Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

I can't tell you how many game line ups I've seen him put together that had me saying, what on earth is he thinking here? That goes for defense pairing also. I know he drove me nuts game to game.

It was a long time ago though I do remember him mixing up lines a lot towards the last couple years he was with us IIRC. Compared to how DB faired here though it would be a vast improvement. He does more with less.

I think he'd get a lot out of our players, Ruff was passionate on the bench too. Not sure how that resonates with players, but as a layman fan I loved it.

It was a long time ago though I do remember him mixing up lines a lot towards the last couple years he was with us IIRC. Compared to how DB faired here though it would be a vast improvement. He does more with less.

I think he'd get a lot out of our players, Ruff was passionate on the bench too. Not sure how that resonates with players, but as a layman fan I loved it.

Sure I remember Ruff getting angry. As a fan you want to see the coach go to bat for the players. I can't say I ever saw any emotion out of Bylsma.

I always liked Ruff but I think he needed a change to shake him up. That said I still think they need to look away from Ruff. He won't get a fair chance in Buffalo. Oh and...Actually I should have made it more clear that I was talking about DB and his game lineups.

Sure I remember Ruff getting angry. As a fan you want to see the coach go to bat for the players. I can't say I ever saw any emotion out of Bylsma.

Funny, whenever I think of Biysma and Murray together, it reminded me of two guys who haven't seen each other in twenty years and have nothing really to talk about anymore.

While this is probably true, the fact that you even know that DDB is religious is because it was mentioned when he got hired as one of the many reasons TP favored him, just like McDermott. That's something. And it's fine. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason he hired them, but let's not pretend that it wasn't a non-issue either.

Again:  let's see the specific quote from TP on this point before we start making assumptions about TP's hiring criteria.  Was it a reason that TP "favored" him -- i.e. preferred him to other candidates?  Or perhaps just a reason that TP admired him?  There's a big difference between those 2 concepts. 

Again again:  what about Rex, and what about firing DDB?

Again:  let's see the specific quote from TP on this point before we start making assumptions about TP's hiring criteria.  Was it a reason that TP "favored" him -- i.e. preferred him to other candidates?  Or perhaps just a reason that TP admired him?  There's a big difference between those 2 concepts. 

This was always my reading of it. Besides, if we're going to take him utterly literally...he had nothing to do with hiring Bylsma.

I only recall two instances, once about Bylsma, once about McDermott: not an exact quote, but something like "he's a man of faith" as one of several qualities he liked when asked what he liked about his new coach.

I agree this has been overblown by people reading it and projecting their personal views about religion.

Again: let's see the specific quote from TP on this point before we start making assumptions about TP's hiring criteria. Was it a reason that TP "favored" him -- i.e. preferred him to other candidates? Or perhaps just a reason that TP admired him? There's a big difference between those 2 concepts.

Again again: what about Rex, and what about firing DDB?

Are you honestly telling us that this is the first you have ever heard of this and we need to show yow you links in order for you to believe it? C'mon. Edited by SwampD

Here we go with this garbage again; I go to church every Sunday, don't drink alcohol and was in the choir as a child. I'm in no way a "little boy". The anti Christian non sense on this board is obnoxious.

I didn't disparage Christianity. I was more advocating for .

I think we can discuss our preference, or not, for faith based business and sports decisions without being snide and condescending. I read the word "obnoxious" in Saratoga's post and concluded it related to tone and respect. I think Saratoga has a point. When the "faith" in "faith based" is Christian, sneering ridicule often goes unchallenged. The same snickering drivel directed toward another faith would be rightly censored. We suffered Raptor Jesus for quite some time.

I'm no choir boy. I'm repectful toward those that are.

Thank you for this post.

For those claiming that TP has some kind of faith-based criteria for his FO/coaching candidates: pls post the specific quote, with a link.

I think there's far too much in here along the lines of "TP is religious, he said he admires McDermott's faith, he said it's important to hire people with character, and he's a simpleton, so he must think religious faith is the same as character, so he's only going to hire religious people."

It's a pretty slipshod syllogism built heavily on distrust of either or both of religion and TP.

It's also completely belied by the hiring of Rex (and I think by the firing of DDB -- IIRC, he's religious).

I don't have the time or energy at present to research my take -- just been going too hard with work, family, the extras. I know I've heard and read several references to this element from Pegula.

As to whether it's fair or defensible to be concerned about a certain type or style of Christian faith playing a role in Pegula's evaluative processes, I'll say this: There is an element of Christian faith in America that, I think, is quietly anti-intellectual, or perhaps just anti-analytical, and tends to undermine the roles of nuance, skepticism, and ambiguity in connection with critical thought. It's a world perspective that, arguably, reduces matters to an over-simplified conclusion based, in some significant measure, on the matter of faith.

Add to the mix the fact that Pegula has a poor track record to date of making decisions regarding the Sabres and Bills, and his mannner when speaking publicly (he really doesn't seem ... overly bright), and, well, you have a basis for a fair take, imo.

And, fwiw: A write-up re the McDermott introduction:

"There were others too as he was introduced as the 20th head coach in team history Friday, by owner Terry Pegula. Words like thorough, smart, decisive and faith-based winner. It all sounds great, but McDermott knows as well as anyone that results are what count in the NFL."

After the presser, I think the occam's razor explanation is essentially this:

-The on-ice results were bad

-The off-ice environment was a ###### show

-Pegula holds Bylsma and Murray jointly accountable for these things

I think it's that simple. The details are sure fun to speculate about and discuss, but at the end of the day, I think this is what happened.

To which I ask what are your options if you are Terry Pegula. Let things roll because it's only been two seasons (three for Murray) or blow it up because you don't see how it's getting better? He did the painful but correct thing here. He'll take his lumps from the all-wise experts but he did the right thing.

And, fwiw: A write-up re the McDermott introduction:

"There were others too as he was introduced as the 20th head coach in team history Friday, by owner Terry Pegula. Words like thorough, smart, decisive and faith-based winner. It all sounds great, but McDermott knows as well as anyone that results are what count in the NFL."

And I recall a similar plaudit being tossed Bylsma's way. I just can't find it -- too much noise from the recent firing.

kinda late to the party...we missed out on Gallant and Hitchcock both good coaches...I guess Lindy is still kicking around LOL looks more then ever like Lombardi and hopefully not Sutter

Missing out on Gallant is disappointing. Perfectly fine w/ Hitchcock going back to Dallas. His shtick wears out quickly.

This was always my reading of it. Besides, if we're going to take him utterly literally...he had nothing to do with hiring Bylsma.

Again, he said he wasn't involved "to any large extent." So he was involved. He just wants to be much, much more involved this time. Good news!

And I recall a similar plaudit being tossed Bylsma's way. I just can't find it -- too much noise from the recent firing.

SS is your friend!

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

Terry Pegula discusses the Bylsma hiring...

(video link was here but no longer works)

"He is a very good christian man"  - Terry Pegula

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23400-dan-bylsma-new-sabres-head-coach-now-official/?p=698620

Edited by PASabreFan

Folks, Terry Pegula drinks alcohol (I have witnessed this), owns at least two bars, and also has his own brand of beer.  He's not a teetotaler and he is not against drinking alcohol.

He hired Rex Ryan, who does not wear religion on his sleeve at all and certainly likes beer.  Same goes for Tim Murray and Ted Black, as far as I can tell.

I do not think his hiring practices are motivated by religion or alcohol use.

Edited by Eleven

Folks, Terry Pegula drinks alcohol (I have witnessed this), owns at least two bars, and also has his own brand of beer.  

He hired Rex Ryan, who does not wear religion on his sleeve at all.  Same goes for Tim Murray and Ted Black, as far as I can tell.

I do not think his hiring practices are motivated by religion.  

Judging by the employment status of the three you mentioned, one might say his hiring practices might not be motivated by religion, but apparently his firing practices are.

:lol:

Edited by SwampD

Judging by the employment status of the three you mentioned, one might say his hiring practices might not be motivated by religion, but apparently his firing practices are.

:lol:

Please don't throw gas on the tire fire while I'm trying to put it out!  (And Bylsma was fired, too.)

Edited by Eleven

Folks, Terry Pegula drinks alcohol (I have witnessed this), owns at least two bars, and also has his own brand of beer.  He's not a teetotaler and he is not against drinking alcohol.

He hired Rex Ryan, who does not wear religion on his sleeve at all and certainly likes beer.  Same goes for Tim Murray and Ted Black, as far as I can tell.

I do not think his hiring practices are motivated by religion or alcohol use.

Maybe he needs to cut back on the alcohol consumption when there is hiring to be done.  :ph34r:

Do people just not see the lol thingy?

Y'all need to lighten up. This all is just so stupid.

Terry, just get a good GM, get a good coach, and win.

LOL or not, you weren't aware that after last nights BS that this post would fire everyone up? That never crossed your mind?  Like you didn't know what you were doing...... OK..... right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.