(OT) If you had to name a Sandwich Captain of your Sandwich Team, what kind of sandwich would it be?

Eleven

Falls apart to readily to be captain. A club sandwich is Robin Lehner. Great numbers that doesn’t hold up under pressure.

I don't think I've ever had a problem with a turkey club falling apart, with or without toothpicks. What are you guys doing to your sandwiches? You know you don't have to throw them down the stairs first, right?

My sandwich Captain plays with an edge. Always a little salty. Dedicated to sating hunger all day every day. Even when it's not the best, it's still good. Don't know what to order? No problem. Here you go.

My sandwich Captain is the Reuben.

Donnelly's in Fairport brines their own brisket and then roasts it and slices the corned beef like a BBQ joint serves their smoked brisket.  It's thick slices, flakes apart, and is unbelievable.  Currently, this is why I would agree with you 100%.  

Elite sandwich, but that’s Marian Hossa. Excellent, versatile, reliable, all-purpose. But not the captain.

The reuben is dynomite.

Italian beef... Portillos version.. Mmmmmm

I have had one of those... it was really good.  But not... great.

So have we agreed a Large Wegmans sub of some kind is the Captain of the Sandwich team?

Wegmans subs are shite compared to any decent deli.  Hell, my local supermarket makes better subs.  Once upon a time Wegman's had great subs.. then they went all operational efficiency on them and the rolls went downhill, the precise measurement of meat incurred.. COUNTING the banana peppers happened.. no thanks.  I don't need a rocket scientist making my sammich.

:P

Honestly, I have no idea if anyone of Cuban descent has ever even played in the NHL.

I'm pretty sure the NHL has never had a decent Cuban player.

Born in Pennsylvania, my captain could wear the C in probably any state or city. He has greasy, slicked back hair. There is a simplicity to his game, but it is still miraculously well-rounded and delightful. His go-to shootout move is top cheese. Plays best with a basket of fries on his wing.

Philly cheese steak

(still no mushrooms )

Seconded.  I like mine with mushrooms, peppers, onions and a little mayo.  And they are best in Philly.

In any case:  the captain of sandwiches brings it every time, and leaves an impression when the game is done. 

Hey 11,

I hope you are prepared to /thread ...

Montreal Smoked Meat ..........

Overrated.

Yeah, I said it.

Also: Is MTL smoked meat basically pastrami?

Unacceptable, and one of our A-wearers -- the pastrami on rye from Katz's -- would like a word.

Now we are getting somewhere....

The Captain needs to be the glue that holds the team together. What is the glue in a sandwich? Melted cheese. First rule of sandwich captaincy is, melted cheese holding the thing togethet under it’s own strength is a must.

Troof.

Letters:

C -- Philly cheese steak

A -- Hot pastrami on rye from Katz's

A -- Tuna on wheat toast with tomato, cheese and bacon

Rest of top 6:

- Pulled pork sandwich with slaw and hot sauce

- Cubano

- Fried chicken with egg and cheese on biscuit

Alright --- direct from my morning meetings. Keep the music playing in your heads....

In goal, Grilled Cheese!       (Your last line of resort. The one you can always count on. You have it when you’re getting over the flu, but it’s delicious anytime. Think of the 4 x 6 as your big bowl of tomato soup.)

On defense, Hot Pastrami on Rye (The anchor. Nasty in the corners. Clears the front of the net. Cannon of a shot. The uncompromising big brother to the shotgun.)

Also on defense, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit (aka Fried Egg Sandwich).   (The rushing defense, plays point on the power play. Gets things moving in the morning.)

On wing, Beef on Weck (The heavier, grittier winger. Net front on the power play, kills penalties, will throw down the gloves when necessary.)

On wing, Cubano (The shot. The shiftiness. The timely goals. The glory hound and probably the most skilled [delicious] player. But, not the Captain.)

And starting at center, youuurrrrrr Captain, BLT. (The heart and soul of the team. The glue that binds all the others together and keeps the harmony. Leads by example, not by flash. Is well-respected around the league. Oh, and one of the most balanced flavor deliveries in the world.) Key attributes: toasted sourdough bread, thick-cut Hempler’s bacon, mayo, and perky tomatoes. Lettuce… yes, lettuce exists. Good for you, lettuce.

Also in tonight’s lineup:

Forward lines:

Scoring line 2: Cold Italian meat sub (pickles, olives, peppers, onions, and olive oil/vinegar/oregano/salt/pepper) - Club - Lobster Roll (the floating around the perimeter sniper)

Scoring line 3: Patty Melt - Post-Thanksgiving Turkey w/ cranberry - Bánh Mi

Grind/Energy line 4: Braunschweiger on Pumpernickel - French Dip - Muffuletta

Defense pairings:

Reuben - Pulled Pork

Chicken Salad - Arby’s Roast Beef and cheddar, with Horsey sauce (you only want to play this one 12 minutes a night)

Backup goalie – PB&J (You’ve got a future kid, but your tastebuds are AHL-level. Enjoy the callup.)

**Roster excludes wraps (falafel, gyro), anything with the word “burger” in it, and any encased meat that is unsliced or is sliced lengthwise instead of on the 90 (sausages, hot dogs). They play in different (also tasty) leagues.

Seconded.  I like mine with mushrooms, peppers, onions and a little mayo.  And they are best in Philly.

In any case:  the captain of sandwiches brings it every time, and leaves an impression when the game is done. 

Overrated.

Yeah, I said it.

Unacceptable, and one of our A-wearers -- the pastrami on rye from Katz's -- would like a word.

Troof.

Letters:

C -- Philly cheese steak

A -- Hot pastrami on rye from Katz's

A -- Tuna on wheat toast with tomato, cheese and bacon

Rest of top 6:

- Pulled pork sandwich with slaw and hot sauce

- Cubano

- Fried chicken with egg and cheese on biscuit

Calling out someone's proposal as "overrated" and invoking Katz's deli in the same post.  Now that's some chutzpah.

Alright --- direct from my morning meetings. Keep the music playing in your heads....

In goal, Grilled Cheese!       (Your last line of resort. The one you can always count on. You have it when you’re getting over the flu, but it’s delicious anytime. Think of the 4 x 6 as your big bowl of tomato soup.)

On defense, Hot Pastrami on Rye (The anchor. Nasty in the corners. Clears the front of the net. Cannon of a shot. The uncompromising big brother to the shotgun.)

Also on defense, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit (aka Fried Egg Sandwich).   (The rushing defense, plays point on the power play. Gets things moving in the morning.)

On wing, Beef on Weck (The heavier, grittier winger. Net front on the power play, kills penalties, will throw down the gloves when necessary.)

On wing, Cubano (The shot. The shiftiness. The timely goals. The glory hound and probably the most skilled [delicious] player. But, not the Captain.)

And starting at center, youuurrrrrr Captain, BLT. (The heart and soul of the team. The glue that binds all the others together and keeps the harmony. Leads by example, not by flash. Is well-respected around the league. Oh, and one of the most balanced flavor deliveries in the world.) Key attributes: toasted sourdough bread, thick-cut Hempler’s bacon, mayo, and perky tomatoes. Lettuce… yes, lettuce exists. Good for you, lettuce.

Also in tonight’s lineup:

Forward lines:

Scoring line 2: Cold Italian meat sub (pickles, olives, peppers, onions, and olive oil/vinegar/oregano/salt/pepper) - Club - Lobster Roll (the floating around the perimeter sniper)

Scoring line 3: Patty Melt - Post-Thanksgiving Turkey w/ cranberry - Bánh Mi

Grind/Energy line 4: Braunschweiger on Pumpernickel - French Dip - Muffuletta

Defense pairings:

Reuben - Pulled Pork

Chicken Salad - Arby’s Roast Beef and cheddar, with Horsey sauce (you only want to play this one 12 minutes a night)

Backup goalie – PB&J (You’ve got a future kid, but your tastebuds are AHL-level. Enjoy the callup.)

**Roster excludes wraps (falafel, gyro), anything with the word “burger” in it, and any encased meat that is unsliced or is sliced lengthwise instead of on the 90 (sausages, hot dogs). They play in different (also tasty) leagues.

Finally PB&J makes an appearance.  Great call.  

What about the Rachel? Or the Turkey Reuben? 

Corned beef or pastrami, otherwise it's not a reuben

I need to go to Brennan's and get a Reuben now.

There is also nothing better than a Reuben and Genesee Cream Ale fart in the car 

Letters:

C -- Philly cheese steak

The idea that a sandwich from Philadelphia would captain the Buffalo sandwich (hockey) team is a total non-starter, and, frankly, a basis for revoking someone's fan card.

/4 SHORT AIR HORN BLARES

I'll also posit that Montreal smoked meat is, in point of fact, superior to pastrami.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.