Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Back up RBs can be found on the street. Please don't let them waste any real assets on one.

But RB's like Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt, and Alvin Kamara can't easily be found on the street.

I'm not going to get so upset anymore with the front office for drafting or not drafting certain positions. A lot of us didn't want yet another first round CB last year, and look how that turned out! I'm more concerned with just finding quality players. The silver lining behind having a team with so many roster holes and depth problems is that a policy of drafting best player available is sure to also match a need.

And so it ended, with me watching in a hotel room.  

Nice run, guys.  I appreciated it.  McDermott with some seasoning, maybe plug a few holes, maybe they win one next year.

Well, we may have been operating under the wrong cap assumptions regarding TT -- per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30922/tyrod-taylor-cordy-glenn-among-bills-trade-candidates-this-offseason

He's not going anywhere.  They're drafting Peterman's replacement, not Taylor's.  Whichever Q the Bills draft this year--and they will draft one--should not and will not start the season unless there is an injury to Taylor.

Well, we may have been operating under the wrong cap assumptions regarding TT -- per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30922/tyrod-taylor-cordy-glenn-among-bills-trade-candidates-this-offseason

Interesting.

And so it ended, with me watching in a hotel room.  

Nice run, guys.  I appreciated it.  McDermott with some seasoning, maybe plug a few holes, maybe they win one next year.

He's not going anywhere.  They're drafting Peterman's replacement, not Taylor's.  Whichever Q the Bills draft this year--and they will draft one--should not and will not start the season unless there is an injury to Taylor.

I don't think he should be, but I also think he almost certainly will be.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Isn't that what the plan was for Peterman this year ? So TT stays, the natives are restless, and we finish 8-8 or 9-7 next year with a newly drafted QB on the sidelines ? 

I'd rather finish 9-7 or 8-8 and not ruin yet another 1st round QB pick. I'm all for playing the long game here, not making decisions that hamper the team in 3-4 years.

I'd rather finish 9-7 or 8-8 and not ruin yet another 1st round QB pick. I'm all for playing the long game here, not making decisions that hamper the team in 3-4 years.

And how do you entice players to come or stay here playing the long game ? 

Was that a typo?! If not, then it is a virtual guarantee that Taylor is gone. $15-16 million saved with a $2-3million cap hit is absolutely awesome for the Bills.

I've read a bit more on the positives and negatives of Alex Smith. I'm slowly leaning toward bringing Smith in and letting him finish his career in Buffalo. He's only 33, which is only 4 years older than Cousins. He looks like a very solid bridge QB for a West Coast offense, and he'd allow the Bills to continue staying competitive on the field while giving Beane a bit more time in finding and grooming the franchise QB. Also remember that McDermott is a defense guy. He will want to use most of those early round picks on DL and LB, and it wouldn't be a bad route to take given the particular talent in the top 100 of the 2018 draft.

I am on board with all of this, unless Smith costs more than a 3rd-rounder.

Back up RBs can be found on the street. Please don't let them waste any real assets on one.

This too.

Beat me to it.  I think McD's actions since he got here, plus TT's poor showing in the playoff game, make it highly likely that TT is gone. 

And I have been a TT supporter, but if they can get Smith or Cousins or one of the Minny guys (or of course Brees, but I think there is zero possibility there), then I think they should do so.

Tyrod's roster bonus kicks in 3/16/2018, that's the $6M difference between Rodak's and TrueBlue's numbers. 

That bonus also makes trading him likely impossible. 

Edited by Lanny

I'm not sure I get the argument that Smith and Taylor are basically a wash. Smith threw for over 4000 yards and 26 TDs this season (while adding about 350 on the ground). Taylor threw for about 2800 yards and 14 scores (while adding about 425 on the ground). Smith had passes go for 20+ yards 65 times (13 of which actually went for 40+); Taylor did so 40 times (4 times for 40+). Smith can serviceably play a timing, tempo west coast offence; Taylor can't.

Interesting.

I am on board with all of this, unless Smith costs more than a 3rd-rounder.

This too.

Beat me to it.  I think McD's actions since he got here, plus TT's poor showing in the playoff game, make it highly likely that TT is gone. 

And I have been a TT supporter, but if they can get Smith or Cousins or one of the Minny guys (or of course Brees, but I think there is zero possibility there), then I think they should do so.

I can see the Bills moving on from Taylor to another veteran next year, but it's a bad idea.

Why give up assets (whether in trade, or, in Cousins's case, valuable long-term cap space) for the next placeholder?  Fact is, the Bills already *have* their placeholder on the roster.

I can see the Bills moving on from Taylor to another veteran next year, but it's a bad idea.

Why give up assets (whether in trade, or, in Cousins's case, valuable long-term cap space) for the next placeholder?  Fact is, the Bills already *have* their placeholder on the roster.

I think we've already discussed why: not all bridge QB's are the same. Taylor's style of play is not the same as Alex Smith's, for example. Moreover, his style of play makes it more difficult to evaluate the performances of players at other positions, specifically the WR's he refuses to throw to (but also the OL who have to constantly improvise their blocking positioning and sustain blocks longer because of Taylor's unconventional pocket presence). I refuse to believe Benjamin, Matthews, Jones, and Holmes are all as bad as their 2017 stats indicate.

But I agree with you that a new placeholder QB shouldn't cost us high draft picks or take up too much more cap space. And we can definitely do worse than Tyrod Taylor at QB. His teammates like him, too, which should count for something. 

I'd really like to know more about the salary cap consequences for cutting Taylor. It's hard for me to take a strong opinion on Taylor's future without knowing how much dead cap he will cost. Keep in mind that we already have the worst dead cap number in the league for 2018 at over $18 million.

I'm not sure I get the argument that Smith and Taylor are basically a wash. Smith threw for over 4000 yards and 26 TDs this season (while adding about 350 on the ground). Taylor threw for about 2800 yards and 14 scores (while adding about 425 on the ground). Smith had passes go for 20+ yards 65 times (13 of which actually went for 40+); Taylor did so 40 times (4 times for 40+). Smith can serviceably play a timing, tempo west coast offence; Taylor can't.

This was far and away the best statistical season of Smith's career. It was also clearly the worst of Taylor's 3 as a starter. The previous two season, Smith has had around (eye balling the averages here) 3500 yards, 18 TDs, 8 picks, 250 yards rushing, 3 rushing TDs. Taylor had about 3000 yards, 18 TDs, 6 picks, 550 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs. 

I don't think Smith repeats his best year, nor that Tyrod repeats his worst year. Qualitatively, Smith played for Andy Reid, one of the best offensive coaches of his generation. Tyrod had...Rick Dennison. Smith got to throw to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Tyrod had a one-legged Clay and half a year of one-legged Benjamin, busted Jordan Matthews, and...Zay Jones?

Edit: They also have pretty similar shortcomings. Smith has spent his career with fans complaining about things like not throwing to WRs, checking down too often, and throwing 6 yards passes on 3rd and 8. Sound familiar?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This was far and away the best statistical season of Smith's career. It was also clearly the worst of Taylor's 3 as a starter. The previous two season, Smith has had around (eye balling the averages here) 3500 yards, 18 TDs, 8 picks, 250 yards rushing, 3 rushing TDs. Taylor had about 3000 yards, 18 TDs, 6 picks, 550 rushing yards, 5 rushing TDs. 

I don't think Smith repeats his best year, nor that Tyrod repeats his worst year. Qualitatively, Smith played for Andy Reid, one of the best offensive coaches of his generation. Tyrod had...Rick Dennison. Smith got to throw to Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Tyrod had a one-legged Clay and half a year of one-legged Benjamin, busted Jordan Matthews, and...Zay Jones?

Edit: They also have pretty similar shortcomings. Smith has spent his career with fans complaining about things like not throwing to WRs, checking down too often, and throwing 6 yards passes on 3rd and 8. Sound familiar?

I was just about to mention this. How people can pine for Alex Smith in one breath and complain that Tyrod Taylor can't complete passes to the great Zay Jones and a hobbled Kelvin Benjamin in the next breath causes complete cognitive dissonance in my head.

I think the Bills should draft whichever QB they like that falls to them and let the guy learn behind Taylor. I also think they should fire the OC and bring in someone who isn't a complete moron.

Ahhite. Fair deuce. 

I do think Smith can be enough of an improvement to warrant bringing him in. But, as others have noted, I hope the team would not over-spend for that right.

It's difficult for me to contemplate another season of Tyrod at this point. Maybe that feeling will fade with time.

Tyrod's roster bonus kicks in 3/16/2018, that's the $6M difference between Rodak's and TrueBlue's numbers.

That bonus also makes trading him likely impossible.

Well, anyone trading for him is going to do so knowing what he will cost. It’s possible that the difference between $12MM and $18MM will be a deal-breaker, but probably not IMHO.

In any case, I think it’s more likely that he’ll be released.

Just get a decent QB, dont care how, just do it.

They have a "decent" QB. That, w/ the other 10 offensive pieces & Dennison's play calling, was worth 3 points in the playoffs.

They need "good" at a minimum & preferrably "great." But until they are reasonably certain they have good or great locked down, keep decent. It looks a lot better than Losman.