Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

So when the Bills had a 17 to 4 takeaway to giveaway ratio, the best in the history of the NFL, it was solely based on the superiority of their defense?

That, in combination with TT's ball security.

Edited by TräskB

So which is it, do we want to know if the Bills can hang with the jags or are we just happy they got here? Personally, I'm just along for the ride. Soaking it all in and enjoying the process :thumbsup:.

If someone asks how much different the Bills are from the jags and all I get is rebuttal even though I did so with tangible evidence suggesting the Bills may not be as good as their counter parts, I'm not sure what to tell ya. Go Bills?

I recon both teams are playing exactly who they want to be playing.

This. The Jags are no world beaters and neither are the Bills.

I'm just going to enjoy it. They're in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and they're facing an opponent that they are capable of beating if the lines show up and Taylor has a good game. We just have to hope McCoy is healthy enough to be productive.

Edited by Alkoholist

So when the Bills had a 17 to 4 takeaway to giveaway ratio, the best in the history of the NFL, it was solely based on the superiority of their defense?

It's a shame that this postseason birth doesn't mean anything because we had too many garbage time interceptions through 7 weeks. 

I think someone in this thread even used that fact to claim that we weren't winning another game when we hit 5-5, even though we beat every single non-patriot opponent after that streak.

Jacksonville has a better turnover differential than us right now.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bills!

They are if we don't have a healthy McCoy.

And we don't.

Dang.

Still, I'm hoping for another angry Meatwad to show up.

I'm not sure who or what Meatwad is, but I've been thinking a lot about how the history of NFL playoff football seems littered with fresh-legged flash-in-the-pan RB success stories. Who remembers Fast Willie Parker from the Steelers? I'm telling you, there is a real chance that Murphy could post a ~20-110-2 line against the Jags. Not a good chance. But a real one.

Offensively no, defensively significantly. The Bills were gifted 4-5 games through turnovers. The Jags had their share of takeaways as well but no team benefitted from them as much as the Bills. I think Tyrod may be slightly better than Bortles but thats mostly where it ends.

Tyrod is a lot better than Bortles. Bortles is easily a bottom-5 starter.

Offensively no, defensively significantly. The Bills were gifted 4-5 games through turnovers. The Jags had their share of takeaways as well but no team benefitted from them as much as the Bills. I think Tyrod may be slightly better than Bortles but thats mostly where it ends.

If you want to play that game....I could say that Jacksonville was gifted 4-5 games through a ridiculously soft schedule made even softer with the Luck and Watson injuries. But I'm not going to play that game. I think the Jags have a legitimately elite defense that is superior to Buffalo's defense because of the front 7 comparisons.

The secondary is another matter, however. I think both teams have elite secondaries. McDermott and Frazier are among the absolute best in the league at playing zone defense and at disguising coverages. Those interceptions weren't luck. They were a result of lots of good old-fashioned film study and mostly our safeties being in the right position to make plays while White/Gaines/Johnson/Milano did their jobs well in coverage.

The only reason why I think the Bills have a chance on Sunday is because of the battle between our secondary and Bortles. Marrone knows this and is going to do whatever it takes to get those 4 yards each carry. That's why we should just expect to play 8 men in the box all game. Play Poyer like another linebacker. And throw in some occasional 3-4 looks with Alexander and Hughes as OLB's.

On the other side of the ball, this new guy named Marcus Murphy better be able to get his own 4 yards per carry because I have zero faith in Tyrod Taylor doing anything right on his own other than not turning the ball over. Put a LB spy on Taylor, double cover Clay, and then sit back and watch Taylor get sacked 6+ times with 3-and-outs on every drive except against the 4th quarter prevent defense. We've all seen this over and over again this year, but it will be more pronounced against the Jags.

Although i am a colts fan i have a soft spot for the bills being a sabres fan. Absolutely loved watching all the videos on social media and especially the one of the players arriving back at the airport to be greeted by the fans.

Wish the Bills all the best and hope they get as far as they can. If that is Minnesota in February then i will be delighted.

The generational dynamic here is pretty interesting. You have a bunch of 20-something fans (and younger) who are going craaaazy over a playoff berth. And that's great, don't get me wrong. But then you have a lot of older fans who are thrilled, obviously, but some must be rolling their eyes just a little at the reaction. We remember 20 or 21 playoff games in about a 10-year span.