If you're able to attend a training camp session, please post your observations here.

Eleven

Surprisingly, I disagree with Pi and love Girgs with ROR and KO.

I desperately want to see Girgs resurrect the promise of his first year and think that line would be very hard to play against.

Also thought Jason would get the first shot with Eichel. Be interesting to see how that plays out.

I agree. I really like the Girgs-ROR-Okposo line as the do everything line. There are three players that are hard to play against that can play against the opponents best.

I agree. I really like the Girgs-ROR-Okposo line as the do everything line. There are three players that are hard to play against that can play against the opponents best.

My concern is that once the puck moves to Girgensons, the play will break down because he has no hands or creative offensive ability, not can he dish the pill with any amount of regular success.     

My concern is that once the puck moves to Girgensons, the play will break down because he has no hands or creative offensive ability, not can he dish the pill with any amount of regular success.     

He's 22 years old, so I don't think he's in the "he is what he is" territory yet.

Also, his linemates last year were guys like Moulson and Deslauriers. I wouldn't be overly excited to pass it back to them either. I think there's more skill in there than you do, and i'd like to see him given the opportunity to show it.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Pominville

While I've been skeptical that Pommer can keep up with Eichel, I'd be very interested to see these as the top 2 lines, especially if it leaves Reino as the #3 center with a reinvigorated Pouliot and one of the kids as his wingers.

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

While I've been skeptical that Pommer can keep up with Eichel, I'd be very interested to see these as the top 2 lines, especially if it leaves Reino as the #3 center with a reinvigorated Pouliot and one of the kids as his wingers.

Pomminstein has decent net presence.  When Vanek was a possibilty, I watched a video that showed all his goals last year.  A good many of them came with him either stationary next to the net, or cruising in late behind the rush.  I know Pommer and Vanek are not the same, but the point is that speed isn't the only way a player can be effective, and a wily veteran who's lost a step can be effective on an otherwise speedy line.

Sabres' lines Group B:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Pouliot-Reinhart-Moses

Deslauriers-Porter-Bailey

Griffith-Josefson-Baptiste

Hagel-Glotov

If Housley puts Reinhart at 3C he might actually be everything we think he is

Wonder if Beaulieu wants to play on the right and Antipin indicated he wants the left or vice versus. I just wonder if that has been discussed already.

Here's a fun video of all 5 guys attacking

https://twitter.com/JourdonLaBarber/status/908689612217966593

That clip, look at the top of the video. That's a defender, parallel to the forwards, entering the zone. 

@pham1717
Housley just stopped practice and lit into them hard for not attacking hard enough and not having enough speed. He wasn't happy.

If Housley puts Reinhart at 3C he might actually be everything we think he is

That clip, look at the top of the video. That's a defender, parallel to the forwards, entering the zone. 

@pham1717
Housley just stopped practice and lit into them hard for not attacking hard enough and not having enough speed. He wasn't happy.

That's nice and all, and not to be negative, but what happens when Girgensons turns it over entering the zone... boom, instant odd man rush going the other way.      That's my concern with firewagon hockey... .and they don't have a Pekka Rinne to back them up.

It's only Day One.  I'm sure Housley has a plan for that.

Bylsma had a plan for that too.... haha

Seriously tho, I'm looking forward to watching this system, will definitely be more fun to watch... win or lose.    Even as a Bylsma apologist, it's refreshing to have a progressive coach... seems like the players are excited about it.

Bylsma had a plan for that too.... haha

Seriously tho, I'm looking forward to watching this system, will definitely be more fun to watch... win or lose.    Even as a Bylsma apologist, it's refreshing to have a progressive coach... seems like the players are excited about it.

One thing I noticed today, comparing PH to DB, is the drills were MUCH simpler than the ones Bylsma ran. And that's comparing day one of TC under Housley & under DB.

Which would imply that he might ACTUALLY strive for having them play a more uptempo game than we've seen the past few years. Far too small a sample size, but it IS encouraging.

McCabe's comments were illuminating.  Seems the weak side defender is supposed to take three strong strides and be ready to commit to the offense if the situation warrants.  Making the reads simple and making sure everyone knows what they are might take time to iron out.

One thing I noticed today, comparing PH to DB, is the drills were MUCH simpler than the ones Bylsma ran. And that's comparing day one of TC under Housley & under DB.

Which would imply that he might ACTUALLY strive for having them play a more uptempo game than we've seen the past few years. Far too small a sample size, but it IS encouraging.

Interesting. And encouraging.

Who famously had the quote about Hot Daniel's system being overly complicated? Iginla?

http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/15/sabres-announce-preseason-broadcast-schedule/http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/15/sabres-announce-preseason-broadcast-schedule/

"Buffalo announced Friday that all of its exhibition games will be carried on WGR-AM 550. The final three games will also be shown on MSG."

I really wish they'd stream all of the pre-season games. We're desperate for Sabres hockey, GIVE US OUR FIX!

He's 22 years old, so I don't think he's in the "he is what he is" territory yet.

Also, his linemates last year were guys like Moulson and Deslauriers. I wouldn't be overly excited to pass it back to them either. I think there's more skill in there than you do, and i'd like to see him given the opportunity to show it.

This x1000

I read over this quickly, didn't see the "R," and thought I read "Leino," and almost had a heart attack.

Pomminstein has decent net presence.  When Vanek was a possibilty, I watched a video that showed all his goals last year.  A good many of them came with him either stationary next to the net, or cruising in late behind the rush.  I know Pommer and Vanek are not the same, but the point is that speed isn't the only way a player can be effective, and a wily veteran who's lost a step can be effective on an otherwise speedy line.

Especially if Kane, Eichel, and D-men are the primary impetus of the rush/zone entry.

but what happens when Girgensons turns it over entering the zone

Ok, we get it, you don't like Zemgus's play when he was playing with borderline NHL'ers. I still have memories of Zemgus's dangle vs. Detroit late in Nolan's last season. He has talent.

This x1000

Edited by ericcomposer72