(OT) If you had to name a Sandwich Captain of your Sandwich Team, what kind of sandwich would it be?

Eleven

Alright --- direct from my morning meetings. Keep the music playing in your heads....

In goal, Grilled Cheese!       (Your last line of resort. The one you can always count on. You have it when you’re getting over the flu, but it’s delicious anytime. Think of the 4 x 6 as your big bowl of tomato soup.)

On defense, Hot Pastrami on Rye (The anchor. Nasty in the corners. Clears the front of the net. Cannon of a shot. The uncompromising big brother to the shotgun.)

Also on defense, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit (aka Fried Egg Sandwich).   (The rushing defense, plays point on the power play. Gets things moving in the morning.)

On wing, Beef on Weck (The heavier, grittier winger. Net front on the power play, kills penalties, will throw down the gloves when necessary.)

On wing, Cubano (The shot. The shiftiness. The timely goals. The glory hound and probably the most skilled [delicious] player. But, not the Captain.)

And starting at center, youuurrrrrr Captain, BLT. (The heart and soul of the team. The glue that binds all the others together and keeps the harmony. Leads by example, not by flash. Is well-respected around the league. Oh, and one of the most balanced flavor deliveries in the world.) Key attributes: toasted sourdough bread, thick-cut Hempler’s bacon, mayo, and perky tomatoes. Lettuce… yes, lettuce exists. Good for you, lettuce.

Also in tonight’s lineup:

Forward lines:

Scoring line 2: Cold Italian meat sub (pickles, olives, peppers, onions, and olive oil/vinegar/oregano/salt/pepper) - Club - Lobster Roll (the floating around the perimeter sniper)

Scoring line 3: Patty Melt - Post-Thanksgiving Turkey w/ cranberry - Bánh Mi

Grind/Energy line 4: Braunschweiger on Pumpernickel - French Dip - Muffuletta

Defense pairings:

Reuben - Pulled Pork

Chicken Salad - Arby’s Roast Beef and cheddar, with Horsey sauce (you only want to play this one 12 minutes a night)

Backup goalie – PB&J (You’ve got a future kid, but your tastebuds are AHL-level. Enjoy the callup.)

**Roster excludes wraps (falafel, gyro), anything with the word “burger” in it, and any encased meat that is unsliced or is sliced lengthwise instead of on the 90 (sausages, hot dogs). They play in different (also tasty) leagues.

I'm ok with this.

You just know that Pulled Pork is your kind of racist uncle's favorite. He gets real upset when he's traded away at the deadline despite never making a real impact.

Guys a Cuban sandwich isn't playing hockey.

Wait unti he buys the team from Terry.

Our Captain is chicken finger sub. 

I dunno. Maybe Amerks. Chicken fingers are what kids eat, and exasperated parents give to kids. It's parts. It's the Nathan Paetsch of meat products.

a chicken finger sub is all flash and no substance.  It's what you think you remember from your youth what a good sandwich is, but it lacks structure and finesse.  It's half a step up from Chicken McNuggets on a burger bun.

I dunno. Maybe Amerks. Chicken fingers are what kids eat, and exasperated parents give to kids. It's parts. It's the Nathan Paetsch of meat products.

A chicken finger sub is the Max Afinogenov of sandwiches.  The kids love 'em.

Edited by We've

a chicken finger sub is all flash and no substance.  It's what you think you remember from your youth what a good sandwich is, but it lacks structure and finesse.  It's half a step up from Chicken McNuggets on a burger bun.

Chicken finger sub is iconic Buffalo, bruh.

I find breaded chicken in a giant piece of bread... A little... Weird. Sure it's delicious but what isn't when 70% of the sandwich is bread, 10% cheese and 10% sauce.

a chicken finger sub is all flash and no substance. It's what you think you remember from your youth what a good sandwich is, but it lacks structure and finesse. It's half a step up from Chicken McNuggets on a burger bun.

A chicken finger sub is the Max Afinogenov of sandwiches. The kids love 'em.

I like the structure and finesse aspect. I need a sandwich to be a perfectly assembled marriage of ingredients. Not just unfolding a pizza or calzone. A store by me does chicken salad with grapes, walnuts, topped with lettuce and a Ciabatta roll. I'd stab someone for it.

Chicken finger sub is iconic Buffalo, bruh.

Yep the fat guys calling card.

The idea that a sandwich from Philadelphia would captain the Buffalo sandwich (hockey) team is a total non-starter, and, frankly, a basis for revoking someone's fan card.

/4 SHORT AIR HORN BLARES

I'll also posit that Montreal smoked meat is, in point of fact, superior to pastrami.

Fair point on the Philly sub, and I am ashamed.

I am not moving on the MSM-pastrami issue.

This. 

Chicken fingers aren't just for kids. Tully's built a national chain based on that fact.

Tully's built a national chain on being kid-friendly and it has little to do with chicken fingers.  (Which probably are crappy there, anyway.)  Ever watch a game at one and swear at the screen?  Oh, there's a bootin'.

Tully's built a national chain on being kid-friendly and it has little to do with chicken fingers. (Which probably are crappy there, anyway.) Ever watch a game at one and swear at the screen? Oh, there's a bootin'.

I've never had a problem there. Back when the Sabres were a playoff team we used to go there for every game because of the beer specials. Also the Mountain Melt.

Calling out someone's proposal as "overrated" and invoking Katz's deli in the same post.  Now that's some chutzpah.

Finally PB&J makes an appearance.  Great call.  

Damn right.  I ate sandwich at Katz's once.... I've no desire to have another.  It was a lot of mediocre meat on some bread for more than a car payment.

This is how I read that:

Yes it is often called the Rachel.

I also read it that way.  Glad I am not the only one.

Tully's built a national chain on being kid-friendly and it has little to do with chicken fingers.  (Which probably are crappy there, anyway.)  Ever watch a game at one and swear at the screen?  Oh, there's a bootin'.

They are actually pretty good chicken tenders.  Which, is what they call them, because they use the actual chicken tender, and not some mincemeat chicken parts that Tyson uses and every restaurant buys.

And out of two pages of posts... I quoted you 3 times?  Damn.

Since when?  Must be post-1980 (after which I never lived in Buffalo fulltime).  I've never heard of a chicken finger sub.  Sounds like something off the kiddie menu.

Alright, into the pen with the rest of the olds...

Seriously, I've been gone for the best part of twenty years and I've still had many chicken finger subs.

Alright, into the pen with the rest of the olds...

Seriously, I've been gone for the best part of twenty years and I've still had many chicken finger subs.

It's really just the WNY version of a chicken parm hero. I've had many of those as well.

Damn right.  I ate sandwich at Katz's once.... I've no desire to have another.  It was a lot of mediocre meat on some bread for more than a car payment.

This is madness, unless, like Andrew Amerk (where's he been?), you had turkey with American cheese.

Although the sandwiches are pricey there, to be sure.

I have to submit the Sandwich Captain of the Teams Past

Mastmans on the corner of Colvin and Hertel in North Buffalo (Joes Deli is there now)

Corned Beef Sandwich on Kaufman’s Rye Bread with mustard. Their potato salad and a dill pickle on the side.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbuffalolost/mastmanskosherdeli.html

I have to submit the Sandwich Captain of the Teams Past

Mastmans on the corner of Colvin and Hertel in North Buffalo (Joes Deli is there now)

Corned Beef Sandwich on Kaufman’s Rye Bread with mustard. Their potato salad and a dill pickle on the side.

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbuffalolost/mastmanskosherdeli.html

The steak and cheese sub from Pizza Junction in North Tonawanda. Definitely a captain of the past.

Pizza Wings and Things in Fredonia also had a steak sub that wore the C for a while. Mushrooms and hot peppers... Good Christ my stomach is growling now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.