DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

An extention can be signed at any time by a current roster player as long as they are in the last year of their deal. If we trade for Karlsson, then he can be re-sign at any time.

Frankly, acquiring Karlsson is just making the same mistakes over again. He is 27, coming off a major injury and by the time this team might be good he’ll be 30+. Stupid.

But he wouldn't be in the last year of his deal until July

An extention can be signed at any time by a current roster player as long as they are in the last year of their deal. If we trade for Karlsson, then he can be re-sign at any time.

Frankly, acquiring Karlsson is just making the same mistakes over again. He is 27, coming off a major injury and by the time this team might be good he’ll be 30+. Stupid.

Eh I dunno. If he's as good as every says he is, our team should be upgraded immensely immediately, even with the subtraction of Risto. Aren't we hoping they can contend for the playoffs next season without Karlsson? I'd think adding him would give us a decent chance to make it, depending on how Botterill handles the other trades he makes.

The injury thing: people said the same about Stammer. Now look at him.

Acquiring a top 5 player in the NHL is never a bad thing.

This team has so many flaws getting Karlson would make us better, but not even close to a playoff team. There is no there there. We need more scoring, we need better goaltending, we need about 3-4 D, 7 better forwards etc.. Karlsson will help some of these, but may cost us more of our depth.

In the trade proposed, one of the three pieces was an as-of-yet undrafted player. We'd only be losing one extra player in the deal. One might think Karlsson's pedigree as one of the league's best overall players would be worth it. Botterill can still go about making the trades he envisions to make the team better, whatever improvements he wants to make for next season.

I think Karlsson's recent slump is really affecting viewpoints. And not without good reason. If we were talking about this at the end of last season, I wonder if anything changes.

Hmmmmmmm....Karlsson, Tavares.

Can I get a YES PLEASE! for both.

Only, there is no way I'm giving this years 1st or Risto in a deal for Karlsson.

We have a player we could put in a package for him, and I submit my opinion on reasons why Ottawa may consider.

To Ottawa

Ryan O'Reilly (26 yrs old, 7.5 mil, 5 yrs)

Zemgus Girgenson (23 yrs old, 1.6 mil, 1 yr, RFA)

Jake McCabe (24 yrs old, 1.6 mil, 1 yr, RFA)

Nick Baptiste (22 yrs old, RFA)

2019 1st rd pick

2020 1st rd pick

2019 3rd rd pick

To Buffalo

Erik Karlsson (27 yrs old, 6.5 mil, 1 yr)

Bobby Ryan (30 yrs old, 7.25 mil, 4 yrs)

Colin White (20 yrs old, 925k, 1 yr, RFA)

O'Reilly and Duchene back together.

Ottawa is seeking a center.

Girgensons as a utility player cheap frees up Ottawa to make other deals with the players they could potentially move.

McCabe as a cheap LD and is young.

I believe Ottawa would like to move on from Bobby Ryan. This affords them a reasonable opportunity to do so.

Colin White, while a great prospect, helps offset the overwhelming cost to Buffalo in this package, and debate it or not, that is reasonable imo given the package size.

Buffalo gets Karlsson, the #1 D man they've been looking for right in prime years. He'd be a reasonable re-sign and affords "options" defense wise with other players.

ROR and Bobby Ryan's contracts are a wash. Yes we lose a fantastic 2 way center, but I believe Ryan's career would flourish here in Buffalo. Maybe as Reinharts LW'er on line 2? Maybe, who knows. His contract is also a year less than ROR.

White adds to an already abundant center prospect pool. There is a new sheriff in town, and he believes in developing talent, not rushing it to potential failure.

This also leaves assets like Kane and Lehner Fred up for other deals, perhaps to gather in more 2018 draft assets to help off set the 19 and 20 loses in this deal.

In any event, imo, this is a fairly balanced deal value wise.

Thoughts?

Move Pominville and, if possible, Bogosain.

Sign John Tavares in the off season.

Cap would be fine.

Edited by Lucky E

Hmmmmmmm....Karlsson, Tavares.

Can I get a YES PLEASE! for both.

Only, there is no way I'm giving this years 1st or Risto in a deal for Karlsson.

We have a player we could put in a package for him, and I submit my opinion on reasons why Ottawa may consider.

To Ottawa

Ryan O'Reilly (26 yrs old, 7.5 mil, 5 yrs)

Zemgus Girgenson (23 yrs old, 1.6 mil, 1 yr, RFA)

Jake McCabe (24 yrs old, 1.6 mil, 1 yr, RFA)

Nick Baptiste (22 yrs old, RFA)

2019 1st rd pick

2020 1st rd pick

2019 3rd rd pick

To Buffalo

Erik Karlsson (27 yrs old, 6.5 mil, 1 yr)

Bobby Ryan (30 yrs old, 7.25 mil, 4 yrs)

Colin White (20 yrs old, 925k, 1 yr, RFA)

O'Reilly and Duchene back together.

Ottawa is seeking a center.

Girgensons as a utility player cheap frees up Ottawa to make other deals with the players they could potentially move.

McCabe as a cheap LD and is young.

I believe Ottawa would like to move on from Bobby Ryan. This affords them a reasonable opportunity to do so.

Colin White, while a great prospect, helps offset the overwhelming cost to Buffalo in this package, and debate it or not, that is reasonable imo given the package size.

Buffalo gets Karlsson, the #1 D man they've been looking for right in prime years. He'd be a reasonable re-sign and affords "options" defense wise with other players.

ROR and Bobby Ryan's contracts are a wash. Yes we lose a fantastic 2 way center, but I believe Ryan's career would flourish here in Buffalo. Maybe as Reinharts LW'er on line 2? Maybe, who knows. His contract is also a year less than ROR.

White adds to an already abundant center prospect pool. There is a new sheriff in town, and he believes in developing talent, not rushing it to potential failure.

This also leaves assets like Kane and Lehner Fred up for other deals, perhaps to gather in more 2018 draft assets to help off set the 19 and 20 loses in this deal.

In any event, imo, this is a fairly balanced deal value wise.

Thoughts?

Move Pominville and, if possible, Bogosain.

Sign John Tavares in the off season.

Cap would be fine.

I'm not sure that's even close to fair value. Even if you can Ryan and Ryan (ha) a wash (I'm not sure I do, B Ryan hasn't been very good this year from his stat line, and tread carefully on 30-year-old forwards with 4 year deals), I really doubt the best offer Ott'wa is going to get is "some pieces and some not-this-year picks" for Karlssssssson. 

Edited by MattiPaj

I'm not sure that's even close to fair value. Even if you can Ryan and Ryan (ha) a wash (I'm not sure I do, B Ryan hasn't been very good this year from his stat line, and tread carefully on 30-year-old forwards with 4 year deals), I really doubt the best offer Ott'wa is going to get is "some pieces and some not-this-year picks" for Karlssssssson.

True, I'm looking it at from an off season deal and much can happen yet.

Some don't. But I think with the right coaching and management you can get kids there.

An interesting fact for this discussion. According to some studies the male brain doesn’t fully mature until age 24 to 27.

I too have watched this team too long without quarterback at center and the kid is only 21. I just hope we have the right coaching.

An interesting fact for this discussion. According to some studies the male brain doesn’t fully mature until age 24 to 27.

I too have watched this team too long without quarterback at center and the kid is only 21. I just hope we have the right coaching.

This is true. It's a fact that I wish the criminal justice field would pay more attention to. They've proven that men age-out of crime as they get into their late 20's.

Us men just stay dumb longer.

I hope Housley is the guy that get Eichel on the right track. I'd still like another respected vet player on this roster to be his mentor.

Not so sure. He loves the area, and we can be very good. I don't know who would be his list of 10 no's

How do you know he loves the area?

There's a similar position on The Stadium Wall regarding Kirk Cousins. Someone says he likes Buffalo and has ties there. Where did that come from?