DEADLINE DAY -- Sabres trade speculation

matter2003

I can think of one person who says no, Karlsson himself.

Not so sure. He loves the area, and we can be very good. I don't know who would be his list of 10 no's

Just curious how do we know he loves the area, interviews and such?

Like NS says, this is all hypothetical if they want to trade him. If they do trade him, nobody is trading for a rental Karlsson

Yup

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

Multi quoted to show the details.

I'm pretty sure *the guy* (can we get a program / thread to identify who's account the Swedes have taken over ... some I can't tell who they are) was thinking that you saw some article that Karlsson likes the Buffalo area.  Then again, my reading comprehension is not the greatest, so maybe I have that all wrong.

Multi quoted to show the details.

I'm pretty sure *the guy* (can we get a program / thread to identify who's account the Swedes have taken over ... some I can't tell who they are) was thinking that you saw some article that Karlsson likes the Buffalo area.  Then again, my reading comprehension is not the greatest, so maybe I have that all wrong.

Brawndo

And yes, that's what that quote illustrates. I didn't mean it to say he likes Buffalo, though I can see it looks like that now, I meant a more broad area; Ottawa isn't going to want to trade him in conference, let alone in division, but Karlsson clearly wants to live in Ottawa while he's in the league, so he likely wants to live close to there, and so I don't think he's going to be wasting one of his 10 No Trades to Buffalo.

I'd guess

Vegas

CBJ

Florida

Carolina

Winnipeg

Colorado

Calgary 

Vancouver

Arizona

and then maybe some team he has a personal hatred for, like Montreal/Toronto/Boston

Edited by Jokertecken

Brawndo

And yes, that's what that quote illustrates. I didn't mean it to say he likes Buffalo, though I can see it looks like that now, I meant a more broad area; Ottawa isn't going to want to trade him in conference, let alone in division, but Karlsson clearly wants to live in Ottawa while he's in the league, so he likely wants to live close to there, and so I don't think he's going to be wasting one of his 10 No Trades to Buffalo.

I'd guess

Vegas

CBJ

Florida

Carolina

Winnipeg

Colorado

Calgary

Vancouver

Arizona

and then maybe some team he has a personal hatred for, like Montreal/Toronto/Boston

Interesting. You might be right. Buffalo could sneak through.

It's not that I don't want Karlsson, it's the depth I worry about.

That's where I fall.  It's the problem that you create with having two players at roughly 10AAV per season.  You come into issues with still having:  Okposo, Moulson, Bogosian, and others on the books as well.

I would say No

1) Because we stink and by the time we're ready, he'll be 40

2) If he can't save Ottawa how is he going to save us

3) He's a -16 in +/-, can you imagine him, ROR and KO on the ice together???? Geez

4) I'd rather have Adam Boqvist and hope he develops at #3, I'm still hopeful we'll finally win the lottery and get Dahlin, don't ruin my dream

5) Ottawa won't trade him.

“Certainly Doug Wilson’s track record is that he looks at everything that’s out there and they’ve got cap room, so that wouldn’t shock me if they looked into that,” considered LeBrun. “On the other hand, they put Ryan Carpenter on waivers today because they’re trying to sneak him down. They’ve got some bodies coming back. Donskoi is coming back here, and not too far behind him Boedker, so they’re starting to get some bodies back. And, of late, they’ve started to score more too for whatever reason.

“But certainly in the overarching picture, not only before the February 26 trade deadline but even perhaps more so in the offseason when the cap goes up, the Sharks I think are a real wildcard team in terms of what their willingness is to go out and be aggressive, and have the corresponding cap room to do it.

“Really, probably the two teams to keep the biggest eye on are San Jose and Montreal for the amount of cap room that they’re going to have in terms of being teams that are normally at the cap that aren’t right now. And both have GMs that obviously have not been scared to make big moves, regardless of how you feel about those moves.

“So yeah, those two teams for sure. And again, I almost think more June than now, but nevertheless, Feb. 26 offers another window as well when teams are willing to do things.”

Kane’s cap hit is $5.25 million, although there seems to be a willingness on the part of Sabres general manager Jason Botterill to retain some of that hit if the inducement is sufficient, and assuming the team even trades Kane.

The winger does not have any trade protection in his contract.

LeBrun believes Senators for sure looking to deal

The Sabres came up as a topic of conversation for Elliotte Friedman during a Monday appearance on Toronto’s SiriusXM NHL Network Radio.

“I think that they’re going to talk about anyone but Eichel,” noted Friedman in terms of trade potential. “I think they’re really going to try to look for a home run for Evander Kane in a trade."

https://www.fanragsports.com/lebrun-and-friedman-assess-nhl-trade-market/

Edited by Jokertecken

Let it be noted for the record that I proposed a wild trade scenario and Liger was the voice of reason.

He is 100% right that the Sabres should not trade for Karlsson without an extension in hand -- which means no trade until July 1, which means the lottery and the draft will already have occurred.

So:  let's say the Sabres end up with the #3 overall pick, and draft whoever the Senators would want at #3.

So it would be Risto, Reino and the #3 overall pick for a locked-up Karlsson at presumably $11MM per year x 8 years.

Who says no?

Not only do I make that trade if I'm Botterill, I get someone else to make the call as I'd be afraid I'd sound too giddy on the phone and sour the deal.

We are giving up an ideal 2nd pairing, borderline top pair Dman, a regressing winger who may be sent packing regardless, and a coin flip draft pick (in terms of being a true impact NHLer). For a legitimate franchise Dman, who helps salvage the prime of Eichel's career which he should be heading into shortly.

There's no way Ottawa makes this trade, as they'll have better offers.

I also easily make the trade now, if Karlsson basically agrees to an extension beforehand, similar to the ROR situation.

I think Botterill will make any trade that helps the team.

Overall however, I don't see players like O'Reilly being traded in season. Players with lengthy contracts usually get moved in the off-season when teams can be more flexible in what they do. For the in season work you only really look at the UFAs and some possible RFAs. This becomes even more true as time ticks away in the season.

Saying it again..

100% to be moved:

Kane

Pouliot

Georges

60/40:

Falk

Johnson/Lehner (1 of them and I would pick Lehner)

40/60:

Nolan

25/75:

Reinhart

Josefson

Girgensons

Past that I think everyone else is an off-season target at best.

For the reasons you mentioned, ie the lack of future contract, I think it's more likely than that that Reino is traded in season.

Do your percentages for those players listed go up when you include next offseason as well?

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Not only do I make that trade if I'm Botterill, I get someone else to make the call as I'd be afraid I'd sound too giddy on the phone and sour the deal.

We are giving up an ideal 2nd pairing, borderline top pair Dman, a regressing winger who may be sent packing regardless, and a coin flip draft pick (in terms of being a true impact NHLer). For a legitimate franchise Dman, who helps salvage the prime of Eichel's career which he should be heading into shortly.

There's no way Ottawa makes this trade, as they'll have better offers.

I also easily make the trade now, if Karlsson basically agrees to an extension beforehand, similar to the ROR situation.

The problem is Karlsson can't sign an extension until July 1, 2018 at the earliest. The trade would need to happen after that.

Edited by Alkoholist

The problem is Karlsson can't sign an extension until July 1, 2018 at the earliest. The trade would need to happen after that.

Unless it's a *wink wink nudge nudge* that Karlsson is indeed going to sign the extension with us. I'm not sure how those things work exactly though, the level of agreement that takes place behind the scenes, so it is indeed potentially risky.

Regardless, the trade is a no-brainer for the Sabres after July 1.

“I can tell you this: When I talk to other teams who have checked in with Ottawa, they’ve all told me that they were told that Karlsson is not being dealt,” relayed NHL Insider Pierre LeBrun during a Tuesday morning appearance on Vancouver’s TSN 1040. “Which I think is the answer we all thought we would get. I guess the question is maybe that’s the answer now, but will it change. Right?

“And the reason I say that is forget all of the fluff and everything else that’s being speculated, let’s deal with fact. The fact is this summer, this situation has to be dealt with one way or another – at the latest, anyway. It could be dealt with before, but I’m saying this summer as it gets closer to July 1 when you’re allowed to sign him to an extension – if you can’t get him signed, you have to deal him. I mean, there’s no way you can John Tavares this baby in a market like Ottawa, in a Canadian market, and think that the story is going to go away. Tavares did a couple of interviews early in the year and it’s gone away. That’s not going to happen in Ottawa.

“So this is coming to a head one way or the other, and certainly Karlsson has said he wants to sign and wants to stay. But I think if you’re the Senators, probably what you need to figure out between now and the end of the year is by talking to Newport Sports, who represents Erik Karlsson, is what is the likelihood of that really happening, of him wanting to sign. I think they somehow have to figure that out, even though you can’t get it in writing.

“Because if for whatever reason you’re Ottawa and you now realize that you can’t sign him – and I’m not saying that’s the case, but let’s just have fun with this – then should you wait until the summer to deal with this, or should you see what’s out there before February 26 because now you’re selling two playoffs of the great Erik Karlsson instead of just one. And that would obviously impact what you could get in return. 

“Now, I’m saying all of this because we’re just having fun with this, but the reality is I know that Pierre Dorion, the GM of the Senators, the last thing he wants to do right now is trade Erik Karlsson. But the fact is that like all of the other players with modified no-trades, all of the players on this team were asked for their lists.

“And that’s where it’s at.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/lebrun-on-karlsson-trade-potential-and-senators-ownership/

Na we did the same with O'Reilly I'm pretty sure

We traded for O'Reilly on June 26, 2015. He was extended on July 3, 2015. It was a risky move because he could have refused to extend with us but they gave him a truck load of money. Enough that he celebrated by driving his truck into a building. I imagine they at least discussed the parameters of a new deal with his agent before making the trade though. The fact that he signed an extension 2 days after he was allowed to by the rules of the CBA bears this out I would think.

Edited by Alkoholist

"Because if for whatever reason you’re Ottawa and you now realize that you can’t sign him – and I’m not saying that’s the case, but let’s just have fun with this – then should you wait until the summer to deal with this, or should you see what’s out there before February 26 because now you’re selling two playoffs of the great Erik Karlsson instead of just one. And that would obviously impact what you could get in return."

They are potentially selling a lot more than a single playoffs or two if they trade Karlsson, depending on how Karlsson feels about an extension.

The article acts like he'd only be seen as a rental in any trade. I suppose that is the possible situation, if EK has made/makes up his mind that he's definitely headed to UFA.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Unless it's a *wink wink nudge nudge* that Karlsson is indeed going to sign the extension with us. I'm not sure how those things work exactly though, the level of agreement that takes place behind the scenes, so it is indeed potentially risky.

And that's what you'd pretty much have to do if you trade for him any earlier. While an extension can't technically be signed before July 1st, I'm sure they'd be working out the parameters well before hand. I'm sure it happens all the time. How many times have we seen deals announced on free agent contracts being signed within an hour of free agency starting? These contracts are huge legal documents. There's no way they get read entirely (let alone written) that quickly. I'd have to assume the league knows and doesn't care, as long as it doesn't leak before hand.

Edited by Alkoholist

We traded for O'Reilly on June 26, 2015. He was extended on July 3, 2015. It was a risky move because he could have refused to extend with us but they gave him a truck load of money. Enough that he celebrated by driving his truck into a building. I imagine they at least discussed the parameters of a new deal with his agent before making the trade though. The fact that he signed an extension 2 days after he was allowed to by the rules of the CBA bears this out I would think.

We traded for him knowing he was signing an extension. I know we traded for him before he could have, but there was 0% risk that he wasn't going to

And that's what you'd pretty much have to do if you trade for him any earlier. While an extension can't technically be signed before July 1st, I'm sure they'd be working out the parameters well before hand. I'm sure it happens all the time. How many times have we seen deals announced on free agent contracts being signed within an hour of free agency starting? These contracts are huge legal documents. There's no way they get read entirely (let alone written) that quickly. I'd have to assume the league knows and doesn't care, as long as it doesn't leak before hand.

Yup.

So I agree, we are definitely getting Karlsson! I'm going to text all my friends.

We traded for him knowing he was signing an extension. I know we traded for him before he could have, but there was 0% risk that he wasn't going to

I agree, it was just in a wink wink the rules type of way because he and his agent technically weren't even allowed to negotiate an extension yet.  

For the reasons you mentioned, ie the lack of future contract, I think it's more likely than that that Reino is traded in season.

Do your percentages for those players listed go up when you include next offseason as well?

Absolutely.  I think the off-season will see some moves that open up the roster in the style the Botterill wants the Sabres to play. 

An extention can be signed at any time by a current roster player as long as they are in the last year of their deal. If we trade for Karlsson, then he can be re-sign at any time.

Frankly, acquiring Karlsson is just making the same mistakes over again. He is 27, coming off a major injury and by the time this team might be good he’ll be 30+. Stupid.