Kovalchuk, and your interest thereof

sabills

So here's the Kovi situation as I understand it. 

He's interested in coming back to the NHL. The Devils own his rights, and he is currently on the Voluntary Retirement List. In order for him to come back to play in the NHL he can only re-sign with the Devils, and then be traded to another team. This information is from McKensie from TSN who tweeted about it earlier today.

Lets assume that he IS coming back, AND the devils would be willing to trade him for, lets say, a 3rd round pick or the equivalent. Are you interested?

The contract would be a BIG question mark to me, but if its reasonable for, like, a 2 year contract I would be very into the idea. He could take the spot we all picture Nylander having in a few years, give AN some more time to develop, sit on Jack or Sam's wing and just score goals. No pressure to be captain or the greatest thing in the NHL. If he could have half the career Jagr has had since coming back from overseas it would be a HUGE boost to this team.

Its so hard to predict this stuff w/o knowing who the hell the GM is and what they'll do, but I think its a feasible option for us.

Edited by sabills

So here's the Kovi situation as I understand it. 

He's interested in coming back to the NHL. The Devils own his rights, and he is currently on the Voluntary Retirement List. In order for him to come back to play in the NHL he can only re-sign with the Devils, and then be traded to another team. This information is from McKensie from TSN who tweeted about it earlier today.

Lets assume that he IS coming back, AND the devils would be willing to trade him for, lets say, a 3rd round pick or the equivalent. Are you interested?

The contract would be a BIG question mark to me, but if its reasonable for, like, a 2 year contract I would be very into the idea. He could take the spot we all picture Nylander having in a few years, give AN some more time to develop, sit on Jack or Sam's wing and just score goals. No pressure to be captain or the greatest thing in the NHL. If he could have half the career Jagr has had since coming back from overseas it would be a HUGE boost to this team.

Its so hard to predict this stuff w/o knowing who the hell the GM is and what they'll do, but I think its a feasible option for us.

There's no room for 50 goal scorers on the Sabres. :nana:

Just had to revive that classic SS meme.

There's no room for 50 goal scorers on the Sabres. :nana:

Just had to revive that classic SS meme.

God that's funny...I am still laughing as I try to type...I do not mind Kovo but we already have aging vets taking up valuable ice time from young guys who should be playing and learning as they go (as the Leafs did so well this year)

Absolutely not; nasty goal scorer but can't trust him to honor his contract. Besides I don't see how he'd fit in cap wise past the short term.

Point 1: Meh, doesn't concern me. He's not going to come back for a year and then leave again or something. Or at least I highly doubt it, why bother coming back if you didn't really want to?

Point 2: I agree somewhat; I need a short term deal with him. And if he wants lik 7 mil a year, no thanks. A reasonable, short term deal is what I want to sign up for.

God that's funny...I am still laughing as I try to type...I do not mind Kovo but we already have aging vets taking up valuable ice time from young guys who should be playing and learning as they go (as the Leafs did so well this year)

and furthermore he ain't worth anything more then 2 mill...

Point 1: Meh, doesn't concern me. He's not going to come back for a year and then leave again or something. Or at least I highly doubt it, why bother coming back if you didn't really want to?

Point 2: I agree somewhat; I need a short term deal with him. And if he wants lik 7 mil a year, no thanks. A reasonable, short term deal is what I want to sign up for.

He will want a 20 year contract at 12m a year, front loaded. ????

Hey, if the price is right and we have space...

I don't think he's interested in Buffalo though. I bet he'd want to stay in Jersey.

He should have to come back on the same exact contract.  It's still ridiculous that they were able to get out of that nearly free.

He left the NHL with term on his contract right? Would that contract resume if he came back?

Evidently his retirement nullified the contract, but NJ pays the cap recapture penalty until the heat death of the universe.  He's not technically a free agent until he's 35, though, hence the shenanigans if he wants to come back now. 

My thoughts:

How do we pay for him?  We'd have to trade Kane for a defenseman.  You can't invest more in the offense without at least counter acting for the defense, IMO.

Is he the type of player that accelerates the development of the young future Sabres or is he the kind of signing needed when Jack is around 23-24?

He'll easy get 5 - 6 mill, he comes back and scores 30 at least.

And he'd help our pk a lot. NJ was playing him a lot on their kill before he fled to russia. 30 goals plus, smother forwards on our pk, and come up with some shorties. Hes an amazing player, still cant trust him to honor an NHL contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.