(OT) If you had to name a Sandwich Captain of your Sandwich Team, what kind of sandwich would it be?

Eleven

Clubs have too much bread. Just at the Turkey and extra bacon.

A fair point, but one that falls under personal preference. Give me Rye or give me death!

Where do we stand on wraps?

They're okay if you're into that sort of thing.  :unsure:

But they're not sandwiches.

Who's your captain then?

Not a Wegmans sub, that's for sure. I already put my vote in for Reuben but I'm willing to accept other options.

Wegmans subs are Jody Gage, Captain of the Supermarket Sandwich team. But there's a local shop out there doing the NHL version of everything Wegmans does. You just gotta have scouts who know where to look.

There hasn't been a good beef on weck since Bailo's closed.

Steak Hoagie, Reuben, Fried balogna-onions with pepper jack cheese on rye are in a dead heat for #1 a very close second is liverwurst sliced extra thick on rye with weber's mustard.

Though as I think about it, there's no such thing as a bad sandwich just some better than others.

There hasn't been a good beef on weck since Bailo's closed.

Steak Hoagie, Reuben, Fried balogna-onions with pepper jack cheese on rye are in a dead heat for #1 a very close second is liverwurst sliced extra thick on rye with weber's mustard.

Though as I think about it, there's no such thing as a bad sandwich just some better than others.

I'm here for liverwurst on rye with some onion and mustard. The Mike Ricci of sandwiches. 

Not a Wegmans sub, that's for sure. I already put my vote in for Reuben but I'm willing to accept other options.

Wegmans subs are Jody Gage, Captain of the Supermarket Sandwich team. But there's a local shop out there doing the NHL version of everything Wegmans does. You just gotta have scouts who know where to look.

I do know a place on hertel.... 

Pulled pork on a fresh kaiser roll with homemade bbq sauce and then on top, coleslaw (vinegar based). 

Reuben,

Pulled Pork with Slaw,

Chicken Finger Sub,

Philly Cheese Steak,

Beef on Weck, 

BLT,

Turkey Club,

Cuban or Cubano Sandwich 

note this is not in order, I am just listing things so we can start making lines. 

Edited by SkuggaLiger

Reuben,

Pulled Pork with Slaw,

Chicken Finger Sub,

Philly Cheese Steak,

Beef on Weck, 

BLT,

Turkey Club,

Cuban or Cubano Sandwich 

note this is not in order, I am just listing things so we can start making lines. 

good list.

i'll insist on an italian hero being in the top 6 and at least getting a letter, if it can't get the "C" (for "capicola").

and what about the meatball sandwich (sub)? probably a grinder at best (ha!), but it's the valuable sort of bottom 6 forward or steady #4 d-man that can steady the ship.

and honestly? chicken finger sub may need to be the captain of a Buffalo team.

good list.

i'll insist on an italian hero being in the top 6 and at least getting a letter, if it can't get the "C" (for "capicola").

and what about the meatball sandwich (sub)? probably a grinder at best (ha!), but it's the valuable sort of bottom 6 forward or steady #4 d-man that can steady the ship.

and honestly? chicken finger sub may need to be the captain of a Buffalo team.

The Italian is just such a versatile sandwich. So complete, so silky smooth.

The Meatball is a no bull number 1 defenseman. A franchise cornerstone.

The Chicken Finger consistently produces those "wow" moments. It brings you to the edge of your seat, regularly.

Plus there's no sauerkraut on any of them.

A hot dog

Solid choice.

Eleven,  I think you've actually done this one before.

Cubano would be my choice.  Ham, roast pork, cheese.

Omm nom nom....

I freaking love Cuban sandwiches.

JJ's is emergency food, much like McDonalds.

Agreed.  Jimmy John's just isn't that good.  Better than Subway, though.

bologna... leads by example, well liked in the locker room, plays a strong two way game.

FRIED bologna!

The BLT is the biggest disappointment there could ever be that called itself a sandwich.

You need to get yourself one at Gabriel's Gate.  You will NOT be disappointed.

Hey 11,

I hope you are prepared to /thread ...

Montreal Smoked Meat ..........

I always have wanted to try this.

I always have wanted to try this.

SO good.

We had a family vacation in MTL years ago, and my wife and I wound up eating MTL smoked meat sandwiches for like 4 of our meals (from different purveyors). We had not planned on that, but were inspired to do so once there.

Also: Is MTL smoked meat basically pastrami?

SO good.

We had a family vacation in MTL years ago, and my wife and I wound up eating MTL smoked meat sandwiches for like 4 of our meals (from different purveyors). We had not planned on that, but were inspired to do so once there.

Also: Is MTL smoked meat basically pastrami?

Emphatically ... NO!!

;)

The Italian is just such a versatile sandwich. So complete, so silky smooth.

The Meatball is a no bull ###### number 1 defenseman. A franchise cornerstone.

The Chicken Finger consistently produces those "wow" moments. It brings you to the edge of your seat, regularly.

Plus there's no sauerkraut on any of them.

I agree with this, especially the meatball being the 1D.

Chicken finger sub is your scoring winger who plays a 2-way game.

But my pick for captain? Danny's Favorite.

Ham. Capocollo. Salami. It's a 3-tool athlete.

Versatility lies within the toppings. Want more of a kick? Add onions and jalapeno peppers. Balance out the kick with some banana peppers. If your heart desires mustard or sub oil, throw it on. 

Danny's favorite is my captain and first line center.

Emphatically ... NO!!

;)

TIL:

I spoke with Eater's Robert Sietsema, who in 2009 wrote an article for Gourmet about the war of the rosy meats. "Good luck!" he said of the assignment, before describing smoked meat as "darker red, greasier, and less smoky." The catch? His visit to Schwartz's, Montreal's most famous smoked meat slinger, where he found the smoked meat "smokier and richer" than New York pastrami.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/difference-between-pastrami-smoked-meat-katzs-schwartzs-mile-end.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.