Sportsnet predicts Vegas' picks at the expansion draft

Sabre fan

Sportsnet has recently taken a stab at what they think may be who Las Vegas will take at the expansion draft, to be held June 20, 2017. Here is that list and I am sure this will be definite food for thought...

Golden-Knights-mock-draft.png

I think we can all agree losing Matty would be a good thing at this point...any thoughts of other players they may take instead and from whom?

Without looking at the rosters, I find it hard to believe Edmonton wouldn't protect Letestu and Florida wouldn't protect MacKenzie.

But, I'm pretty sure Florida will have to leave either Lou or Reimer unprotected. I doubt Spuddy Gallant would pass on either of those guys.

Is there anyone on that list that you would like to see on the Buffalo Sabres roster?

At first glance, I didn't see anything.

Brodin! Maybe he's involved in that supposed deal that's on temporary hiatus. One can hope.

Doubt sportsnet did anything different than what many of us have: playing around with CapFriendly.

That said, hurray for Matty Mo!

Probably the best case case scenario for the Sabres, no?

Oh, I don't know ... it would mean a new avatar for Pi and not sure Sabrespace could handle that.  Although, anything would be better than that stupid ass one he is using now.  Thanks a whole heck of allot there Derrico.

Doubt sportsnet did anything different than what many of us have: playing around with CapFriendly.

That said, hurray for Matty Mo!

Probably the best case case scenario for the Sabres, no?

Well, maybe. Moulson was actually more effective last year than Ennis (insert low bar joke here), but I think most of us would be more hopeful for Ennis going forward. Anyway, I'd still probably prefer they take Bogosian because of the extra year on his deal.

Well, maybe. Moulson was actually more effective last year than Ennis (insert low bar joke here), but I think most of us would be more hopeful for Ennis going forward. Anyway, I'd still probably prefer they take Bogosian because of the extra year on his deal.

Nope, Ennis sucks. I hope he gets cut. Moulson sucks too.

Not like our defense is so deep that we don't need anyone on that list. I think Brodin would upgrade our defense (maybe the 2nd pairing) but that contract looked a little heavy.

I'd be ok with it. 4.5 isn't bad for a 23 yo who's coming into his own, and the contract will be up by the time he's 26. I'm picturing a d-corps that looks something like:

Risto - Brodin

McCabe - Guhle

Antipin - Bogo - Falk (whoever deserves what spots)

Thats at least a little better than last year, and much faster. Plus your Defense Cap hit is something like 19.5 mil (assuming around 1m for Antipin and including the buyout for Gorges at 1.3m per), last year it was closer to 23.5. Average age is only ~24, last year it was ~30. Now that I type that out, I wouldn't hate another cheap but decent vet on the team.

Edited by sabills

I'd be ok with it. 4.5 isn't bad for a 23 yo who's coming into his own, and the contract will be up by the time he's 26. I'm picturing a d-corps that looks something like:

Risto - Brodin

McCabe - Guhle

Thats at least a little better than last year, and much faster. Plus your Defense Cap hit is something like 19.5 mil (assuming around 1m for Antipin and including the buyout for Gorges at 1.3m per), last year it was closer to 23.5. Average age is only ~24, last year it was ~30. Now that I type that out, I wouldn't hate another cheap but decent vet on the team.

We spent nearly 25 mill on the terrible D group last year.  Any changes would be an improvement.  Cheaper, younger, faster, smarter are what we need.  Expansion is a huge opportunity to improve this D (Brodin and Vatanen) are at the top of the list.

I wrote in the other expansion thread that Moulson (10 mill cap hit over the next 2 years, but only $5 mill in salary) is a good target for LV to be and remain cap compliant as they build their team.  Would not be surprised at all if this is what ultimately happens.  However McPhee is going to extract some cost from us to insure he takes Moulson (or Ennis).

Edited by GASabresFan

Risto - Brodin

McCabe - Guhle

Doesn't Risto play on the right side? He's been OK, I don't think you switch sides on him for Brodin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.