, who put together a bunch of Sabres who had stones. But on on the most part, if you had been watching from the beginning, the Sabres have had a bunch of gutless wonders who have been exposed as toast in the playoffs because the aggression factor did not come from the leaders and it was an unnatural emotion for the organization. Watch the Philadelphia Flyers docu "The Broad Street Bullies." They were afraid of nothing. And that became their identity.

Buffalo has never had an identity. They always tried to copy other teams' success. In its early years Buffalo was trying to be Montreal, and who could blame them? The Habs had all the cups back then. But for some reason they the Sabres were soft and the owners/GM did not put the team over the top with acquistions at the right time. The weakest links -- Desjardins and Crozier -- were never upgraded and were eventually outclassed. They could have won the cup with a great goalie and one-two players in 74-75, probably their best opportunity. Desjardins in particular was pathetic. To address Schoenfeld and Korab they were not complete players and not leaders. Schoenfeld had a great start like Myers, but after a couple years, gave up fighting for his teammates. (look it up in the Punch Imlach book)  In my opinion, Schoenfeld was no hero, he was mediocre. He is mainly defined by the fight with Cashman. Korab was a simply dumb brute.

After the Sabres first great run of 74-75, they went on cruise control until the mid-80s when they crashed. Even Bowman couldn't do anything with them. Punch had a stat where in the teams best times from 75-79, they did not once come back from a third period deficit. It was essentially a team of front-runners. Perreault, although beautiful to watch, was a tap dancer for the Buffalo Sabres whose career could have been better, as he has said. Watch Bobby Clarke damn him with faint praise and Gil's historical significance is clearly shown.

The early 90s was the Sabres heyday but again, no cash at the end. They were talented again but the window was short. In 99 and 05, they put together impressive runs, but again predictably, no hero stepped up to the forefront. The Sabres have never had a leader with stones, who had high-level production on the ice and also fought for his team, like a Bobby Clarke.

The era of Ray-May-Barnaby was the time when GM Muckler got the closest to reflecting the team with its hardcore blue collar fans. They fought and the fans loved it. But never before and never since. It has always been score with no fight or fight with no score. Now, it's no score, no fight.

It's significant that the greatest game this team ever played was an exhibition game against the Russians. (12-6)

Edited by Marvelo

lol, Warrow don't waltz in here and demand our names and try calling us out. This board discusses and analyzes hockey 365 days a year. If you want to be part of the community you need to do more than just stroll in bitch because someone dislikes Russ Brandon and then try to call out a poster.  That isn't contributing to the board to be honest. 

Edited by Skurk Liger

There have been times in the Sabres history that they have had a GM, mainly Muckler, who put together a bunch of Sabres who had stones. But on on the most part, if you had been watching from the beginning, the Sabres have had a bunch of gutless wonders who have been exposed as toast in the playoffs because the aggression factor did not come from the leaders and it was an unnatural emotion for the organization. Watch the Philadelphia Flyers docu "The Broad Street Bullies." They were afraid of nothing. And that became their identity.

Buffalo has never had an identity. They always tried to copy other teams' success. In its early years Buffalo was trying to be Montreal, and who could blame them? The Habs had all the cups back then. But for some reason they the Sabres were soft and the owners/GM did not put the team over the top with acquistions at the right time. The weakest links -- Desjardins and Crozier -- were never upgraded and were eventually outclassed. They could have won the cup with a great goalie and one-two players in 74-75, probably their best opportunity. Desjardins in particular was pathetic. To address Schoenfeld and Korab they were not complete players and not leaders. Schoenfeld had a great start like Myers, but after a couple years, gave up fighting for his teammates. (look it up in the Punch Imlach book)  In my opinion, Schoenfeld was no hero, he was mediocre. He is mainly defined by the fight with Cashman. Korab was a simply dumb brute.

After the Sabres first great run of 74-75, they went on cruise control until the mid-80s when they crashed. Even Bowman couldn't do anything with them. Punch had a stat where in the teams best times from 75-79, they did not once come back from a third period deficit. It was essentially a team of front-runners. Perreault, although beautiful to watch, was a tap dancer for the Buffalo Sabres whose career could have been better, as he has said. Watch Bobby Clarke damn him with faint praise and Gil's historical significance is clearly shown.

The early 90s was the Sabres heyday but again, no cash at the end. They were talented again but the window was short. In 99 and 05, they put together impressive runs, but again predictably, no hero stepped up to the forefront. The Sabres have never had a leader with stones, who had high-level production on the ice and also fought for his team, like a Bobby Clarke.

The era of Ray-May-Barnaby was the time when GM Muckler got the closest to reflecting the team with its hardcore blue collar fans. They fought and the fans loved it. But never before and never since. It has always been score with no fight or fight with no score. Now, it's no score, no fight.

It's significant that the greatest game this team ever played was an exhibition game against the Russians. (12-6)

I think this post completely misses a couple of years last decade where there was plenty of scoring and plenty of fight.

What, no chinless dwerp?

I’m trying to listen to my better angels.

at the very least my name's on my postings.

you're a one-trick pony in anonymity.

jw

Been off the grid a bit - just seeing this.

The sadness deepens.

It’s an internet message board, jw, anonymity is a featured option.

And if you participated here, you’d know I (along with many others) am a. nuanced thinker —- and, yes, speculator.

I suggest you keep “doing journalism”, and keep your thin skin off these hurly burly message boards.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I hate you for quoting that post so that I have to see it. 

It might be one of the best historical analyses of the Sabres ever written on this board. You ignore at your peril.

Well done. I think Mike Peca came closest to that leader with stones you pine for. But just when the Sabres might have been poised for another run in 2001, the Rigases let him sit, probably because their scheme was falling apart. Dom knew it, probably during the season -- that he'd have to win a Cup somewhere else.

Time and again, the Sabres have gotten close but for this reason or that, ownership couldn't or wouldn't put them over the top.

lol, Warrow don't waltz in here and demand our names and try calling us out. This board discusses and analyzes hockey 365 days a year. If you want to be part of the community you need to do more than just stroll in bitch because someone dislikes Russ Brandon and then try to call out a poster.  That isn't contributing to the board to be honest.

Exactly really disappointed in JW guess will need to unfollow on twitter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.